The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Lets give this new coaching staff a positive welcome.  Bruce is gone so we all have to move on.  I for one think it is going to be rather exciting have Adam Foote and Gonchar as assistant coaches, we have to hold these players accountable and everyone needs to buy in to a system.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Okay, another question. If Boudreau was the wrong coach for them, why did they resign him at the end of the season? If this was the actual issue, why not change the coach when they had every opportunity over the summer? I get that we had a good run last season, but the decision was still in management's hands at the time and the whole reason why Bruce is here this season is NOT because of ownership's hiring but because of management's resigning.

As far as management micromanaging, please don't get me wrong: I don't like ownership at the moment and I've mentioned that I think they're part of the reason why we're in this mess in the first place. However, I also kind of think your scenario's unlikely given the risk of tensions as I have mentioned. Like I said, if what you're saying is true, we're in for a bad time moving forward. I don't think your scenario gets you the results you think it will. Remember, this is the same ownership that made Linden walk away afterall.

1. I think they probably thought it was impossible to let go/fire/ not re-sign a coach who pulled off what BB pulled off last season. The blowback would’ve been as intense as it is now. They had to wait until the owners plan had completely failed. 

2. Agree to disagree 

Just now, Baratheon said:

That's true.  Honestly I'm glad they gave Bruce a shot at another year.  I'm like everyone else though.  Not thrilled about how it ended.

I'm not happy either. I'm trying to figure things out like everyone else. That's why I ask questions. I know theories are easy to come up with and it's sometimes important to go down these rabbit holes to see if there's merit or not.

I just don't think that, if there's merit to management trying to "teach ownership a lesson" or management "not being able to build around the right coach", it's kind of unlikely since they clearly had the ability to fix that last summer without even needing to go through all this. The fact that they brought him back tells me management had enough faith in him to not just go their own way.

Now, if you told me ownership insisted on bringing Boudreau back... that might have more merit unfortunately.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Ronning4center said:

As if to illustrate my point.  The globe and mail likening one of the worst toxic disasters with loss of human life to the firing of a coach.  That is shameful, and so disrespectful that I'm sick to my stomach...our local media ladies and gentleman.  Hundreds of deaths is equal to a sports coaching change.

Screenshot_20230122_161443_Chrome.jpg

Maybe I know quite a few people who are in the writing profession, but they love to use phrases and metaphors to convey their points. I don't really have a problem with it. Chernobyl was what... like 40 years ago? People reference the Titanic or the JFK assassination (grassy knoll) as a metaphor all the time? I am curious what you believe is the statue of limitations for this kind of stuff. 

14 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Keep bringing the positivity my friend, you’ve got that 1K post milestone coming up 

Thanks a lot man!! I appreciate that! I get a little too frustrated / upset sometime and call stuff out, but I try to bring positivity and at least something somewhat decent  to the table…a least sometimes. Lol! 

Edited by IRR
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

11 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Okay, another question. If Boudreau was the wrong coach for them, why did they resign him at the end of the season? If this was the actual issue, why not change the coach when they had every opportunity over the summer? I get that we had a good run last season, but the decision was still in management's hands at the time and the whole reason why Bruce is here this season is NOT because of ownership's hiring but because of management's resigning.

As far as management micromanaging, please don't get me wrong: I don't like ownership at the moment and I've mentioned that I think they're part of the reason why we're in this mess in the first place. However, I also kind of think your scenario's unlikely given the risk of tensions as I have mentioned. Like I said, if what you're saying is true, we're in for a bad time moving forward. I don't think your scenario gets you the results you think it will. Remember, this is the same ownership that made Linden walk away afterall.

I’m pretty sure it was Bruce’s choice to pick up the option to come back for th3 second year.  JR even mentioned, more than once, he thought that was the team’s option.  Aquilini negotiated the contract with Boudreau.  And he gave Boudreau the option for the second year.  

• There it is 2

1 minute ago, tkanuk said:

1. I think they probably thought it was impossible to let go/fire/ not re-sign a coach who pulled off what BB pulled off last season. The blowback would’ve been as intense as it is now. They had to wait until the owners plan had completely failed. 

2. Agree to disagree 

This is fine, but I'm definately going to agree to disagree on "management teaching ownership a lesson" like out of some movie or something. I just don't think that's how that sort of thing works, at least not without consequences to management itself.

I also don't know if the blowback would have been crazier than it normally is. This is CDC where everything gets blowback afterall. lol

• Cheers 1

Something curious from the presser....why was Tocchet going on about creating a 'safe' environment for the players and Allvin followed up saying its important for the players to feel safe coming to the rink every day (I think it was him that said that)?  Is there something I missed or were they referring to some ongoing issue we don't know about?  Why wouldn't players already feel safe?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, guntrix said:

I was pretty sure I had seen this somewhere..

311F25C1-10C3-4D48-816C-287BF2ECB599.jpeg.0221dd3184d791bcdc312dfe7abe7d66.jpeg

B820F0A5-CEB4-4F88-8054-D2F7C97EE491.jpeg.8f44fd379232949dc4b68cf5d71878f3.jpeg

Get them some Canuck blue face paint and some drums and we can have our own blue man group at the games

• Haha 3

Tocchet is a meathead but I believe that he is going to try his best.

JR has brought him in to end the country club and shake things up.  JR will then direct Allvin to make trades to reshape the team for the future.

It all may work or it all may blow up spectacularly.  Guess we will see...

50 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

So it was pre-planned to waste the first year? Jr and his team are not capable of completing an analysis of the players over the last year? 
I’m just can’t fathom this team being right back where it started one year ago.

Basically we're pooched until we can dump Myers next year as well as Pearson and hopefully Boeser/Garland. Only then can the true roster re-creation begin. This year was always going to be tough to move players due to the flat cap. So yeah it's kind of always been a whatever we'll take your money but no guarantees year. Next year will be similar unless they get some major moves done.

Just now, Alflives said:

I know I was hyper critical during the Boudreau Bump last season.  This season the guys are really struggling.  That’s when it’s easy to be critical, and hard to be positive.  But IMHAO during the bad times is when it shows character to find the positive. 

Well said @Alflives

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Something curious from the presser....why was Tocchet going on about creating a 'safe' environment for the players and Allvin followed up saying its important for the players to feel safe coming to the rink every day (I think it was him that said that)?  Is there something I missed or were they referring to some ongoing issue we don't know about?  Why wouldn't players already feel safe?

Deb’s obviously been trying to sneak inside the dressing room again 

• Haha 4