Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pele Has Passed Away


Elias Pettersson
 Share

Recommended Posts

Football legend Pele 'is moved to end-of-life care' in hospital, as doctors stop chemotherapy with his body not responding to it in fight against bowel cancer

 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-11498037/Football-legend-Pele-moved-palliative-care-hospital.html?ito=push-notification&ci=qDiz9Aj1Of&cri=7mXrjDSf8n&si=l0ZeeW8BFH-J&xi=05ebb8ab-baa8-4b12-9baf-4a41a45c6677&ai=11498037

 

Brazilian football legend Pele 'has been moved to palliative care' in hospital and is no longer responding to chemotherapy in his fight against bowel cancer.

 

Reports in Brazil said the 82-year-old, who went into hospital last week, is receiving measures to relieve pain in a palliative care ward.

 

He was admitted into the Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo, Brazil on Tuesday suffering from 'general swelling' and 'heart failure'.

 

An update on Thursday said the three-time World Cup winner was in a 'stable' condition in the hospital with his daughter Kely insisting there was 'no cause for alarm'.

 

However, a report by Folha de Sao Paulo on Saturday, said Pele isn't responding any longer to the chemotherapy treatment he has been undergoing since last September to treat his bowel cancer.

 

They said he is now in palliative care and won't be subjected to invasive tests or treatment. Palliative care is for patients with potentially life-threatening diseases or conditions.

 

More to follow.

  • Sad 4
  • Huggy Bear 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The best there ever was, and likely will be.

 

I am happy he made it as long as he has.

I have been worried, since Pele did not show up for the open ceremony of the Brazil Olympics.

He was slated to be the last torch carrier, but could not attend due to health concerns.

  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Gurn said:

The best there ever was, and likely will be.

 

I am happy he made it as long as he has.

I have been worried, since Pele did not show up for the open ceremony of the Brazil Olympics.

He was slated to be the last torch carrier, but could not attend due to health concerns.

He made the number 10 legendary. 

 

Maradona, Messi and numerous others followed in those footsteps. 

 

The first, the original and the greatest. 

Pele

  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

RIP to the great Footie.  

 

This man was the end all be all and he holds records that can't be broken.  Astonishingly he also missed out on being counted in records in leagues/ways that would put him as #1 and #2 across more based on the leagues he played in.  while people want to tear him down based on his world cup play and statements about it, the fact of the matter is he is possibly the best ever to play in the same manner Howe was for his day and age and holds records that won't ever be touched

  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

RIP to the great Footie.  

 

This man was the end all be all and he holds records that can't be broken.  Astonishingly he also missed out on being counted in records in leagues/ways that would put him as #1 and #2 across more based on the leagues he played in.  while people want to tear him down based on his world cup play and statements about it, the fact of the matter is he is possibly the best ever to play in the same manner Howe was for his day and age and holds records that won't ever be touched

He helped launch professional soccer in the US/Canada.   Too bad the league was a mess.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

He helped launch professional soccer in the US/Canada.   Too bad the league was a mess.

There was, if I remember some fishiness regarding his records that FIFA tried to suggest didn't exist.  Like the goals scored; how since he didn't play in a major euro league it's all moot etc etc etc

 

I truly don't follow soccer as much as most do but I do remember their being major questions created about the validity of his records even though they were effectively unassailable in regards to credibility

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember one of the local sports reporters got to do an interview with Pele.

He brought a ball to the interview and got to play pass with Pele- career highlight. Pro writer went complete fan boy :)

 

Goodbye to the best there was, and likely ever will be.

 

 

 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

World Cup victories:

 

Pele - 3

Maradona - 1

Messi - 1

 

Messi finally won a World Cup after 18 years of playing football, which tells you how hard it is to win a World Cup.  Alot of great footballers haven't even won 1 World Cup.

 

This stat alone tells me that Pele is the GOAT.  RIP King...   :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...