The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roberto Luongo to be inducted into Canucks Ring of Honour

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Completely wrong, should be retired. What a joke.

He stole more games than I can remember, statistically led the Canucks in virtually every goalie record, back stopped us to a Final, was the number one goalie for the Canucks winning the Presidents trophy, won 2 gold medals in the Olympics, one of which was here in Vancouver (where he was the number one).

He is the HHOF for crying out loud. 

The guy needs his number retired.

What a disgrace. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • RoughGame 3

3 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Yet bailed at the first sign of trouble. 

I'm more pissed at sticking us with his cap recapture when he EASILY could have gone on LTIRetirement.

Still, he's the best goalie we've ever had and was a major piece of one of the best teams we've ever had.

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

He bailed because of Torts at the outdoor game. I was there. We all were booing the disrespect 

A player that deserves to be in the rafters will suck it up instead of bailing.

That 'my contract suck' quote sealed his fate for me with regards to jersey retirement. 

• RoughGame 3

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

He ultimately put himself before the team and that is a no go for me for jersey retirement. 

We can agree to disagree. 

Couldnt disagree more. They strung him along for 2 years, after making a 10+ year commitment to him, and he still came back.

A2D.

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

He stole more games than I can remember, statistically led the Canucks in virtually every goalie record, back stopped us to a Final, was the number one goalie for the Canucks winning the Presidents trophy, won 2 gold medals in the Olympics, one of which was here in Vancouver (where he was the number one).

He is the HHOF for crying out loud. 

The guy needs his number retired.

What a disgrace. 

When he came to Vancouver everything changed. Everything. The near 20 year goalie graveyard vanished. He took the position to heights we had never seen. Then on top of all the accolades he was one of the most popular Canucks ever, & he even served as captain.

Not just a HHOFer - which, lets be honest, probably doesn't happen without coming to Vancouver - a FIRST BALLOT HHOFer.

This is completely wrong & an embarrassing decision imo. I'm embarrassed they shortchanged him like this. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Couldnt disagree more. They strung him along for 2 years, after making a 10+ year commitment to him, and he still came back.

A2D.

Of course he came back. He didn't have a choice there hence a contract. It was coming back or retiring and forgoing tens of millions. 

I love this team and I always will but man they just can't make a good decision to save a life.  Best goalie in franchise history by far, only hall of fame goalie. The reason they didn't retire his number is cause of McLean and I love captain kirk but he has one playoff run on his resume otherwise a very average goalie.

Luongos Stat line is up there with greats like Roy Brodeur sawchuk Belfour etc 

He should have played in the heritage classic and he should have his jersey retired.

Later on this year the Canucks will continue with bone headed decisions by trading horvat, I'm sure.

It's so frustrating being a fan of this team

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

They were way more at fault for the whole thing than he was, he would've retired a Canuck if it wasn't for the team. 

Doesn't matter to me. Guess I just have a higher standard to what needs to happen for a jersey retirement hence wasn't a big fan of retiring Burie either. 

If we didn't have the ring for great players thenbI am with you in retirement but there must be a line distinguishing the two. 

To me thise deserving jersey retirement are those like Bieska that have to be thrown overboard with great difficulty. 

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

Doesn't matter to me. Guess I just have a higher standard to what needs to happen for a jersey retirement hence wasn't a big fan of retiring Burie either. 

If we didn't have the ring for great players thenbI am with you in retirement but there must be a line distinguishing the two. 

To me thise deserving jersey retirement are those like Bieska that have to be thrown overboard with great difficulty. 

The difference to me is level of performence. Sedins, Luongo & Bure are HHOF players who had their best seasons in Vancouver - and lead the team to the most success we've ever had. Burrows was apart of that & was arguably just as popular a player but he wasn't a HHOF player. There's your example. 

And again I'd argue Luongo was throw overboard with great difficulty b/c he had already committed the rest of his career to us.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

The difference to me is level of performence. Sedins, Luongo & Bure are HHOF players who had their best seasons in Vancouver - and lead the team to the most success we've ever had. Burrows was apart of that & was arguably just as popular a player but he wasn't a HHOF player. There's your example. 

And again I'd argue Luongo was throw overboard with great difficulty b/c he had already committed the rest of his career to us.

He requested a trade. That is the cardinal sin for me. No matter the circumstance, a Canuck deserving of jersey retirement never ask for a trade. 

• RoughGame 2