The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 27, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

If we are going to trade him, be prepared for a little bit more than Claude Girouix got.   Toews and Kane 50% retained could also be on the market as well.   Yes Horvat, like Miller last year and well Claude Giroux, will be the prized rentals.   Just hope you don't have ridiculous expectations like quite a few had with trading Miller last season.   Miller actually did it 3 years in a row - not one - and before anyone starts talking about EP - or wingers - Horvat had equal time with all those guys last season too.   If it's about money that I get, but agree with the panel, you win cups with Horvat on the team (five or so games ago).   It won't paralyze or hurt our team by re-signing him.    Sure maybe we lost out a bit by playing hardball.   And if Horvat wants 9.5 x 7 then bye bye.  Same as some who were thinking 10 for Miller lol.  It's not going to happen.   

And Horvats return likely will be underwhelming. 

Edit:  And Miller had another year on his deal.   We all know what that deal was.   That's about what we can expect best case - trading Horvat.   I also not even sure we do.   If we climb back into a nice safe spot.   

I think it's expected the Canucks aren't getting the return they desired if they were to trade Horvat. I am already expecting this considering he's just going to be a rental.

Having said that underwhelming doesn't mean you can't get a good return.

I remember people here thought the return for Cory Schneider was disappointing. 

My favourite quote here actually is "for Bo Horvat? Even his name sounds like he's a bust" :lol:

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Listened to the radio on my drive earlier.

One fan text'd in saying ' even if the Canucks win the next 10 in a row, wont be happy. This team needs to be rebuilt'

Think about that.

We are scoring like bandits, we have a good core that is the right ages and in the right positions. 

We have been without one of those core pieces, a very important one, Demko. We still need a few tweaks and some more time for our developing stars to bloom. Remember, players do evolve, some folks act like players will remain the same despite gaining experience. 

If we won 10 striaght, 20 more points we would be sitting pretty. However, some fans want it all ripped apart? wow.

Maybe it's too much fantasy league stuff or video game hockey ?

Maybe people aren't just wanting to win a cup but demand to try to build a dynasty?

I dunno, but this batch of players have a lot of potential. Nothing is ever going to be perfect and granted, unless you build that dynasty, you will need a good helping of luck.

Under this ownership we arn't going to re-build. Load it up and let's go.

Well, if the Canucks always suck, then some people will never be wrong. It's also a way to control and rationalize disappointment. 

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Do you not notice people saying this every year and yet it never happens?

It's not so easy to just switch any given team's 3 or 4 worst contracts for good ones.

Pearson is not overpaid 15-20g /35-45 points when healthy, 3.250

Garland is not over paid, 40-50 points when hes not struggling 4.950

Boeser is not over paid, 65-75 points if he can ever play a full season 6.650

I think we can both agree that there is a formula in place for money per points totals. 10 points = a milly! 

Miller is also pretty much bang on his contract/ points.

8m roughly 1 ppg= 82pts currently hes at 30 pts in 33gp and struggling 

11 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Listened to the radio on my drive earlier.

One fan text'd in saying ' even if the Canucks win the next 10 in a row, wont be happy. This team needs to be rebuilt'

Think about that.

We are scoring like bandits, we have a good core that is the right ages and in the right positions

We have been without one of those core pieces, a very important one, Demko. We still need a few tweaks and some more time for our developing stars to bloom. Remember, players do evolve, some folks act like players will remain the same despite gaining experience. 

If we won 10 striaght, 20 more points we would be sitting pretty. However, some fans want it all ripped apart? wow.

Maybe it's too much fantasy league stuff or video game hockey ?

Maybe people aren't just wanting to win a cup but demand to try to build a dynasty?

I dunno, but this batch of players have a lot of potential. Nothing is ever going to be perfect and granted, unless you build that dynasty, you will need a good helping of luck.

Under this ownership we arn't going to re-build. Load it up and let's go.

We don't have a good core. Or at least the right mix. 

If the team's core was good it wouldn't have missed the playoffs 2 years in a row and still counting. And the Bubble year wasn't even a real appearance. 

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

7 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Chicago was the definition of futility pre dynasty going back to the 90’s 

CHI did have a great team in the 90's too.   The one that beat us was great.   Belfour/Hasek Chelios Roenick etc etc etc ...

Edited by IBatch

3 minutes ago, BCNate said:

No sane person is blowing this up.  We have one of the best forward groups in the league, none of them over 30 YO.  Demko has been excellent for almost all of his career, save for this years start.  I think he was not 100%, but I may be wrong.  We have a dynamic young puck moving D in Hughes.  We are 2-3 good trades away from being a very good team.  

Agreed; 2-3 pieces, and we figure out the slow starts and issues in the room. If it’s leadership, we need to fix it..lack of system, get a new coach…bad personalities, replace them…or??

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Not at all how that works. Constant crying about fans celebrating a win and blaming the teams mediocrity on that celebrating is beyond pathetic. 

But sure keep white knighting for the debbie downer. 

Ok we get it already. You want everyone who has anything negative to go away. How about just worry about your own comments instead of trying to control others. It really shouldn't matter to you one way or another what anyone else thinks as long as you believe in the team and the direction that's your choice. I can believe what I want and you can too but no one should take it personally to start name calling and trying to make themselves look like they are the better fans. The reality is that no one really knows anything about each other and how long they have been fans for. Almost feels like a fight to see who is the better fan. The board is created to express opinions whether negative or positive. Ignore people if you don't like their comments, I do.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Pearson is not overpaid 15-20g /35-45 points when healthy, 3.250

Garland is not over paid, 40-50 points when hes not struggling 4.950

Boeser is not over paid, 65-75 points if he can ever play a full season 6.650

I think we can both agree that there is a formula in place for money per points totals. 10 points = a milly! 

Miller is also pretty much bang on his contract/ points.

8m roughly 1 ppg= 82pts currently hes at 30 pts in 33gp and struggling 

Pretty much this I even said at the time you’re beyond ridiculous if your concerned about Pearson who at worst is overpaid by 250-750k at most. 

if you’re gonna be upset about a quality middle 6 player costing you a Josh Leivo PTO, I don’t know what to tell you. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ok we get it already. You want everyone who has anything negative to go away. How about just worry about your own comments instead of trying to control others. It really shouldn't matter to you one way or another what anyone else thinks as long as you believe in the team and the direction that's your choice. I can believe what I want and you can too but no one should take it personally to start name calling and trying to make themselves look like they are the better fans. The reality is that no one really knows anything about each other and how long they have been fans for. Almost feels like a fight to see who is the better fan. The board is created to express opinions whether negative or positive. Ignore people if you don't like their comments, I do.

Incorrect, but thanks for trying. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, -DLC- said:

So you avoided answering which sort of answers it for me.

You can't pin something on this group that goes back to 8 years ago. They weren't participating in failures that date back that far.

Well, I never initially said anything about a specific team. I’m speaking about the Canucks in general, the organization. 

Yes, I can, the organization has been a disaster outside of a few things in the last 8 years. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, BCNate said:

No sane person is blowing this up.  We have one of the best forward groups in the league, none of them over 30 YO.  Demko has been excellent for almost all of his career, save for this years start.  I think he was not 100%, but I may be wrong.  We have a dynamic young puck moving D in Hughes.  We are 2-3 good trades away from being a very good team.  

But nothing in the pipeline. As the folks in Sportsnet 650 said. 

The Horvat and Boeser years are practically wasted 

Pettersson, Demko, and Hughes have around 4 or 5 prime years left in which it will probably take that same amount of time for the organization to get out of their cap troubles and rebuild the prospect pool.

Honestly it's tempting the blow things up. As some analyst in Sportsnet "there really is no path for the Canucks other than pain"

Just now, J-23 said:

Well, I never initially said anything about a specific team. I’m speaking about the Canucks in general, the organization. 

Yes, I can, the organization has been a disaster outside of a few things in the last 8 years. 

Well it’s an entirely different group and despite narratives flying around we’re a year and a month into it. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

So you avoided answering which sort of answers it for me.

You can't pin something on this group that goes back to 8 years ago. They weren't participating in failures that date back that far.

So maybe people growing impatient of not making the playoffs need to actually stay current rather than dwelling on the past. These guys battled back pretty hard last year and nearly made it despite a dismal start. 

Yes.   And well they aren't out yet.   

• Cheers 2