The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My Report Card on Management

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

31 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Huh??  Why are you getting upset over a player earning $1M a year?  A base level salary is $750,000.  Lazar is an excellent defensive centre that adds stability to that fourth line.  He knows what his job is and he does it very well.  He is on one of the most price-effective contracts this team has - a real rarity for us.  That signing deserves a solid A-grade.

I increasingly view the Stillman acquisition as a side piece to the trade.  We didn't pay for Stillman - we paid to get rid of Dickinson.  Still a mistake as he started to regain form at the end of last season and has done good for Chicago.

But we got Carolina to retain salary and throw in Pederson in the Bear trade and only gave up a 5th (Pederson alone was traded for a 4th not long before)

I am guessing that trade was in the works and we had to move out Dick to make is happen. A 2nd & 5th for Bear (salary retained), Stillman, and Pederson is a good trade 

20 hours ago, jyu said:

I agree they sucked thus far and have been very unimpressive.

Actually, I haven't read your post but most fans are angry and people making angry posts usually give bad grade. 

I give them C- for making incorrect initial assessment.

I give them A for realizing they were wrong in assessing the initial state of the team and getting on board with tanking.

What evidence have you seen of this? 

37 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

What evidence have you seen of this? 

1. JR Press conference. At least using the word retool and needing a major surgery. 

2. Not getting a starting goalie. If they were delusional enough to believe that they can make the playoffs, they would have gotten a goalie by now. 

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

But we got Carolina to retain salary and throw in Pederson in the Bear trade and only gave up a 5th (Pederson alone was traded for a 4th not long before)

I am guessing that trade was in the works and we had to move out Dick to make is happen. A 2nd & 5th for Bear (salary retained), Stillman, and Pederson is a good trade 

paying for Stiller and PD is not better than paying for Vey

that is paying for Waiver fodder

2+5 for Bear is a bit steep

Bear hasn't proven to be more than a 5-6 guy

so a 2nd is too rich

1 minute ago, jyu said:

1. JR Press conference. At least using the word retool and needing a major surgery. 

2. Not getting a starting goalie. If they were delusional enough to believe that they can make the playoffs, they would have gotten a goalie by now. 

major surgery; with a caveat that that "Major Surgery" does not include the core

so,

more of a nip and tuck 

or a major surgery on minor players

Just now, lmm said:

major surgery; with a caveat that that "Major Surgery" does not include the core

so,

more of a nip and tuck 

or a major surgery on minor players

I thought he said they may need to ship out core players. 

13 minutes ago, jyu said:

I'm not so confident. Talk is cheap. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, lmm said:

quote: the changes we need  to make are not with our core players, but with other players

Yes. Not disagreeing with what was said. But he also acknowledged that we may need to ship out core players to improve the team.

quote: all of the core players aren't going to be here.

He acknowledged that Horvat is out of their price range now (the Horvat is chasing his money comment). That to me was a soft way of admitting they botched Miller vs Horvat decision and accepting the fact that Horvat will be traded.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, jyu said:

Yes. Not disagreeing with what was said. But he also acknowledged that we may need to ship out core players to improve the team.

quote: all of the core players aren't going to be here.

He acknowledged that Horvat is out of their price range now (the Horvat is chasing his money comment). That to me was a soft way of admitting they botched Miller vs Horvat decision and accepting the fact that Horvat will be traded.

its one of those statements that pleases everybody

but means nothing to anyone

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, lmm said:

its one of those statements that pleases everybody

but means nothing to anyone

True. But I liked it a whole lot more than, "we are trying to make the playoffs" or "we are going to re-sign Bo Horvat at all costs."

But then again, JR re-signed Miller when it sounded like he wanted to move him.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

I completely disagree with this “F” grade the OP gave. 

This is the most senior and diverse group with the most combined experience this franchise has ever had. JR, the leader of this group, has won several Cups and as recent as just 5 years ago. 

Many of the posters and media here have no clue what goes on behind the scenes. I’m sure they have everything mapped out with contingencies for every different outcome.

JR is an expert. Just as a a doctor is in health and a mechanic is with cars. 

Let’s stop with this arm chair quarter backing and give them more time before laying judgement. 

This is no time for grades.

Edited by grandmaster
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

Goalie:  Management relied on Demko due to he was strong in last season, but under performed this season. They acquired Delia who is not bad, but two back-up goalies does make sense.  Score: C

Defensemen:  Other than Bear, Management does nothing to help the defensive. Addition of Stillman is a big mistake.  Score: F

Forwarders:  The major problem is re-signing of Miller at 8x8. I understood Miller got 99 points last season, paying him 8 m might be a right decision but 8 years is a major mistake. Also, not signing Bo at that time is an issue.  Management team did good job in Kuz, Mik, Lazar, Aman, Joshua, Pederson. I personally disagree they did about Broser, Garland     Score:  C+

Coaches:  Two assistant coaches out with no right replacement,.  Score: F

Cap Management:  No space for signing free agents and could not get rid of High cap players. (Myers, OEL, Garland, )       Score:  F

Total score: F,   might be improved if they do good trades/movements before TDL.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

This is the most senior and diverse group with the most combined experience this franchise has ever had. JR, the leader of this group, has won several Cups and as recent has just 5 years ago. 

Many of the posters and media here have no clue what goes on behind the scenes. I’m sure they have everything mapped out with contingencies for every different outcome.

Let’s stop with this arm chair quarter backing and give them more time before laying judgement. 

A common sense post, thanks! Yeah one year of being a GM is hardly a time to grade him…especially right now in this post Covid climate of every team capped out and trades are next to impossible to come by. I was on the Benning bandwagon a good five years before the wheels fell off and I became disillusioned of the goal… so many were avid supporters right up until he was canned and I just don’t get it. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

Goalie:  Management relied on Demko due to he was strong in last season, but under performed this season. They acquired Delia who is not bad, but two back-up goalies does make sense.  Score: C

Defensemen:  Other than Bear, Management does nothing to help the defensive. Addition of Stillman is a big mistake.  Score: F

Forwarders:  The major problem is re-signing of Miller at 8x8. I understood Miller got 99 points last season, paying him 8 m might be a right decision but 8 years is a major mistake. Also, not signing Bo at that time is an issue.  Management team did good job in Kuz, Mik, Lazar, Aman, Joshua, Pederson. I personally disagree they did about Broser, Garland     Score:  C+

Coaches:  Two assistant coaches out with no right replacement,.  Score: F

Cap Management:  No space for signing free agents and could not get rid of High cap players. (Myers, OEL, Garland, )       Score:  F

Total score: F,   might be improved if they do good trades/movements before TDL.

Any year without playoffs is a major failure… after all the years of Benning being a failure it is just another year for me!

They get an 'F' from me for 3 basic reasons:

1/ Signing Miller to the contract they did...trading him while his stock had peaked was critical.

2/ Signing Boeser when there was interest in a trade.

3/ Not trading up to grab one of the future Top 4 RHD that there was an ABUNDANCE of in the last summer's draft (I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jiricek would look good in a Nux Uni). I'm not sure how many times this has to be stated: You need a solid top-end RHD in order to be a contender...and we missed on 4-5 of them.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

They get an 'F' from me for 3 basic reasons:

1/ Signing Miller to the contract they did...trading him while his stock had peaked was critical.

2/ Signing Boeser when there was interest in a trade.

3/ Not trading up to grab one of the future Top 4 RHD that there was an ABUNDANCE of in the last summer's draft (I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jiricek would look good in a Nux Uni). I'm not sure how many times this has to be stated: You need a solid top-end RHD in order to be a contender...and we missed on 4-5 of them.

Who was willing to trade to move up in the draft? It seems easy on paper!

23 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

A common sense post, thanks! Yeah one year of being a GM is hardly a time to grade him…especially right now in this post Covid climate of every team capped out and trades are next to impossible to come by. I was on the Benning bandwagon a good five years before the wheels fell off and I became disillusioned of the goal… so many were avid supporters right up until he was canned and I just don’t get it. 

you8 were on Benning's band wagon for 5 years

I don't get it

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

This is the most senior and diverse group with the most combined experience this franchise has ever had. JR, the leader of this group, has won several Cups and as recent as just 5 years ago. 

I'll give jim credit for winning a cup in Carolina

but he walked into Crosby, Malkin Letang and Fleury,

won 2 cups but never after he sent Fleury to Vegas

I'd take Quinn, Burkie and MacPhee over this diverse lot

• Cheers 1