The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Getting Calls on Luke Schenn

Warhippy

1 hour ago, myre said:

In my opinion, this should never be the thought process of a rebuilding team. I understand there is the human side of everything, however this is a perfect opportunity to load the gun with another bullet.

Yeah it's a business and smart decisions need to be made. People are acting like they're sending him off to fight in the front lines or something. Geez lol. Surely he's not the first spouse that still has to head off to work again amidst a pregnancy. I'm sure whatever team he goes to gives him a couple days off anyway. We need to capitalize on expiring UFA's like any smart team.  ... for once. These are the exact types of non-moves that have us mired in this mess in the first place.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

But it could very well make a difference, Edler, Marchand, Letang, Killorn, Quick, Parayko, Trochek..........all selected in the third round. Cole Cassels also selected in the third round too haha.

Point is, - another fantastic player drafted in the third round - whether you like what the team is doing or not or have confidence or no confidence in management there is always a possibility a third rounder can turn into an NHLer. 

Couldn't resist that correction brother 

58 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I question whether a second round pick is really worth making this move. Schenn wants to be here. He costs so little and can mentor incoming defencemen. If we move him now, just as his new baby is entering this world, he won't be wanting to rejoin this group in the fall. It'll be a burned bridge rather than a mentoring bridge and steady, hard-nosed defenseman for good value, all for what's likely to be a late second round pick that may never materialize into anything.

While i agree 100%, i bet he gets moved for a second rounder…

They should set the price high. 

I’m hoping it’s for Boston’s first and they bounce out in the first round. And Schenn re-signs with us. 

• Like 1

I can see it playing out that we take a Cap dump back with Schenn and get the return bumped up to a late 1st or help that team retain a part of a salary in another deal as a handshake agreement. You can weaponize Cap space in a Schenn return because only contenders are after him and we have the LTIR to do so.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stawns said:

A late 3rd isn't going to make a hill of sh!t of difference in whatever kind of rebuild/retool they're going for here, outside of currency.  A late 2nd would be a similar scenario.

I believe we were talking about a second rounder.

38 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

But it could very well make a difference, Edler, Marchand, Letang, Killorn, Quick, Parayko, Trochek..........all selected in the third round. Cole Cassels also selected in the third round too haha.

Point is, whether you like what the team is doing or not or have confidence or no confidence in management there is always a possibility a third rounder can turn into an NHLer. 

Well said!

30 minutes ago, stawns said:

The odds are not ever in our favour.  A handful of players in the hundreds or thousands of misses doesn't change that.  Further to that a player taken in this rounds is 5 years out if they do happen to beat the odds to get to the NHL

So we have better odds rebuilding our team by keeping him?

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah it's a business and smart decisions need to be made. People are acting like they're sending him off fight in the front lines or something. Geez lol. Surely he's not the first spouse that still has to head off to work again amidst a pregnancy. I'm sure whatever team he goes to gives him a couple days off anyway. We need to capitalize on expiring UFA's like any smart team.  ... for once. These are the exact types of non-moves that have us mired in this mess in the first place.

Absolutely!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

A late 2nd rounder, so not much difference 

It’s not true, 32 draft positions is a huge difference in value. Raty was a a player projected to go first round and fell to a late 2nd rounder at 52 overall, you might get lucky and snatch a faller you had at 30-40th. 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

My opinion, there's a significant difference between a late second and a late third. Also, I can think of the top of my head of a couple franchise defenseman from the second round so I think they can help turn an organization around just saying

4 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

It’s not true, 32 draft positions is a huge difference in value. Raty was a a player projected to go first round and fell to a late 2nd rounder at 52 overall, you might get lucky and snatch a faller you had at 30-40th. 

And that player would still be 5 years out

5 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

I feel like that Russian the next kovalev will fall significantly. Probably a top five talent, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall into the second round

1 minute ago, stawns said:

And that player would still be 5 years out

So do you think this is a contending team? In my opinion, you are part of the problem. You will not embrace a rebuild. How many times do you need to miss the playoffs to recognize The team needs to rebuild? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

So ... I'm really confused here. Does this mean all teams should trade all their picks unless they are top 15 / top 20, or whatever your cutoff is?

I can't quite wrap my head around this thinking.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, myre said:

So do you think this is a contending team? In my opinion, you are part of the problem. You will not embrace a rebuild. How many times do you need to miss the playoffs to recognize The team needs to rebuild? 

A rebuild means trading the team's best players, a lot of fans don't want to do that.  I think Pettersson has the chance to be the best Canuck of all time. 

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

So ... I'm really confused here. Does this mean all teams should trade all their picks unless they are top 15 / top 20, or whatever your cutoff is?

It just means you need better scouts. Nashville has a 7th round pick playing for them right now.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, myre said:

I'm part of the problem?  I'm a person on an internet discussion board

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

If you make smart trades, trading picks is a good plan and a plan that every team uses