The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 FIFA World Cup

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, AngryElf said:

Jonathan David looked invisible this game. Needs to be better if we're going to have a chance against Croatia or Morocco. 

The best chance for us to get passed the qualifying round is if Belgium beats Croatia and Morocco, whereas we win one (Croatia) and draw the other. It'll be tough but after todays showing? They honestly have a shot.

Belgium: 3 - 0 - 0 (9 pts)

Canada: 1 - 1 - 1 (4 pts)

Morocco: 0 - 1 - 2 (2 pts) 

Croatia: 0 - 2 - 1 (1 pt)

The key is that Belgium doesn't lose, and we get at least one win.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, c00kies said:

I mean, that's all true, but I thought Canada might get a high from the first game and get some goals. 

I agree that Canada put on a good show though, which shows promise for the next two games.

Yeah, and to be fair, Canada's first 20-30 minutes looked like they were riding that high.  Even in spite of missing the penalty, they carried on and looked hungry.  Not many teams in club football can carry on like that, much less in internationals.

Sorry to be that guy, but honestly, I'm a bit tired of seeing all these headlines and opinions on what a great effort it was and how we were the better team, but unlucky....moral victories don't count in the standings and this was a huge missed opportunity.

With Croatia and Morroco playing to a draw, 1 point would have been a fantastic result. It would have meant that we had the toughest game out of the way with everyone even in the table and the Belgians would have had to go all out in their next two.

And we still don't have an effing World Cup goal....<_<

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Sorry to be that guy, but honestly, I'm a bit tired of seeing all these headlines and opinions on what a great effort it was and how we were the better team, but unlucky....moral victories don't count in the standings and this was a huge missed opportunity.

With Croatia and Morroco playing to a draw, 1 point would have been a fantastic result. It would have meant that we had the toughest game out of the way with everyone even in the table and the Belgians would have had to go all out in their next two.

And we still don't have an effing World Cup goal....<_<

Yeah, I do agree.  Nothing can be disputed about Canada's overall effort (it was good, and certainly admirable), but the game, for me, was done in the second half.  Canada had their share of possession and managed to get in some crosses to create some chances in the last 45 minutes, but it was a relatively straight-forward second half for Belgium.  Canada rarely penetrated their box in a meaningful manner and were kept to the perimeter for the most part.  The intensity of the first half just wasn't as matched and it showed.

More than the injuries on Belgium's end, the frustrating part is that De Bruyne put in a genuine 2/10 in this game, Tielemans was awful, Belgium's back three played hot potato for the quarter of the game, Carrasco looking completely out of his depth against Buchanan, and Canada just didn't make Belgium pay for any of that.  The manner the goal was conceded, too, was also pretty frustrating, and to be honest, a bit amateurish in that sense.   As good as Miller and Vitoria were, to be carved by a lobbed pass through the middle - just awful.  

I think they'll carry on well against Croatia and Morocco, but they have to definitely have to be more clinical and more consistent over 90 mins.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

210 nations are eligible to enter the tournament. Canada had to win 25+ games just to get in. I think some ppl are under estimating how competitive it is.

Canada's entire qualification spanned 20 games.  

They swept their round one against the lower-end Caribbean/Central American teams, won their H2H against Haiti, and did the business in the final/cumulative qualifying round with the rest of the juggernauts in CONCACAF.

I'm not sure were you're getting 25+ wins from, much less why you're bringing different organizing bodies into qualification to this tournament at all lol.

Just now, MaxVerstappen33 said:

210 nations are eligible to enter the tournament. Canada had to win 25+ games just to get in. I think some ppl are under estimating how competitive it is.

I don't think anyone is underestimating how competitive Belgium is, but a 1-nil loss in a game that you had a penalty shot is a missed opportunity. I'm not blaming the lads, they gave it a good go, but nobody should be happy with a "moral victory" after that match............It's a big disappointment.