The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Getting Calls on Luke Schenn

Warhippy

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

But not to use for yourself though right. I ask again, why would any GM trade for picks then?

Doesn't seem to add up.

They're good for currency and when your franchise is in the right spot, sure, play the lottery 

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's literally a strategy every team has used and does use

Devon toews acquired by Colorado for two 2nd round picks, neither of which will likely amount to much.  Pretty good deal for the Avs, no?

He was like 27 when he was traded.

11 minutes ago, myre said:

I never claimed you did say they all worked out. I'm just telling you it's a poor strategy. In fact, I think you're absolutely wrong and I think more second rounders work out then these reclamation projects. Also, I pointed that out to you because you are now moving on to 3rd and 4th round picks and pointing out other teams make those trades. I was specifically talking about second rounders. I don't really like management moving any pics to be honest but it is part of the business. However, especially when you are a team where we are at. We shouldn't be trading first or second rounders and that's being about 10 years now. It should have been that way

Carolina acquirex Teuvo Teravinen for a 2nd and a 3rd, neither of which have had an NHL impact

I picked two teams, col and car and both teams have traded multiple picks for young players who became instrumental in their rebuild, re-tool......whatever you want to call it 

Every team in the league does it.

Just now, stawns said:

Carolina acquirex Teuvo Teravinen for a 2nd and a 3rd, neither of which have had an NHL impact

I picked two teams, col and car and both teams have traded multiple picks for young players who became instrumental in their rebuild, re-tool......whatever you want to call it 

Every team in the league does it.

Dude you are all over the map. Carolina took advantage of a cap strapped team wasn't a reclamation project imo but I could give you that one if you want and in my defense I will offer up. Keith, Anderson, Weber, Subban, and the list goes on. Also. I'm not too sure he was instrumental but again that's your words. As for the other trade Toews was like 27. You just said a couple posts back 21 to 23 years old so you're contradicting yourself. You're just talking about any trade now. The only issue I took with your comments was supporting the reclamation projects. Trading for Devon doesn't even meet what you said when you mentioned 21 to 23. You are really confusing my friend

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

Certainly, at this point, acquiring draft picks should be down on their list of priorities, outside of the first round anyway.  They need to deal with the now first.  They need young players in the 21-23 range who are ready to jump i to the NHL and/or start making an impact.

There's a lot of people here who think there's only one way to skin a cat.

Well first of all this is about acquiring a pick for Schenn, where you are saying they are useless so you would rather have nothing. Second, we're not getting any 21-23 year old impact players for Schenn. What you get is most likely rubbish in that case.. Third, the team should be focused and capable on all fronts, including draft picks so we have a prospect pool in 5 years. Not to mention players that make it can certainly make an impact in less than 5 years anyway. In fact if you have a steady stream of picks that shouldn't even matter. Teams on the cusp like TB, Toronto, Boston, Dallas, and Colorado, should be making the types of moves you describe, not the team fighting with Arizona, San Jose, and Chicago for 4th last place.

Not sure where you're getting this idea that we need to be super impatient and fix this overnight. That's why we're here now.

• Cheers 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

So?

So that is hardly a 21 to 23-year-old reclamation project. Again in my opinion you are all over the map because I think you have failed on this one. So I'm just going to say c'est la vie to this. Cheers

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well first of all this is about acquiring a pick for Schenn, where you are saying they are useless so you would rather have nothing. Second, we're not getting any 21-23 year old impact players for Schenn. What you get is most likely rubbish in that case.. Third, the team should be focused and capable on all fronts, including draft picks so we have a prospect pool in 5 years. Not to mention players that make it can certainly make an impact in less than 5 years anyway. In fact if you have a steady stream of picks that shouldn't even matter. Teams on the cusp like TB, Toronto, Boston, Dallas, and Colorado, should be making the types of moves you describe, not the team fighting with Arizona, San Jose, and Chicago for 4th last place.

Not sure where you're getting this idea that we need to be super impatient and fix this overnight. That's why we're here now.

No, I said I would't take that for schenn and would rather just re-sign him.  And, I said I'd rather have a young player, in the 21-23 range rather that a long shot draft pick.

• Like 1

Just now, myre said:

So that is hardly a 21 to 23-year-old reclamation project. Again in my opinion you are all over the map because I think you have failed on this one. So I'm just going to say c'est la vie to this. Cheers

You sure get upset about people on the internet having a different perspective than you hey?

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

You sure get upset about people on the internet having a different perspective than you hey?

I'm not upset at all. This conversation is very confusing. You're saying multiple different things I'm not even sure you know what you're advocating for. You are free to have your opinion i certainly don't share it but I'm not upset or mad. You keep changing your point so I'm moving on. Truthfully I'm going to bed. Cheers.

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

No, I said I would't take that for schenn and would rather just re-sign him.  And, I said I'd rather have a young player, in the 21-23 range rather that a long shot draft pick.

Haha, okay then we are done for tonight my friend. I must retire. I will leave this here just in jest because a funny thought popped into my head. I pictured a guy in a suit running around a grand theft auto level with Stawns stenciled over his head. He then proceeds to club other GM's over the head stealing their little hockey card icons like Mercer, Holtz, Lohrei, Lafrenier, Wright, Schnieder, Beniers, Nemec, and then drops off a Schenn, Myers, or Boeser card.

Cheers, Just joking around. Have a good night. :P

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Sandin-Pellika is an undersied offensive dman who may really struggle defensively in the NHL. Tyson Barrie comparable. We already have an offensive dman in Hughes.

Rather go with Reinbacher and Bonk.

And hopefully we get a little luck and Strbak falls to us in the early 2nd round.

Simashev would be an excellent pick if we ended up with him. He’s big and can skate while playing a defensive game and offensive upside, Sergachev type upside if he puts it together.

• Vintage 1