The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Seattle Kraken | Jan. 25, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, amplified0ne said:

At this point they are better off trading Demko in the offseason.  He's already showing signs of his body breaking down from the wear and tear, plus he will probably age out before we are any good.  Find a decent 2.5million dollar goalie on a 1 year deal in the offseason and ride with them and Martin next year.  

You’re fired bud. Hehe 

• There it is 1

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Amongst others

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/2015.html

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/2016.html

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/2017.html

Willie wasn't hated for who he was though imo

He was a genuine dude who did his best, I'm glad he got his shot at the bigs

That was the closer to the beginning of the decline 

What a hilariously dismal decade of hockey. Wow time flies. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

He did, he deserved better

But that's this market, it's a tough market to lose in

Interesting contrast that our management is (perceived as) cruel and heartless. Maybe this market has met it's match. 

Maybe that's what's needed, tougher management and coaching in a tougher market.

No wonder everyone's losing their s*** ... lol

• elephant 1

1 minute ago, bad alice french said:

What a hilariously dismal decade of hockey. Wow time flies. 

The more things change the more they stay the same

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Interesting contrast that our management is (perceived as) cruel and heartless. Maybe this market has met it's match. 

Maybe that's what's needed, tougher management and coaching in a tougher market.

No wonder everyone's losing their s*** ... lol

They'll get eaten up and spit out, you'll see

5 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Hopefully not. We just might finally win after 50 years of losing.

Doubtful, I reckon it'll be a process that outlives JR'S role here

I said probs at least four years out from contention throughout the summer, could ve longer, I didn't think we'd look this bad

• Cheers 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

Doubtful, I reckon it'll be a process that outlives JR'S role here

I said probs at least four years out from contention throughout the summer, could ve longer, I didn't think we'd look this bad

I really believe the secret is doing things differently and unconventionally, and uncomfortably, with a harder edge. I think this focus on accountability, harder play, details, and getting rid of passengers is a start.

It's funny, when I first got really active on the boards in 2013, I remember saying that it very well could take 10-15 years when you look at the years in between each of our three Cup appearances. Of course I got crucified for it. Lol

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Sadly the Kracken have now passed us up, and will never look back. If a player wants to live in the NW and pay no income tax, big name UFAs will sign in Seattle. What we have now is probably the best the Canucks will be for years. It takes four to five years for a rebuild to work, and they are never assured to succeed. The Canucks start with a fairly empty cupboard, basically a few bottom six wingers, Pods, Hogs, etc., maybe a bottom pairding D and two legit long-term top players in Petey and QH, and I'm fairly positive Hughes will flee to NJ as soon as he's a UFA if not traded first.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I really believe the secret is doing things differently and unconventionally, and uncomfortably, with a harder edge. I think this focus on accountability, harder play, details, and getting rid of passengers is a start.

It's funny, when I first got really active on the boards in 2013, I remember saying that it very well could take 10-15 years when you look at the years in between each of our three Cup appearances. Of course I got crucified for it. Lol

Eh, edge isn't going to fast-track turning around our defense, unconventionality isn't going to restock our prospect cupboards. This team needs some serious surgery and it'll likely be a longer process to turn things around than people will probably like imo. That's what you get when you keep failing at retools over and over again. If the Canucks had actually committed to a rebuild years ago they'd probably be better off. 

I don't think Tocchet will be around when this team is actually competitive again on a regular basis, I reckon he's another stopgap who might be around long enough to shift things but thats it. We'll see. 

This management group seems as stubborn as the last one, not all that confident. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1