The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Flames - Canucks Another Canuck heading to Calgary

23 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They'd have to trade out multiple pieces. It would start to take away from the roster too much. 

They just traded out a 1st to get rid of Monahan. They would probably have to give more than that in order to re-sign Horvat, not to mention giving up pieces for Horvat. It wouldn't be worth it for the Flames in the end.

If anything they'd want Kuzmenko with his ELC.

My whole point was we aren’t going to trade with Calgary I just don’t see it happening 

39 minutes ago, Odjick 4 Premier said:

alright go on and cry in your pillow because nobody else hates Tanev like you do, sorry for not thinking like you there buddy lol 

In the past lol

is it in the past that the Canucks badly need RHD improvement to stop giving up 2 goal leads in the 3rd peroid ?

C6819725-71E2-4CC6-9849-092C79E5F26C.thumb.jpeg.b6dea6cd4aa5869238f22b731120c874.jpeg

What are you talking about? I said it was the past move on. You made up a whole other story about me hating Tanev and went into your standard retort about Benning let him walk and and and... You argue what you want to but never actually talk about what was said. There is no point talking to people that have no reading comprehension skills 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

What are you talking about? I said it was the past move on. You made up a whole other story about me hating Tanev and went into your standard retort about Benning let him walk and and and... You argue what you want to but never actually talk about what was said. There is no point talking to people that have no reading comprehension skills 

yet here you are replying back after saying you are finished after your last post lol

dude you started this whole conversation because you are butt hurt about Schenn for some reason and started crying about people bringing up the past lol

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

Canucks offer 1.7 million ? Flames offer 4 million what would you do?

His career turned around as in less injuries and last 2 yrs Tanev has be very very good..

Sure hope we don't let assets walk anymore..

Tanev - zerso return

Markstrom - zero return

Taffoli -- zero return 

Can't let top players like this walk.These 3 players should of brought good returns.

When are you suppose to get good returns for those 3 players?? Right before they hit UFA?  That isn't going to happen.  At the TDL?  Well we got Toffoli for the playoff run.  So that's 1 person out, the other 2 well, if we're trading players to help with the playoff stretch, I'm sure there wasn't going to be a reason to actually trade them at the TDL.  So again, when can they be traded for good returns, because you're not going to get a lot for pending UFAs right before they hit free agency.

7 hours ago, Viper007 said:

When are you suppose to get good returns for those 3 players?? Right before they hit UFA?  That isn't going to happen.  At the TDL?  Well we got Toffoli for the playoff run.  So that's 1 person out, the other 2 well, if we're trading players to help with the playoff stretch, I'm sure there wasn't going to be a reason to actually trade them at the TDL.  So again, when can they be traded for good returns, because you're not going to get a lot for pending UFAs right before they hit free agency.

Horvat is a great example..He should of been signed before season started? 

Can you imagine hearing president talk on radio about the player? Rutherford needs to stop going verbal about the coach..This has happened at least 3 times now... Players like Bruce..

Rutherford saying we will try and sign Horvat but his great start only help his trade stock value???

I bet Bo Horvat is leaving this team come this summer.. I can only imagine how he feels and this wife and parent will be the only people he vents with..

Love Bo Horvat playing so good.. Like Horvat style #2 centre on any team and #1 centre on a few teams..

10 hours ago, Odjick 4 Premier said:

One that plays both is what the Flames really need incase lose either 1C or 2C to injury 

Most teams don't have the luxury of a third top six center just hanging about on the wing. Flames need help on the wing and realistically they can't afford to extend Horvat given how their cap is structured. They aren't giving that up to rent Horvat. 

It also doesn't make sense for them to pay the higher cost of trading with a direct divisional rival. 

They don't need a center, Horvat doesn't make sense for them, they need help on the wing and it'd be much more cost effective to pursue a winger who plays in another division. 

Doesn't matter how the trade works for the Canucks if it doesn't make sense for Calgary. 

Edited by Coconuts

15 hours ago, Viper007 said:

You plan a year in advance for Markstrom. Get Demko in more games early, and figure out if he's ready. If not, pick up a washed up has-been to shelter Demko while he gets ready. Absolutely 0 excuses for letting a vezina-caliber goaltender walk for free, when the return should have been extremely high if he was traded with some term on his contract. 

25 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

You plan a year in advance for Markstrom. Get Demko in more games early, and figure out if he's ready. If not, pick up a washed up has-been to shelter Demko while he gets ready. Absolutely 0 excuses for letting a vezina-caliber goaltender walk for free, when the return should have been extremely high if he was traded with some term on his contract. 

So you're trading your #1 goalie while in a playoff chase.  That would go very well with all the players on the team.  No team who is in a playoff hunt would trade their #1 goalie unless they're purposefully tanking.  If the canucks were tanking, they wouldn't have traded for Toffoli in the first place.  Your planning makes no sense.  Demko was a backup and the goalie of the future for the Canucks.  I still believe the Canucks made the right decision and kept Demko.  Markstrom isn't doing much better with Calgary this season.  

Also Markstrom has no term on his contract.  He was a UFA.  So what sort of extremely high return do you get with no term on his contract?  Plus you're going to trade away your #1 goalie after his father passed away?  Wow you have absolutely no sympathy.

1 hour ago, Viper007 said:

So you're trading your #1 goalie while in a playoff chase.  That would go very well with all the players on the team.  No team who is in a playoff hunt would trade their #1 goalie unless they're purposefully tanking.  If the canucks were tanking, they wouldn't have traded for Toffoli in the first place.  Your planning makes no sense.  Demko was a backup and the goalie of the future for the Canucks.  I still believe the Canucks made the right decision and kept Demko.  Markstrom isn't doing much better with Calgary this season.  

Also Markstrom has no term on his contract.  He was a UFA.  So what sort of extremely high return do you get with no term on his contract?  Plus you're going to trade away your #1 goalie after his father passed away?  Wow you have absolutely no sympathy.

Then you re-sign him to a long term deal, let Demko remain backup for one more year, and then trade Markstrom. There are a ton of teams right now that have mediocre to bad goaltending that would be willing to give up assets for a goalie as good as Markstrom. Again - doable if planned for in advance.

There was no planning. Just every offseason, try a hail mary to make the playoffs. 

Weird to insinuate that the team didn't have options. Good teams don't let star players walk for nothing. 

18 hours ago, Viper007 said:

Also idk what you mean that pending ufa's (rentals) don't command high returns at the tdl

considering that you also referenced toffoli and that he was in fact a rental.. and he cost us a lot to get lol. 

plenty of such cases, barclay goodrow comes to mind

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Then you re-sign him to a long term deal, let Demko remain backup for one more year, and then trade Markstrom. There are a ton of teams right now that have mediocre to bad goaltending that would be willing to give up assets for a goalie as good as Markstrom. Again - doable if planned for in advance.

There was no planning. Just every offseason, try a hail mary to make the playoffs. 

Weird to insinuate that the team didn't have options. Good teams don't let star players walk for nothing. 

There was an expansion draft where you could only protect 1 goalie.  That's why Demko was chosen and Markstrom was left to pursue free agency.  All the trades were planned for the expansion draft.  Were they planned well?  That's a different discussion.

15 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Also idk what you mean that pending ufa's (rentals) don't command high returns at the tdl

considering that you also referenced toffoli and that he was in fact a rental.. and he cost us a lot to get lol. 

plenty of such cases, barclay goodrow comes to mind

Ya the canucks were buyers that TDL.  Not sellers, so why would you trade Markstrom?

Just now, Viper007 said:

There was an expansion draft where you could only protect 1 goalie.  That's why Demko was chosen and Markstrom was left to pursue free agency.  All the trades were planned for the expansion draft.  Were they planned well?  That's a different discussion.

Cool then to my earlier point, trade Markstrom at the deadline to a contender. Idk. Simple enough if there's any belief in long term planning over desperately throwing it all in every season. 

1 minute ago, Viper007 said:

Ya the canucks were buyers that TDL.  Not sellers, so why would you trade Markstrom?

Yeah well maybe they shouldn't have been buyers, knowing what the future was going to hold, and how many top tier assets they were going to have to let walk for free. 

3 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Yeah well maybe they shouldn't have been buyers, knowing what the future was going to hold, and how many top tier assets they were going to have to let walk for free. 

Can't jump to the future to find out what will occur later.  I don't know about you, but I definitely enjoyed the bubble playoff run.  Gave me an escape from COVID and being stuck at home.  I'm glad they picked up Toffoli for that run.  In hindsight would the Canucks do it again?  Hard to say.  Schaller and Madden haven't done anything.  So far the 2nd round pick hasn't done anything either.  So if you look at hindsight, the Canucks would probably do that trade again.