The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Nux have given permission for Boeser’s agent to talk to other teams

RWJC

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They’ve got Dahlin, Power and Samuelsson locked in and 17 mil in cap space to address the D.

Adding scoring and fixing the D can both be achieved.

I don’t think the Devils are looking at their forwards and thinking they have too much offense.

And not a single one of them is 23 as of today, hence my stating that if they're looking to add vets it'd likely be on D. That's a very young defense that could absolutely use some veteran presence. Nice problem to have though, Power will be legit and Dahlin is one of the best in the league at 22. 

Buffalo also has Thompson's extension kicking in, needs to find a legit starter, and will need to pay a slew of young, talented RFA's sooner than later. I understand that you'd love to trade Boeser but I just don't see the Sabres as a fit. New Jersey has given up the 2nd least amount of goals and has the 5th ranked PK in the league, not remotely the same scenario. Buffalo bleeds goals and doesn't have an issue scoring them, their bleeding goals is likely what they'll prioritize addressing. 

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He’s on pace for 14 goals, his lowest total since coming in the league.

Not sure what you’re talking about not underperforming…

Hes paid as a goal scorer, not to pick up easy points playing with Horvat and Petey.

Oh man …easy points…. Not to mention he’s always played on the top 6 loli guess all his points were “easy” 
if he was scoring it would be because hes potting tap in from EP or horvat. Clearly you’ve made up your mind now grasping at straws to justify it. Underperforming seems to be the soup of the day excuse. Sucks so bad he’s 148th in league scoring  while playing being 349th in average minutes. But hey don’t let facts ruin a good story. 

I’m good with trading him I just don’t need to fabricate a story line. 

We need cap space picks prospects or flips

I think the return will be minimal when he is moved but mainly because this team like alway is trading from a position of weakness and other GMs know it. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

And not a single one of them is 23 as of today, hence my stating that if they're looking to add vets it'd likely be on D. That's a very young defense that could absolutely use some veteran presence. Nice problem to have though, Power will be legit and Dahlin is one of the best in the league at 22. 

Buffalo also has Thompson's extension kicking in, needs to find a legit starter, and will need to pay a slew of young, talented RFA's sooner than later. I understand that you'd love to trade Boeser but I just don't see the Sabres as a fit. New Jersey has given up the 2nd least amount of goals and has the 5th ranked PK in the league, not remotely the same scenario. Buffalo bleeds goals and doesn't have an issue scoring them, their bleeding goals is likely what they'll prioritize addressing. 

You missed my point completely then.

I wasn’t comparing the two teams. I was making the point that no team looks at their offense and says “we’re good”. You can always improve.

Buffalo has the cap space that fixing those those things you mentioned and beefing up the offense is not mutually exclusive. 

Buffalo is a team that can’t attract players in free agency (unless they severely overpay) so they have to acquire them through trade. Boeser would be a relatively cheap acquisition that they wouldn’t have to part with young assets for.

I have no doubt they would be interested.

7 minutes ago, combover said:

Oh man …easy points…. Not to mention he’s always played on the top 6 loli guess all his points were “easy” 
if he was scoring it would be because hes potting tap in from EP or horvat. Clearly you’ve made up your mind now grasping at straws to justify it. Underperforming seems to be the soup of the day excuse. Sucks so bad he’s 148th in league scoring  while playing being 349th in average minutes. But hey don’t let facts ruin a good story. 

I’m good with trading him I just don’t need to fabricate a story line. 

We need cap space picks prospects or flips

I think the return will be minimal when he is moved but mainly because this team like alway is trading from a position of weakness and other GMs know it. 

You need to watch the games cause clearly you’re just stat watching.

This season he hasn’t been a 7 million dollar player, not even close. 

No team is looking at him and seeing a top 6 player. They’re seeing a team that continues to put him in a role out of loyalty and probably to boost his stats.

His trade return will prove my point so I don’t really need to argue with you. We’ll be lucky if a team like Buffalo or Detroit take a chance on a resurgence from him for a couple cap dumps.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Mantha deal makes sense, we aren't gonna get what we could have for Brock last season or the season before.

Thing about Mantha is he still has another year and the cap savings are nothing.

My worry about Mantha is his impact could be similar to Boeser just with a physical / size component and he's been struggling since his surgery apparently so not sure what level hell get to.

Hes also another left handed stop 6 guy to add.

which would leave Kuzmenko as our only Right handed top 6 forward. could be an issue.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You need to watch the games cause clearly you’re just stat watching.

This season he hasn’t been a 7 million dollar player, not even close. 

No team is looking at him and seeing a top 6 player. They’re seeing a team that continues to put him in a role out of loyalty and probably to boost his stats.

His trade return will prove my point so I don’t really need to argue with you. We’ll be lucky if a team like Buffalo or Detroit take a chance on a resurgence from him for a couple cap dumps.

post of the week right here. 

5 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Thing about Mantha is he still has another year and the cap savings are nothing.

My worry about Mantha is his impact could be similar to Boeser just with a physical / size component and he's been struggling since his surgery apparently so not sure what level hell get to.

which would leave Kuzmenko as our only Right handed top 6 forward. could be an issue.

Would love to see Mantha here. Reminds me of when Jeff Carter went through a few down seasons, then came back and wrecked everyone for a decade.  

1 minute ago, EddieVedder said:

Would love to see Mantha here. Reminds me of when Jeff Carter went through a few down seasons, then came back and wrecked everyone for a decade.  

Mantha definitely has another level to his game.

He’s playing on a third line with Eller and Johansson right now. Of course he’s not gonna out up points in a checking role.

Put him in Boeser or Hoglanders slot and I bet he starts scoring again.

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

He has size that he doesn't use. I don't understand how that is worth having a worse overall player with like you said, minimal cap savings. If we were so concerned with cap, we never should have re-signed Boeser to begin with. Now we are justifying trading him for some cap dump. We look so stupid. Especially since Boeser will look better on another team. Our franchise is such a joke right now. I am not saying not to trade Boeser. I think we need to blow up the roster. But if we're gonna do it, we gotta do better than Mantha. Jeez.

58 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Boeser isn't even underperforming. In what world is 0.8 points per game for a 23rd overall pick underperforming? He is better than Mantha in everyway. It's not a trade that makes sense for us. Unless the goal is to try compete. Cause if Mantha regains his form, why would we trade him? You don't think the team will see him playing good and think "hey maybe we can make a run."

And not to mention we already don't have room for Boeser, why would Mantha be any different? He's literally a worse Boeser. So somehow he's magically gonna find his form here despite being stuck behind a bunch of other wingers? If we're moving Boeser it better be for prospects or a mid 20s top 4 D that needs a change of scenery. Not for a distinct downgrade winger that CDC thinks we can EA and trade for prospects at the deadline for no reason.

hes not a better skater than mantha. did you just throw that out there hoping people would buy that, just because mantha is a big dude?  

We just played Washington a few games ago- Mantha was skating beautifully. 

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Mantha definitely has another level to his game.

He’s playing on a third line with Eller and Johansson right now. Of course he’s not gonna out up points in a checking role.

Put him in Boeser or Hoglanders slot and I bet he starts scoring again.

Funny, cause other than a handful of games most of the time Boeser is playing with Dries and Garland. I doubt Mantha is better off with them over Eller and Johansson.

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Funny, cause other than a handful of games most of the time Boeser is playing with Dries and Garland. I doubt Mantha is better off with them over Eller and Johansson.

Define most of the time. That line is fairly new and both Garland and Boeser have jumped all over the lineup.

Boeser also gets more than twice as much powerplay time as Mantha on a 6th ranked powerplay. (Washington is 22nd)

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You missed my point completely then.

I wasn’t comparing the two teams. I was making the point that no team looks at their offense and says “we’re good”. You can always improve.

Buffalo has the cap space that fixing those those things you mentioned and beefing up the offense is not mutually exclusive. 

Buffalo is a team that can’t attract players in free agency (unless they severely overpay) so they have to acquire them through trade. Boeser would be a relatively cheap acquisition that they wouldn’t have to part with young assets for.

I have no doubt they would be interested.

Perhaps, but teams only have so much flex at any given time and if the Sabres are going to prioritize anything it's likely going to be their ability to keep pucks out of their net. Getting a goaltender is a good start and will eat up their cap, if they want to bolster their bottom six and PK, which they should considering it's 27th overall, that'll also cost them. If they decide to bolster their D as part of trying to shore up their goals against that'll probably also cost them. In a cap world you don't necessarily get to address everything at once, sometimes you've got to prioritize an area and it makes a lot more sense to try and shore up a weakness than worry about what's been a strength. 

There's also no guarantee Buffalo's in a rush to try and force things, or that they're in a rush to cap themselves out. As for attracting talent, lot of teams are squeezed capwise, if they're willing to pay I reckon players will come. Maybe they take Boeser for pennies on the dollar but I don't think they need him. As I've mentioned, they're fine at right wing and better off trying to bring in defensive players for their bottom six than trying to add a third top six winger. 

Maybe they look at Boeser for pennies on the dollar, I don't see it as a need though. I do think Boeser ends up being traded but I see other teams having more interest, the Islanders for example, they could actually use a jolt in their top six considering they're a middle of the road team offensively. I've proposed Boeser for Bailey and I think that makes a lot more sense than Boeser to Buffalo.

21 minutes ago, R3aL said:

The point of a Mantha deal is he expires a year sooner. No, it doesn't help us much immediately but it gives us cap flex a year sooner and that in itself would be a win for Boeser at this point. 

16 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Sounds more and more like Brock gets traded and Brock for Dumba makes a lot of sense. Boeser isn't a great top 6 winger, Dumba isn't a great top 4 RD but it would make sense.

Dumba not resigning with us though would really hurt...

Minny already turned down a Boeser trade about 3 times over the past 3 years

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Perhaps, but teams only have so much flex at any given time and if the Sabres are going to prioritize anything it's likely going to be their ability to keep pucks out of their net. Getting a goaltender is a good start and will eat up their cap, if they want to bolster their bottom six and PK, which they should considering it's 27th overall, that'll also cost them. If they decide to bolster their D as part of trying to shore up their goals against that'll probably also cost them. In a cap world you don't necessarily get to address everything at once, sometimes you've got to prioritize an area and it makes a lot more sense to try and shore up a weakness than worry about what's been a strength. 

There's also no guarantee Buffalo's in a rush to try and force things, or that they're in a rush to cap themselves out. As for attracting talent, lot of teams are squeezed capwise, if they're willing to pay I reckon players will come. Maybe they take Boeser for pennies on the dollar but I don't think they need him. As I've mentioned, they're fine at right wing and better off trying to bring in defensive players for their bottom six than trying to add a third top six winger. 

Maybe they look at Boeser for pennies on the dollar, I don't see it as a need though. I do think Boeser ends up being traded but I see other teams having more interest, the Islanders for example, they could actually use a jolt in their top six considering they're a middle of the road team offensively. I've proposed Boeser for Bailey and I think that makes a lot more sense than Boeser to Buffalo.

The point of a Mantha deal is he expires a year sooner. No, it doesn't help us much immediately but it gives us cap flex a year sooner and that in itself would be a win for Boeser at this point. 

I fully understood the 1 year sooner.

Still 1 year though when we need cap next year to sign players and make changes though. 

But maybe he could be a deadline deal after too. But I have a hard time visualizing aa top 6 with 5/6 being lefties if Horvat is resigned.

Tyler Bertuzzi would be the same issue.