The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, GB5 said:

I read into it differently.

To me it came across as more of a backhanded comment to the media and fans who clearly can see he is not being honest with them. 

I think you're both right.  JR is grouchy about things getting out in our market and therefore the backhanded tone to his comments.  He is probably also learning that we pay attention to his words a little more than they did in Pittsburgh and Carolina.  I'm sure that he does indeed intend to say less going forward. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I think you're both right.  JR is grouchy about things getting out in our market and therefore the backhanded tone to his comments.  He is probably also learning that we pay attention to his words a little more than they did in Pittsburgh and Carolina.  I'm sure that he does indeed intend to say less going forward. 

Goal Target GIF by Drawify

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Baratheon said:

He said enough

He said Allvin is in charge of the team. That kind of means trades as well.

That would fit because the actions have been opposite what Rutherford has said.

Funny that Hogs and Pods in the minors is considered bad by Allvin. I thought the general consensus was time in the minors was a good thing and his statements kind of reinforced that idea until he stated the opposite about Hogs and Pod.

So much double talk.

And of course ignoring the fan base totally, telling the fans what fans want.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Fair. The way he said his honesty “upsets some people” came across that way a bit to me.

Speaking of honesty with the media, I liked how PA responded about Bo’s agent having permission to talk to other teams. “I believe that’s between me and his agent to discuss.”  That kind of answer is sets a boundary, but you can also read between the lines. Seems that PA took better notes in the PR prep session than JR did.

PA is legendary at eloquently saying absolutely nothing!  I don't even mean that as an insult lol.  The guy takes politicians to school in this regard.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

Didn't Torts have the same hard as* approach as Tocchet and that failed? We have had 3 Jack Adams award winners as coaches and still not won a cup. Having a competitive approach and more structure is great, but the roster needs rebuilding. Eternal retooling and drama is exhausting and embarrassing. Another coach change bump gets us from a top 7 pick to a top 12 or 15 pick, bfd. The mushy middle here seems eternal: not good enough to compete (get in the playoffs and anything can  happen crap) and not bad enough to bottom out and get top 3 pucks. Not buying any tickets soon.

Similar but Torts rides his top guys for big minutes.  Tocchet stressed that our top guys minutes have to come way down from where Bruce played them.  So go hard and play fast for the minutes the player is out there.  No coasting to conserve energy.  I can see Garland’s and OEL’s minutes going up.  Got to tak3 some of those minutes off Miller and Hughes.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ilunga said:

This forum isn't owned or run by management, it's a group of passionate fans, like yourself, from all over this planet, that like you, love hockey and the Canucks.

Management teams come and go however we will always be here. 

Just because management has no loyalty, we do. 

It's always darkest before the dawn, don't give up brother, it's the team and game we love, not a bunch of suits.

That's fair, I'm just at the point where it's time to start looking at picking a different team.  JR has disgraced the team so much I'm not sure it's possible to repair the damage once he and the rest of his clown crew are gone.

• Huggy Bear 3

Just now, Provost said:

Having now listened to the conference, I don't have a ton of faith still.

They keep talk about the issue with the fans being mad is that we haven't won a Cup in the city.  Yes we want to win, but the way we do business as an organization is more important in this market than most other places.  Only one team wins each year, but 31 teams lose each year and you have to do your business in a way that your fans can be proud of and want to wear your logo.

It was repeated that they think it was a coaching issue that the bottom half of the lineup wasn't performing well.  Do they really not know yet that it is a roster issue?  Suddenly Stillman is going to become a good defenceman?  Who exactly on the bottom six is pushing to get more minutes?  You want to play with structure and play the right way, but Hoglander and Podkolzin were mishandled?  They were bumped down a league so that they could spend time developing that side of their game... there isn't practice time in the NHL to teach them.

There were a couple of allusions to moving players out by the deadline, but nothing they have done shows me they can execute on that.

They never mentioned a cup, they said fans want a banner and wins and a competitive team. Just like Benning said except the Banner thing.

They did the thinking for the fans

7 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

To be fair, he's not helping his own cause when he's the one leaking some of the juiciest stuff in his own pressers for heavens sake!

34 minutes ago, Toews said:

Maybe I know quite a few people who are in the writing profession, but they love to use phrases and metaphors to convey their points. I don't really have a problem with it. Chernobyl was what... like 40 years ago? People reference the Titanic or the JFK assassination (grassy knoll) as a metaphor all the time? I am curious what you believe is the statue of limitations for this kind of stuff. 

Hmm I was just having a chat with my wife about this.  She said the same thing.   I'm not sure where the limit is...somewhere between  Holocaust and chernobyl I guess.  Maybe just get more creative with words and not using nasty metaphors?  I dunno maybe I'm just cheesed at the media.  Like a 6 year old punching his baby brother in the face and looking at mom all innocent "what? But he deserved it mom" or " what I didn't do anything".    Ya you did guys...you blew it up because you wanted clicks...this is on you too.

Edited by Ronning4center
  • Huggy Bear 1