The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

15 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I prefer Soap Opera, personally...

This is like the old Carol Burnett skit, As the Stomach Turns....

;)

I mean, that one would actually be accurate this season.. 

Management needs to figure out what kind of roster they want to build, what they want the identity of their team to be and they need to do it before the start pulling the trigger on trades. 

What kind of game do we want to play? The coaching staff can implement a system but ultimately it's management who makes the big decisions regarding identity when it comes to constructing their roster. Or deconstructing it. Having goals like making the playoffs and all that is great, but what do we want to be? Do we want to be a high octane club that rolls over teams? A chippy blue collar team like the one the Blues or Boston have often trotted out? Are we a team that focuses more on playing structured defense who prefers to counterpunch than run and gun? 

And which players on the roster actually fit that identity?

It's probably gonna be a lengthy process sorting that bit out. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I liked what Tocchett said about Millers ice time.

Right now he averages around 21 minutes a game. Maybe he should be playing more around 17-18 minutes. Maybe he actually thrives more with less minutes.

It’s obvious he’s gassed a lot during games. That’s when mental mistakes happen.

You can’t have guys killing penalties and being on the powerplay, and being leaned on for matchups. It’s just doesn’t work (unless you’re Bergeron). They need to conserve his minutes for important times in the game. 

That’s why it’s so important to have role players in the bottom 6. Something this team needs to address badly in the offseason.

Meanwhile, a 37yrs old Ovechkin can manage to play 20+ minutes a night, and still be effective with his energy.

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

No, I like Joshua, but I can't say that the 4th line is harder to play against than last year. Our record was always better when Motte was in the lineup, would have liked to see us attempt to resign him during summer when it became obvious that he wasn't going to get the type of income that he thought he would.

The only thing I could really say is in general, the new guys are more durable than Motte, who even now is on IR for Ottawa.

This is fair comment.

What I really did not like about that trade is that it was unnecessary and broke up the great chemistry the team had going under Bruce.

Anybody remember the U-Haul Lammikko Truck Full O' Nux crashing the net?

A Bridge Too Low | Funny gif, Amazing gifs, Gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Talk about a wealth of knowledge & experience with those 2.

Kinda surreal having them as part of the Canucks org tbh, as a kid I used to always trade for Gonchar in the EA NHL games & of course Foote was apart of those rival Avs teams.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 1