The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Alexis Lafrenière

1 hour ago, Provost said:

He probably will… the NHL is great at recycling coaches, they need a few chances at failing before they are given up on.

It is funny that the team proved it wasn’t the coaching after the initial Boudreau bump, and started flailing badly again.

Tocchet has a similar philosophy and coaching style as Green.  He even says so publicly and that he sees the game the same way and talks to Green regularly about coaching and hockey stuff.

There's a lot of coaches that didn't get work afterwards. I think Green is one of them. 

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

There's a lot of coaches that didn't get work afterwards. I think Green is one of them. 

Both Willie D and Green were sub par coaches. But it’s hard to win with Benning doing Benning things. 

8 minutes ago, bh90 said:

There was sarcasm in my comment

But in all seriousness I think Green should get a chance somewhere as an associate/assistant coach in the NHL

He had many flaws and I don't think he is ready for another HC job yet, but at least the Canucks were structured under Green. Considering the lack of talent Benning assembled for him, they managed to be in games. 

Not sure what Green coached team you were watching but those teams absolutely did not have structure lol. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Both Willie D and Green were sub par coaches. But it’s hard to win with Benning doing Benning things. 

I actually liked JB at first. But Tchuk was a big giant brain fart. A possible Conn Smith guy.. 

10 minutes ago, Pears said:

Not sure what Green coached team you were watching but those teams absolutely did not have structure lol. 

I don't find that there was no structure under Green but it was not the right one for the players available either and he failed to adjust. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I don't find that there was no structure under Green but it was not the right one for the players available either and he failed to adjust. 

And I completely disagree with the statement of his coaching keeping us in games. Anyone who watched would know it was Markstrom more often than not keeping us in games we had no business being in. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Weren't we talking about Willie D getting another gig in LA?  That's Travis Green's coaching record...

Oh that guy, same deal,:

On November 4, 2018, Desjardins was named interim head coach by the Los Angeles Kings after they fired John Stevens.[12][13] Desjardins' presence did not lead to the team improving as the Kings went 27–34–8 and finished in last place in the Western Conference. One day after the season ended, the Kings announced that they would not bring Desjardins back for the 2019–20 season.

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Oh that guy, same deal,:

On November 4, 2018, Desjardins was named interim head coach by the Los Angeles Kings after they fired John Stevens.[12][13] Desjardins' presence did not lead to the team improving as the Kings went 27–34–8 and finished in last place in the Western Conference. One day after the season ended, the Kings announced that they would not bring Desjardins back for the 2019–20 season.

yeah, he didn't last long.  Probably same thing will happen to Green...

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Provost said:

He probably will… the NHL is great at recycling coaches, they need a few chances at failing before they are given up on.

It is funny that the team proved it wasn’t the coaching after the initial Boudreau bump, and started flailing badly again.

Tocchet has a similar philosophy and coaching style as Green.  He even says so publicly and that he sees the game the same way and talks to Green regularly about coaching and hockey stuff.

It was hilarious to see all the misplaced criticisms and blame thrown his way. A lot of posters showed where their knowledge of the game stops.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Willie D got another gig.  Don't think Green is any worse than him...

He is worse than Willie D. The amount of talent that Willie D had pales considerably compared to the teams that Green had. Remember, Willie D did not have a Pettersson or a Boeser type of player. It should be noted that he had more wins than Green did, percentage wise. That is NOT good.

Moreover, Willie D has had more success at the lower levels. Green? Yeah, it was Benning's fault for keeping him way too long.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

I don't think so. I agree that he talks to Green about coaching and hockey stuff, but we were at least competitive in those games with Tocchet. With Green, we had so many bench minors (too many men) and a lack of genuine accountability. Tocchet has shown in his small sample that he holds every player accountable. Green gave free passes to certain people.

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Green will never coach a NHL team ever again. 

Dallas Eakins is a far worse coach, and he got a second chance.  Eakins was actually valuable to Edmonton and the Ducks.  Because he was so bad, he helped Edmonton be in a position to draft McDavid and gave the Ducks a shot at Bedard, but they will have to settle for Fantilli.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, BobbyClarke said:

Dallas Eakins is a far worse coach, and he got a second chance.  Eakins was actually valuable to Edmonton and the Ducks.  Because he was so bad, he helped Edmonton be in a position to draft McDavid and gave the Ducks a shot at Bedard, but they will have to settle for Fantilli.

Yeah, that's good management, to let the team tank enough for the next draft. 

PA missed this memo. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

I don't think so. I agree that he talks to Green about coaching and hockey stuff, but we were at least competitive in those games with Tocchet. With Green, we had so many bench minors (too many men) and a lack of genuine accountability. Tocchet has shown in his small sample that he holds every player accountable. Green gave free passes to certain people.

I agree with this and it's way I don't think Green is cut out for HC. And I don't think he has it in him to be a development coach

But, I still think Green was a good X and O coach. The canucks did have structure under him, the players he was given just did not match what he was trying to do. 

For the right time and plays a style of game he coaches, I think he will make a valuable bench coach.

2 hours ago, BobbyClarke said:

In fairness the teams Eakins coached were absolute trash. I don’t think it is fair to lay all the blame on him. 

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 2