The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

sounds flustered

EDIT: before i finished the video, wtf he is going on about lol... god speed tocchet.

Best Blank Stare GIFs | Gfycat

Tocchet seems like an awesome guy, but man you can tell this guy has done A LOT of blow and speed in his past. Either that or he is just very wired and hyper. The gamblers flu. Those snorts are unmistakable :(

Edited by Odd.
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Tocchet seems like an awesome guy, but man you can tell this guy has done A LOT of blow and speed in his past. Either that or he is just very wired and hyper. The gamblers flu. Those snorts are unmistakable ;)

came immediately to mind for me too. not surprising considering who he fraternizes with (wayneblo gretzcobar).

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, tas said:

came immediately to mind for me too. not surprising considering who he fraternizes with (wayneblo gretzcobar).

It’s very unmistakable for sure. I know close friends who unfortunately got too deep into gambling and the effects of these drugs that they were taking despite being clean now are still very much present. That wired energy that they didn’t have before is still very much noticeable, particularly the stuttering and the repetitive movements and sounds when they’re talking.

Gambling culture is super perverted and it’s a shame that these big names and corporations are promoting gambling and betting. They don’t teach you responsible gambling, they don’t teach you the risks and potential long term consequences of gambling. All they do is stick a mere disclaimer to “gamble responsibly”. 

BCLC or whatever it’s called sponsors Canucks games and claims its proceedings go into BC which is 100% bullshit. These guys earn a pay check off of hard working individuals being sucked into this lie and consequently ruining relationships, jobs, health, and life. Any other entity would get shut down and be held criminally responsible. 

Sounds like BB might join TV, would be ironic considering Rick's just come from TNT. 

Many teams will be watching the Canucks, if we still suck without Bruce you have to think he gets a job offer with an inferior team. If we sky rocket with Tocchet, I think BB's coaching days are done. His offensive style fits this league very well though.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Sounds like BB might join TV, would be ironic considering Rick's just come from TNT. 

Many teams will be watching the Canucks, if we still suck without Bruce you have to think he gets a job offer with an inferior team. If we sky rocket with Tocchet, I think BB's coaching days are done. His offensive style fits this league very well though.

I thought about this too. The bump last year , I think it was 7 strait. Had to make green feel bad. And to those who would say so what , if like you say there is a bump with tochett would they still say so what with BB. ? 

3 hours ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

We won't know who is available, because we didn't wait until the end of the season when Coaches will be fired. 

To say records don't matter makes no sense to me, because a Coach's career record is a reflection of how consistent they are at staying at X or Y level of hockey performance. Sure they may be on a bad or good team, but did they elevate the team who was bad or just stay at the same level. If the team was good did they elevate the team or not.

Boudreau and Tocchet had consistent winning percentages for most of the teams they coached. If Tocchet coached a bad Arizona team and had a .475 winning %, then what logic is there that he will do better than that with a bad Canucks team? He never elevated the teams he coached, so that track record is relevant to me. If you think he'll somehow dramatically change his track record and get us into the playoff, only time will tell. 

I think you are cherry picking. The 2 seasons prior to .475 were over .500. You say he did not elevate his teams which might be true based on winning % but reports from players and hockey people are positive about Tocchet. I guess the proof will be shown to us this next few months.

I do not expect this roster to turn things around dramatically this spring. What I want to see from the new coaches is a defensively sound game. Build from that. Winning teams build from the net out. I won't dump on the 2 back up tenders we have now. As back ups they would be fine IMHO. But the club is asking them to carry the load. With Demko out we see clearly what the current roster doesn't do in their own zone. If Gonchar and Foote can bring some accountability into the Canuck d-zone which is far more than just the defensemen than that is a major building block. 

JR & PA have had a year to assess and prepare for this TDL. I can only hope that they have a series of trades on the burner which will help transform our Canucks. Some of these moves, such as trading Horvat, should be transformational for the franchise. If Bo is traded I assume EP40 takes the "C". He is the future of the franchise. The players coming back to the team from trades should be 24 or younger. Tocchet has experience working with young players. He should be a fit. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

:sadno: Nope, I don't care if there is a bump. No matter who is the bench boss is the dye is pretty much caste. Hiring Tocchet is the opening salvo in a number of changes coming to the roster. The massive failure of this spring will not be Boudreau leaving but will be the quality of the trades which are coming. I expect Tocchet to do exactly what he said. He will cut the TOI down to some and even out the lines. Focus on accountability and watch for reactions from players. Those who cannot be counted on will likely go faster than others. 

For sure. Hit the ice or hit the road……

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

:sadno: Nope, I don't care if there is a bump. No matter who is the bench boss is the dye is pretty much caste. Hiring Tocchet is the opening salvo in a number of changes coming to the roster. The massive failure of this spring will not be Boudreau leaving but will be the quality of the trades which are coming. I expect Tocchet to do exactly what he said. He will cut the TOI down to some and even out the lines. Focus on accountability and watch for reactions from players. Those who cannot be counted on will likely go faster than others. 

Changes that are allowed by our owner.  Seravelli said on 650 that our owner meddles in hockey ops.  

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

It’s very unmistakable for sure. I know close friends who unfortunately got too deep into gambling and the effects of these drugs that they were taking despite being clean now are still very much present. That wired energy that they didn’t have before is still very much noticeable, particularly the stuttering and the repetitive movements and sounds when they’re talking.

Gambling culture is super perverted and it’s a shame that these big names and corporations are promoting gambling and betting. They don’t teach you responsible gambling, they don’t teach you the risks and potential long term consequences of gambling. All they do is stick a mere disclaimer to “gamble responsibly”. 

BCLC or whatever it’s called sponsors Canucks games and claims its proceedings go into BC which is 100% bullshit. These guys earn a pay check off of hard working individuals being sucked into this lie and consequently ruining relationships, jobs, health, and life. Any other entity would get shut down and be held criminally responsible. 

I love that gretz has shown the world how greasy he is by doing gambling ads when you'd think he'd be smart enough to distance himself as much as possible all things considered. combine that with blatantly lying to scam investors and the absolute trash bag coke fiend wannabe paris hilton he raised and yeesh. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

My point was more about all the bleeding hearts after the firing , not saying I agreed with how it went down , but really everyone knew it was coming I’ll reiterate green probably did feel like he failed. And so might BB. So in that regard my sorrow would be pointed more about how it left him feeling , and once again him absorbing the blame  again for a failure if the bump were to happen. Because BB himself already publically admited he knew it was coming. It would be a another punch in the gut and leave Rutherford feeling more smug than he already is, if that’s even possible ?   Possibly further fallout for BB. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

ffb.png

If that's bad - Babcock and Sutter are downright awful.   

Babcock" Got to push pucks"   "Got hit pucks"   "Got to kick the puck"  "Got to kiss the puck"  "Got to be the puck" la da da dee da.    You guys hated Green's press stuff too.   So i'm going to guess he's going to be hated here too.     Sure he sniffed a lot and talked fast.    Tochett is an animal.   So why not let us find out how he does before picking on stupid stuff like how he talks.   

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Changes that are allowed by our owner.  Seravelli said on 650 that our owner meddles in hockey ops.  

If that is true then so be it Alf. Owners are owners. We all know how involved Jacobs is with his Bruins. Seems to work there. Philly & Detroit had very involved owners. My question might be why they would own a team if they weren't involved. We have become very used to coaches and GM's coming and going. The continuity is ownership. You might rightly criticize ownership if their involvement is negative. 

During the Aquilini ownership the franchise success centered around 2011 Cup finals. A number of strong seasons prior to that. Was it ownership which refused a rebuild in 2012? The attitude of taking another crack with the Twins seemed universal. That ran to 2013. 2014 seemed to be a realization that the org had to change. Benning came in with Linden. Disagreement within the org about the degree of change required. I was for a full rebuild which did not happen. How involved was ownership during this process? I don't know. People from the org who left have never openly criticized ownership. 

Your critical about ownership 'meddling in hockey ops'. IMO they have every right to do so. During their ownership they have never failed to fund the org to the max. They have spent money to strengthen the overall operations far from the ice surface. Could they sell the Canucks and invest that money elsewhere and do better financially. I suspect so. Do they have a bottom line? Again, I suspect so. Do they want a winner in Vancouver? I have no doubt they do.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If that is true then so be it Alf. Owners are owners. We all know how involved Jacobs is with his Bruins. Seems to work there. Philly & Detroit had very involved owners. My question might be why they would own a team if they weren't involved. We have become very used to coaches and GM's coming and going. The continuity is ownership. You might rightly criticize ownership if their involvement is negative. 

During the Aquilini ownership the franchise success centered around 2011 Cup finals. A number of strong seasons prior to that. Was it ownership which refused a rebuild in 2012? The attitude of taking another crack with the Twins seemed universal. That ran to 2013. 2014 seemed to be a realization that the org had to change. Benning came in with Linden. Disagreement within the org about the degree of change required. I was for a full rebuild which did not happen. How involved was ownership during this process? I don't know. People from the org who left have never openly criticized ownership. 

Your critical about ownership 'meddling in hockey ops'. IMO they have every right to do so. During their ownership they have never failed to fund the org to the max. They have spent money to strengthen the overall operations far from the ice surface. Could they sell the Canucks and invest that money elsewhere and do better financially. I suspect so. Do they have a bottom line? Again, I suspect so. Do they want a winner in Vancouver? I have no doubt they do.  

I actually always thought our owner set the direction for management to follow but stayed out of the specific decisions. Now Seravelli is saying our owner meddles in specific hockey decisions.  He added the best teams don’t have owners who get that involved in hockey decisions.  
Yes Gillis was amazing.  He constructed our best teams ever.  But he also knew when the owner needed to change directions from trying to retool around the “old stale” core to rebuilding a new one.  That’s the level of involvement I thought our owner had.  He just wanted a certain direction followed. But Seravelli says otherwise.  

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

I gotta admit.

Tocchet is saying all the things I want to hear.

He is talking about building "relationships with teammates" and that's non-negotiable. This is about team culture, chemistry and playing like a unit on the ice. I love it.

He is talking about JT Miller and his emotions. Going to help him understand when the emotions are helpful and when they aren't .

I think once people let go of all the sour grapes from the Bruce exit, they might be surprised at what a guy like Tocchet can do for this team.

Yeah, I don't like how many are writing him off immediately just because they liked Bruce's personality. Hey, I did too Bruce seems like a grade A human being but at the end of the day the on ice results weren't there. Yes, the roster is flawed but its not this flawed....some of this has to be structure/coaching related. 

• elephant 1

9 hours ago, RWJC said:

No, I’m pro change.

So much respect for everyone involved and their attempt to make it work. 
it was thoroughly exhausted, had to come to an end.

At least we know with this coming iteration that there will be no excuses.

the professionalism and character of players with honour, the types like Schenn and EP and even Lazar, will be the dominant trait of our identity.

at least this is what I hope we develop.

personally, with the way his growth and maturation is trending, and the grit and tenacity and confidence he is showing in his physical side of the game… if EP and Tocchet can develop a connection and understanding, I hope this becomes the trigger point in his career where a coach and player draw from and reciprocate the best of each other, and EP officially becomes elite. 

this could be the transformation required where he unanimously proves to be the defacto team captain and the next Linden.

this is what I hope is just the baseline outcome for this club. 

I get the same feeling with EP. He has been in the shadow of Bo and co. since he came here and this gives him a chance to grow and sprout his wings so to speak. it will be interesting to see how he reacts to the changes and I foresee him and Kuz as our next top pairing for years to come.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BobbyClarke said:

“Rick, there it is”?

Toucchet?

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I actually always thought our owner set the direction for management to follow but stayed out of the specific decisions. Now Seravelli is saying our owner meddles in specific hockey decisions.  He added the best teams don’t have owners who get that involved in hockey decisions.  
Yes Gillis was amazing.  He constructed our best teams ever.  But he also knew when the owner needed to change directions from trying to retool around the “old stale” core to rebuilding a new one.  That’s the level of involvement I thought our owner had.  He just wanted a certain direction followed. But Seravelli says otherwise.  

It seems JR pushes Aquilini a bit.

Before JR said that Aquilini didn’t want to pay for both Green and BB. 
So JR has probably forced Aquilini to change his mind.

It might signal a change from owner to management.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

If that's bad - Babcock and Sutter are downright awful.   

Babcock" Got to push pucks"   "Got hit pucks"   "Got to kick the puck"  "Got to kiss the puck"  "Got to be the puck" la da da dee da.    You guys hated Green's press stuff too.   So i'm going to guess he's going to be hated here too.     Sure he sniffed a lot and talked fast.    Tochett is an animal.   So why not let us find out how he does before picking on stupid stuff like how he talks.   

As I said earlier I am not going to judge his coaching ability with how incoherent he is having said that I stand by my meme :emot-parrot:

Edited by iinatcc