The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Getting Calls on Luke Schenn

Warhippy

17 minutes ago, myre said:

Well of course they may have. But a very good model to make your team better is by drafting quality players not trading draft picks for other teams cast offs.

The majority of second rounders never play a game in the NHL.  Baer was a pretty sure thing NHL player at that point........those are the deals you should use draft picks for

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

The majority of second rounders never play a game in the NHL.  Baer was a pretty sure thing NHL player at that point........those are the deals you should use draft picks for

Absolutely not! This argument also is getting quite tiresome. Many first rounders don't become NHL players either. But unless you have more bullets in the chamber, you're never going to know. There has been top defenseman drafted in the second round. Just like the pick we gave away was. No general manager in the right mind is going to trade a decent player that they drafted in the first round for a second round pick If that player is a quality player, does that make sense? While in a perfect world, I can understand your argument when you say that is the trade that should be made, but it is very seldom that a player is given up on that is drafted in the first round and traded away in their early 20s. In fact, it's probably more rare that that happens then it is a decent player being selected in the second round.

Edited by myre
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, myre said:

Absolutely not! This argument also is getting quite tiresome. Many first rounders don't become NHL players either. But unless you have more bullets in the chamber, you're never going to know. There has been top defenseman drafted in the second round. Just like the pick we gave away was. No general manager in the right mind is going to trade a decent player that they drafted in the first round for a second round pick If that player is a quality player, does that make sense? While in a perfect world, I can understand your argument when you say that is the trade that should be made, but it is very seldom that a player is given up on that is drafted in the first round and traded away in their early 20s. In fact, it's probably more rare that that happens then it is a decent player being selected in the second round.

I'll take a known commodity every time over a lottery ticket, with a first being the exception

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, mll said:

He helped develop Horvat - gave him some skill to play with vs grinders only.  

I agree, giving Horvat some actual skill to work with definitely helped develop him. Baertschi was easily on his way to being a consistent 20-25 goal 50 point winger if concussions didn't get the better of him. Not a top line producer, but definitely solid 2nd line production. He basically could have been a slightly better goal scoring version of Garland. Plus, while not a defensive stalwart, he wasn't bad defensively. 

Just now, stawns said:

I'll take a known commodity every time over a lottery ticket, with a first being the exception

Yeah it's worked out really well. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is kind of the definition of insanity, isn't it?

1 minute ago, myre said:

Yeah it's worked out really well. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is kind of the definition of insanity, isn't it?

that's how most teams are built, not just Van.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't

Can you name a team in NHL history built soley on draft picks?  Or even mostly on draft picks?

Just now, Diamonds said:

I agree, giving Horvat some actual skill to work with definitely helped develop him. Baertschi was easily on his way to being a consistent 20-25 goal 50 point winger if concussions didn't get the better of him. Not a top line producer, but definitely solid 2nd line production. He basically could have been a slightly better goal scoring version of Garland. Plus, while not a defensive stalwart, he wasn't bad defensively. 

And the dman drafted with that pick is a 50 point right shot smooth skating top 2 dman. Again, I don't even think this should be a debate.

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

that's how most teams are built, not just Van.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't

Can you name a team in NHL history built soley on draft picks?  Or even mostly on draft picks?

I think the better question is can you name a team that has been successful by trading their pics away for other teams cast offs? Also, you're kind of missing the point if we were in a position where we should be trading pics for these players. Sure. Maybe that's something however we never were. We desperately needed those pics

2 minutes ago, myre said:

I think the better question is can you name a team that has been successful by trading their pics away for other teams cast offs? Also, you're kind of missing the point if we were in a position where we should be trading pics for these players. Sure. Maybe that's something however we never were. We desperately needed those pics

every team that's ever won a stanley cup