The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Miller Interview on Delia Incident

Rate this topic

JamesB

Just now, -AJ- said:

I definitely understand some of the good ramifications of what happened from Messier's time in Vancouver, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he was beyond arrogant and had no issue with Iron Mike's tyranny in the locker room. Obviously, as you stated, things ended up working out well, but it was definitely making lemonade out of lemons, which doesn't remove the issue that the lemons still existed.

Agree, but I think if you weigh the impact of him being here or not, I'll take those sour lemons any time if it means seeing hockey like we saw as a result..

1 hour ago, Tanti9 said:

Messier caused Linden to be traded. Linden got us Bert and Mccabe. And trading Linden at that time was probably one of the best things the Canucks ever did. He was at his peak, and was never the same player after. Something the Canucks seldom do... move a player at their peak for young talent.

The McCabe trade led to us getting the twins

I get the hate on Messier, but his impact on the franchise was not as bad as many scream about. Both Naslund and Bert also credit him for teaching them how hard they had to compete.

If Messier was never here, the West Coast Express would have never been here, the twins either, and Nazzy would never have been the same player. Alot to be thankful for.

Messier was Keenans' mess and it was similar to Gillis' signing of Sundin.  But good points, on the events afterwards...

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 hour ago, Tanti9 said:

Messier caused Linden to be traded. Linden got us Bert and Mccabe. And trading Linden at that time was probably one of the best things the Canucks ever did. He was at his peak, and was never the same player after. Something the Canucks seldom do... move a player at their peak for young talent.

The McCabe trade led to us getting the twins

I get the hate on Messier, but his impact on the franchise was not as bad as many scream about. Both Naslund and Bert also credit him for teaching them how hard they had to compete.

If Messier was never here, the West Coast Express would have never been here, the twins either, and Nazzy would never have been the same player. Alot to be thankful for.

I think there’s a misconception that Messier was the reason Linden got traded/ran him out of town. When really it was Keenan who orchestrated Linden’s demise in Vancouver. Keenan was the guy who asked Linden to give the captaincy to Messier and Linden agreed to. Messier revealed later on in a Reddit AMA, that the only regret in his hockey career was accepting the captaincy from Linden. 

I think most of the Messier hate was because he came from the Rangers, a rival at the time and he was being paid a lot, who did very little. He was the 2nd highest paid player in the entire league at the time, and did absolutely nothing but coast during his time here. 

Edited by shiznak
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I think there’s a misconception that Messier was the reason Linden got traded/ran him out of town. When really it was Keenan who orchestrated Linden’s demise in Vancouver. Keenan was the guy who asked Linden to give the captaincy to Messier and Linden agreed to. Messier revealed later on in a Reddit AMA, that the only regret in his hockey career was accepting the captaincy from Linden. 

I think most of the Messier hate was because he came from the Rangers, a rival at the time and he was being paid a lot, who did very little. He was the 2nd highest paid player in the entire league at the time, and did absolutely nothing but coast during his time here. 

Fair point on Keenan 

Edited by Tanti9
  • Cheers 1

Just now, -DLC- said:

You give him FAR too much credit. He was a lazy floater cashing in a pay cheque here....nothing more.

And his dirty crosscheck on Linden will forever mark him as a dirty POS here. I gave up on my team for the short time he was here.

Oh I’m not defending him, just saying there was some major silver linings that came out of it 

Yup he just floated here, but him being here lead to alot of good for the Canucks in the end 

3 minutes ago, Tanti9 said:

Oh I’m not defending him, just saying there was some major silver linings that came out of it 

Yup he just floated here, but him being here lead to alot of good for the Canucks in the end 

Nope...not attributing any of it to him. We sucked and he was a big part of why.

• Huggy Bear 1