The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets | Dec. 29, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Here's the good news.

Delia is continuing his great play... he looks like a bonafide NHL backup... or even a starter for a team whose goaltending is suspect.

Which means that if Demko comes back and starts to play like he can, then the Canucks have nice trade bait with Delia or Martin... either would work well behind Demko.

Well, injuries happen, so you need 3 goalies to make it to the playoffs and succeed in them.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Thats why we need to make a hockey trade with another suspect team. 

Miller to Nashville for Johansen.

8x3 ( including this year ) is easier to eat than 8x7 starting next year lol. Plus we still get a hometown vet to play behind EP. Move horvat for the future young C and D and walaa 

Miller and Garland for Johansen?

5 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Considering SJ is number 1... it's extremely mind boggling lmao

Right? Like what the hell. What is wrong with this PK? 

Last year at one point, both the PP and the PK were bottom of the league and we fixed the PP. 

How do we fix the PK? 

I was going to say that maybe our guys are too accustomed to playing a passive box and just clogging up shooting lanes that they are not used to pressuring but we have new personnel that came from other teams that employ different strategies yet they all look terrible when they get here. 

One thing I did notice is that our pk unit is not in sync. Sometimes the high guy covering the point will pressure and force the D / Pointman to rush and move the puck but then there is no secondary pressure because our other 3 guys are still in their passive box. As a result, once the pass is made, the opposing PP pretty much gets a reset from the half wall with all the time on their hands while our original forward at the high point is now tired from pressuring the original puck carrier. 

I feel like the pk unit needs to get on the same page so when one guy pressures, the entire unit pressures forcing a turnover. If they can't force the turnover, then go back into a passive box and reset / regain their breath until they pressure as a unit again. 

I believe this is 100 percent on coaching. 

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

What is wrong with this PK? 

This year they're using a Top 6 player or two on the PK, in hopes of cashing in on a short-handed goal. I believe a lot of teams are doing this, but to be successful at it, the D and goaltending has to be solid. Canucks might be better off using their bottom 6 guys (best defensive players) to kill penalties. Keep it simple.

Edited by NUCKER67

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

This year they're using a Top 6 player or two on the PK, in hopes of chasing in on a short-handed goal. I believe a lot of teams are doing this, but to be successful at it, the D and goaltending has to be solid. Canucks might be better off using their bottom 6 guys (best defensive players) to kill penalties. Keep it simple.

I don't know if they are doing for sh goals. They are using Petey because he is legit one of our best 2 way forwards and has great anticipation of where the puck is going. 

Is there a breakdown of which players allow the most pk goals / minute played? 

Would love to see that stat

20 pages about Miller.

The team laid an egg and the Bettman Club Xmas gifted Peg fans with one sided calls. Nothing to see here, just the same old Nucks who fold when the other team is in your face. That's the Jet's MO. Very fast and aggressive. Still not too late to unload vets for prospects and picks...

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Arizona wants to make themselves a prime candidate when Matthews hits Free Agency. :lol:

Swept in the calendar year 4-0 lmfao! Look at the top 10 in the east. If they cannot mentally overcome beating AZ... They won't win a round yet again this year.

Tbh Metro is taking both wildcard spots.. So if the Panthers can just have a good month and close the gap they could bounce TO from the playoffs to begin with lol:lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

They can take all the cap they want imo :lol:

Well we can't take $8 million right now. Miller and Garland are a little more than $10 million, and the Preds have $2.6 in cap space.

I don't think Nashville is willing to hold onto to $2.5 million in cap for Johansen.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, EddieVedder said:

Ok, tank for bedard. 

Next season...

Mikheyev-Horvat-Bedard

Podkolzin-Petterrson-Kuzemenko

Aman-Hoglander

+ the pieces we get for miller,boeser, garland, myers, rathbone

You moan about soo many players yet have horvat as your 1c haha! 

Just now, Mustard Tiger said:

Swept in the calendar year 4-0 lmfao! Look at the top 10 in the east. If they cannot mentally overcome beating AZ... They won't win a round yet again this year.

Tbh Metro is taking both wildcard spots.. So if the Panthers can just have a good month and close the gap they could bounce TO from the playoffs to begin with lol:lol:

And nothing would make me happier....

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Well we can't take $8 million right now. Miller and Garland are a little more than $10 million, and the Preds have $2.6 in cap space.

I don't think Nashville is willing to hold onto to $2.5 million in cap for Johansen.

Ooohh I see. Well I figured horvat being moved would give that cap difference for this year in the Nashville trade. I'd love to get jeannot as well in some way

7 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

If he hates losing so much maybe he shouldn't be playing like such a liability defensively. I think he should have been traded because of his work ethic defensively, his tendency to make high risk plays, his lack of ability to play C at a top 6 level, his age not fitting with the rest of the core, and his general perceived attitude. Him 'hating losing" has absolutely nothing to do with why I desperately hope this management swallows their pride and fixes their mistake before his NTC kicks in.

We've been mediocre and worse for 10 years now. We obtained Miller for what some thought was a big price. Miller immediately fit in and started producing while playing key roles. Good trade. Then as he played through his contract he progressed and became worth more than his purchase price. Awesome, great trade! At that point you should thank Miller very much, take the return which is more than you paid 4 years ago, take the cap space and progress as a team. Like any smart organization does.

What do we do, handcuff ourselves forever with a retirement contract for a non playoff team with major issues all over the line-up. On a guy who seems not to care about his teammates, doesn't play the game the right way, all while leaving our 2 year younger, 50 goal scoring, elite face-off Captain hung out to dry and now forced to move on.

A complete softball for the GM and co ... a call a 5 year old could make ... and they absolutely blew it ... along with our chances for a longtime. No wonder fans, including myself are upset and disgusted with the current state of the team. If you care about the team I don't know how you can't be.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Miller's antics.   Don't mind anyone who hates to lose.   And he's only able to do so much himself.   Get that those guys might need to be reigned in too.   

Hate to loose... If it only was that I saw.

I've seen a lot of players hating to loose smashing everything around them.

That isn't the same as taking out their anger at team mates or think that they are better players than the other. 

If they want to act that way they actually have to be better in all areas than the other.

Is he that good or should he get down and get to work instead?

Edited by Timråfan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2