The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

They were discussing this on 650 on my drive home from work.

That they wanted it done way back in October. Also that FA is more involved than any other owner...that most don't go with their President to interview potential coaches. They let their team do their work then just maybe have a brief intro meeting as they're brought in.

I have mixed feelings about this...on the one hand, FA hired Bruce and I kind of like that he wanted to give him a chance/keep him around longer. It's his team and the fact that he wants to be involved is ok by me. On the other hand, you have to trust in your employees to do their jobs without having to be so involved.

Seravalli said that JR & PA thought that Bruce’s practices were terrible and that prospects were regressing instead of progressing. I’m not suggesting JR was the right hire but if FA hired him to fix the organization then it’s probably a good idea to listen to him.

Aside from that what I took from it was that Seravalli said he had the story on “crystal clear authority” so why does everything that happens or gets said internally wind up on front pages and podcasts? Who’s the Edward Snowden on the Canucks staff?

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Yeah, he's quite overrated. He's more relevant for the personality aspect more than anything else, even if he has the most wins as an American coach.

Hes so triggered and angry all the time. Just makes him seem so mentallty weak. I have no idea how as a player you respect that.

• Cheers 1

Hes just a weirdo. 

Ppl give him too much credit. 

That Tampa team was stacked.  Prime richards, vinny, marty. 

Not really. He was around when Tampa had new meddling owners who signed Ryan Malone to that bad contract and a few other things. Jay Feaster resigned with years on his contract, Torterella called the new owners cowboys for all of their dubious moves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008–09_Tampa_Bay_Lightning_season

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Who's reporting this? Just seems made up. 

If true, I'll say Boeser. He knows Tocchet will put him to work.  

Complains, somethings made up, then makes up something even dumber. 

Edited by canuck73_3

One thing that is being overlooked is we are going to be building a system that arguably revolves around our MVP the last 2 seasons prior. Demko and the other Goalies should benefit greatly with some more defensive structure around them and taking away some grade A chances in high danger areas. 

If Miller isn’t allowed to throw pizzas up the middle we should be able to eliminate odd man rushes and breakaways, dummying down the offence to pucks off the glass and out in the defensive zone might actually help the Defence we have assembled here. 

Boeser, Garland, OEL, Myers, Demko, Miller all pretty much get a fresh slate to the years they are having and maybe they increase their value in order to be moved in the offseason (some not all) or even trade deadline this year. Miller at a point a game and a + player has value over one that is -20 and a point a game. The draft is extremely important but it doesn’t look like we will be bottom 3 or a shot at Bedard regardless of how we do the rest of the year, I’d argue the single most important thing next to finishing DL is increasing the value of the players so we can reshape the roster. If Boeser gets confidence and goes on a heater with 10 goals in 10 games or Myers goes +10 from now until the TDL you can maybe move them. 

The way Bruce was handled was not right and reports are coming out that he wouldn’t step aside as an interim or management wanted a change and FA was again interfering by not authorizing it made everyone look stupid. I feel like they are not happy with the promise ownership made to not be involved, sounds like they were again. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Rutherford claims he wasn’t aware of Boudreau’s second year option ?  Then reports of tochett serving out 4 weeks notice to TNT , all the while during the same time frame he’s gone public about Replacing BB.  did he not know about tochetts notice to TNT? In both situations he’s not preemptive at all. But acts , talks reacts off of assumptions. 

He doesn’t know what he had for dinner let alone the hockey operations. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Not really. He was around when Tampa had new meddling owners who signed Ryan Malone to that bad contract and a few other things. Jay Feaster resigned with years on his contract, Torterella called the new owners cowboys for all of their dubious moves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008–09_Tampa_Bay_Lightning_season

Not to mention the Jack Adams win with a Columbus team that was far from stacked. 

So basically we got an owner who meddles and vetos the president who does everything for the gm who doesnt do anything and also nobody was allowed to fire the coach so everyone diverted the blame onto him unfairly. 

Imagine owning an nhl hockey team and still being bad at everything to do with owning a hockey team and having your family make lawsuits against you and not talk to you and your still just like yeup everything im doing is fine. I shouldnt do anything else or change what im doing in any way. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 2

21 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Get those letters out folks. Let’s make national news by swamping the post office in Bruce’s town. Took me 15

minutes and will mean so much to Bruce  and his family. 
C04BDFF3-C093-49AE-9CD3-C109D440C881.thumb.jpeg.fd6fa52f6073ffd645b263c4c8024f6a.jpeg

Why? Why do you care so much about a coach of a hockey team? What has he done personally to garnish this much love. I don't understand the admiration from people, he hasn't won a cup or a division he has only been here for 15 months. Fans are that bored and have nothing to do than to support a random dude's getting fired story?

Edited by CanuckRookieFan
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 2
  • RoughGame 2

1 minute ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Why? Why do you care so much about a coach of a hockey team? What has he done personally to garnish this much love. I don't understand the admiration from people, he hasn't won a cup or a division he has only been here for 15 months. Fans are that bored and have nothing to do than to support a random dude's getting fired story?

I don’t even remember Pat Quinn getting this much love from the fans and he was arguably our greatest coach and GM ever and even has a street named after him. 

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

I agree, I like Bruce Boudreau, a lot actually.

This is nothing against him and I find the adoration amongst fans warranted, he's a great guy and coach.

But people are acting like he's dying at Rutherfords sword. The outcry from fans and media is almost pathetic.

Let's continue and hope management builds a winner.

Edited by BlakeQuinnAndEggs