The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edit- Rick Tocchet Expected To Be Next Head Coach

Rate this topic

BertaNuck

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

If Gonchar is joining Tocchet I'm all in on this, Bruce is clearly not the long term guy so just pull the plug already.

Gonchar is coming as well from what it looks like.

Edited by J-23
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Jaimito said:

He's a tough MF.  At least he won't let other teams step over them. 

I love that, and I hope JR also goes out and gets some players with some grit who can play. Maybe Tocchet will get more out of Joshua and Lazar. 

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

If Gonchar is joining Tocchet I'm all in on this, Bruce is clearly not the long term guy so just pull the plug already.

Why do you think Gonchar would be good?

Not disagreeing just curious. I know he was an assistant in one of their cup wins. Anything else?

Watch the owner decide it would look too bad to hire Tocchet now that it has become an embarrassing national story… and we end up

with Babcock instead.

Of course it would come out later that they bailed on Tocchet after offering him the job… and that would look even worse than hiring him under these classless circumstances.

It is the worst kept secret, we already have been told Tocchet is even filling out his assistant staff with Gonchar and Housely.

I wonder if the Canucks are leaking all this in hopes Boudreau quits and they save his salary. If it was accidentally leaked you would think they immediately pull the trigger on the firing and use one of the assistants who has head coaching experience as interim for a couple weeks.  Even if they intend on firing all the assistants, that would play fine as the “new” head coach gets to decide on his assistants once he is hired.

It actually takes work to bungle a normal coaching change this badly.

Edited by Provost

If we need “ major surgery “ would a top 5 pick not be the new heart transplant they need, we are trending towards that but with a coaching change we could get a bump and pick 10-20 

and with a franchise type player in bedard why not put us in the best postion possible in the lottery 

This management group is mind boggling 

side note where and what does Allvin do around here 

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Watch the owner decide it would look too bad to hire Tocchet now that it has become an embarrassing national story… and we end up

with Babcock instead.

Of course it would come out later that they bailed on Tocchet after offering him the job… and that would look even worse than hiring him under these classless circumstances.

It is the worst kept secret, we already have been told he is filling out his assistant staff with Gonchar and Housely.

Maybe our owner signed Tocchet during his trip to Vegas (to meet with Tocchet) several weeks back?  Tocchet had to give notice of a few weeks at his current job.  

Just now, BertaNuck said:

If we need “ major surgery “ would a top 5 pick not be the new heart transplant they need, we are trending towards that but with a coaching change we could get a bump and pick 10-20 

and with a franchise type player in bedard why not put us in the best postion possible in the lottery 

This management group is mind boggling 

side note where and what does Allvin do around here 

Management is operating within the limited direction of the owner.  No rebuilding moves.  

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Why do you think Gonchar would be good?

Not disagreeing just curious. I know he was an assistant in one of their cup wins. Anything else?

Look at the defence the Penguins have stayed consistent with, Letang, Pettersson and not much else and putting well above 500 records.

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Look at the defence the Penguins have stayed consistent with, Letang, Pettersson and not much else and putting well above 500 records.

But they did that without Gonchar too.

That comes down to just good scouting for me.

Is there anything like a top penalty kill or anything else that he’s credited with?

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Is there anything like a top penalty kill or anything else that he’s credited with?

Top 10 PK in the league his second year, 18th his first and 27th his last but they were decimated with injuries and lost in the play in so 10-18th with a mediocre defense and Letang and Pettersson to work with.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

11th in the league in GA during the 3 years in Pittsburgh total despite how decimated the team was his final year there.

18 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Nope it’s not going to stay this bad… something has to change

well coaching has been change multipled times now, this will be the 4th coach since horvat has been here and nothing has changed. How about change the mediocre defense that has been here since Gillis was the GM. I think the only time we had a good defense was when we still had AV, Luongo, Salo, Edler, Mitchell, Ehrhoff, Tanev etc. Now we have players in the top 4 that wouldn't have made the Canucks farm team back in the day.

• Cheers 1

The Flyers were a big, mean bunch back in the day. The Broad Street Bullies. Surprised me to learn that Tocchet holds the all-time record in Gordie Howe Hat Tricks for the Flyers and the NHL (18). The guy used to produce and kick butt on a regular basis, and I'm really hoping he can instill more of that in the team. They don't necessarily have to fight, but they can be aggressive and physical, relentless.  He's also won Cups, as a player and coach. He knows what it takes.

I hate to see Bruce go, but I'm happy that he can get off this disaster of a rollercoaster and enjoy his family, maybe find another coaching job. He was put in an unfair spot when he was hired, and he's been positive and kind the whole way. I wish him the best.