The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Who's reporting this? Just seems made up. 

If true, I'll say Boeser. He knows Tocchet will put him to work.  

yeah it does seem made up, bruce never said any of that in his presser, but also for the boeser comment, why even add that?, there was obviously no media around for that moment when people talked to bruce.

• Cheers 1

Many of the video clips in today's practice was the coaches spending a lot of time with the groups and emphasis on the importance of practices (Foote with the D, Gonchar with Hughes, Tocchet with Petey).

More player development focused on Day 1. Remains to be seen if that continues.

8 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Why? Why do you care so much about a coach of a hockey team? What has he done personally to garnish this much love. I don't understand the admiration from people, he hasn't won a cup or a division he has only been here for 15 months. Fans are that bored and have nothing to do than to support a random dude's getting fired story?

Theres an old expression that applies to stupid questions:

If you have to ask you wouldn’t understand. 

I don’t owe you any explanations or answers . Nor do I have time for your childish suggestions that people that you don’t know are bored and have “nothing to do”. Put me on ignore as I have you and then piss off. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2
  • There it is 1

14 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

I agree, I like Bruce Boudrea, a lot actually.

This is nothing against him and I find the adoration amongst fans warranted, he's a great guy and coach.

But people are acting like he's dying at Rutherfords sword. The outcry from fans and media is almost pathetic.

Let's continue and hope management builds a winner.

Hockeys a sport, I’m a fan, Bruce is a player and coach, Fans send letters all the time . Get over it.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, gregthehockeynut said:

Podz and Hoglander playing big minutes and getting seasoned in the minors is the track to which we must commit. They were struggling with low minutes in the bottom six with the big club. Even Ryan Kessler had some time in the minors so more of that process will round out the roster in 2-4 years. This makes more sense than over paying for retreads in the twilight of their career which has not worked out at all, especially with D-men.

Yup.  There's a 3rd line being groomed in Abby... Hoagie - Aman - Karlsson.  It'll be like the Kings of a decade ago when Manchester groomed the Pearson-Carter-Tofolli trio that became their "70s line"

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

On 1/22/2023 at 10:56 AM, MaxVerstappen33 said:

The media better not make this a freaking self fulfilling prophecy. Back off ffs 

No kidding.

I’m not going to say that the Canucks organization handled this well, because they most certainly did not. But I can’t help but feel that it’s been completely overblown. The media has been whipping people into a frenzy over it.

I love Bruce the man, and what he did last year was truly special. But this year has been a tire fire, and really all the coaches (save for Clark) fully deserve to be canned. And I’ve watched dozens of coaches play out the string knowing they’re soon to be fired (or not extended), without 1% of the drama that has been drummed up over Boudreau. Maybe I’m alone in this, but I just don’t get it.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 1/22/2023 at 11:11 AM, -DLC- said:

He also replaced Manny (didn't he) and maybe faceoffs, etc. were his deal? I don't know...I doubt the Sedins have that much clout. I mean Linden didn't.

manny left cause leafs offered him a promotion job for more money and guessing closer to family ect but yeah i doubt sedins really have that much pull on saying about coaching staff ect, but i wouldnt be surprised if "King" gets replaced in the summer and for Yeo it was JR and PA who hired him first so probably why he's around for who knows what, everyone thought it was BB who did.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

I have been very against some of the moves these guys have made but yes this is the beginning of them actually making change that is all theirs. We'll see what happens in the next month and a half.

Yep, we'll see. Should be an interesting few months to next season. 

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Yep, we'll see. Should be an interesting few months to next season. 

Yeah, glad the drama is over. We have a new coaching staff, and the potential for a new team identity. Look forward to seeing how the players respond, how the systems work, who stays and who goes. Love that there’s no pressure to win. 30 games to spend in the garage to tinker, a likely active TDL, and off-season, and a top 10 pick in a deep draft. 

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup, I hope this is all about instilling playing the right way. If Miller lobs a pizza up the middle with no back check...bench his ass for a bit. If D aren't staying in position...bench. Forwards aren't supporting the puck. Bench.  I don't care if we're down a goal or lose the game because someone "talented" is sitting.

And yes, at this point, I doubt our draft position changes much. But still all the more reason to start moving out guys like Horvat, Kuz, Shenn if they aren't extending.

That's where I'm at. Not saying that this was handled well or that the roster isn't also an issue (IT IS).

Yes it sucks that a really nice guy got fired (which was not a surprise, since like last spring management has been telegraphing what they want from coaching) and that the media found out about his replacement a couple weeks earlier and helped make a circus out of it, before the team was ready to announce it.

People acting like this never happens... But it happens ALL the time. Coaches get fired, with mid season replacements already lined up, a lot. Bruce even had an anecdote about him doing just that to Carlyle in ANA in his Athletic interview! It just usually isn't media fed circus -fied for two weeks ahead to an already raw, high strung fanbase in the midst of a disappointing, crap season.

Very well said

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

FLATULENT Rutherford FIRES Nobel peace prize recipient BRUCE BOUDREAU and HIRES convicted felon RICK TOCCHET. 

HOWEVER Elliot Friedman reports that CRYSTAL CLEAR SOURCE says this is all part of a bigger plan to rip a big FARD FOR BEDARD 

Updates at 11:00. 

• Like 1