The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Seattle Kraken | Jan. 25, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, CanucksJay said:

Ok my takes on the game

Petey was atrocious all night. 

Giveaways, losing puck battles, half ass skating. Not sure what was up with him. 

I thought Horvat was ok. I saw him forecheck, make hits. 

Man, is Petey ready to be our number 1 centre once Bo leaves? 

Maybe he was the player crying uncontrollably when Bruce left. He hasn't looked the same. Looks like 2021/22 Petey

8 minutes ago, Muttley said:

I guess everyone sees things different. I thought Larssen had a terrible game, as did Myers. They both were on camera screening the goalie and neither played 

much of a physical  game. Both were out of position, Neither was in much of a rush to do anything.

I saw the lack of urgency and the fact that they got hemmed in once with the Lazar line out there (if I remember correctly?).  

Just whenever the real bad breakdowns happened, I didn't see much wrong with OEL's coverage... and oh boy did breakdowns happen tonight.  I was embarassed for Spencer Martin having to make 5-alarm saves back-to-back. 

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Roster still sucks. Make some trades.... and Martin :picard:

Honestly could have been a greater loss 

I wouldn’t blame Martin for the score 

not saying he couldn’t be bettwr

but we played like trash 

• Upvote 1

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

I saw the lack of urgency and the fact that they got hemmed in once with the Lazar line out there (if I remember correctly?).  

Just whenever the real bad breakdowns happened, I didn't see much wrong with OEL's coverage... and oh boy did breakdowns happen tonight.  I was embarassed for Spencer Martin having to make 5-alarm saves back-to-back. 

OEL wasn’t the problem tonihht I agree 

was a total team effort 

• There it is 1

Best way to sell your season ticket holders is a top 2 pick Aquaman.

Nobody is gonna see a winning streak at any point as a success or something to get excited about.

Hopefully his shortsightedness isn’t blinding him to this but I doubt it.

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Best way to sell your season ticket holders is a top 2 pick Aquaman.

Nobody is gonna see a winning streak at any point as a success or something to get excited about.

Hopefully his shortsightedness isn’t blinding him to this but I doubt it.

I think he might be alright giving up on this season at least.  They’ve sure shut down Demko past initial estimates.  

Plus, they don’t seem to be calling up some of the more promising players from Abby.

Here’s hoping anyways.  The real test will be how much they sell at the deadline (and for what in return.)

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Here's my read on Rutherford:

He gets his reputation from GM'ing two Stanley Cup winning teams.

But why did the Pens win those Cups?

Because they had the best player of the last 20 years, Sid Crosby, a second center in Geno Malkin who was an Art Ross and Conn Smyth winner... and a topnotch goalie in Marc Andre Fleury... all drafted by Craig Patrick when he was GM.  And in 2016 he lucked out with a rookie goalie in Matt Murray who totally played over his head... the best of his career.

In those years Rutherford just added small pieces to a strong core... he didn't make any important moves.  He hasn't drafted any particularly great players.

Arguably Rutherford found himself with a really strong team and was able to tinker a bit and come off with wins.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Yes and no. Properly balanced teams have won cups with ordinary goalies. Benning was paying big bucks for proper backups and that didn't work either.

Goaltending has  been terrible all year including Demko since the beginning of the season. It had a lot to do with our start.  I can’t recall many teams getting through 50 or 60 games with two minor league goaltenders and coming out with a winning record. I just think that it’s hard to properly assessed this roster with us bleeding goals like this.

• There it is 1

Just now, bad alice french said:

Goaltending has  been terrible all year including Demko since the beginning of the season. It had a lot to do with our start.  I can’t recall many teams getting through 50 or 60 games with two minor league goaltenders and coming out with a winning record. I just think that it’s hard to properly assessed this roster with us bleeding goals like this.

The team is giving the opposition way too many 2 on 1's and 3 on 2's... not to mention giving the puck away in their zone... that is nothing to do with goaltending.

A goalie who is facing that kind of challenge is going to let in goals... no matter how good they are.

Demko made the team look good last season... he should have won the Vezina.

But in the process he destroyed himself physically and was not ready this year.

3 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Here's my read on Rutherford:

He gets his reputation from GM'ing two Stanley Cup winning teams.

But why did the Pens win those Cups?

Because they had the best player of the last 20 years, Sid Crosby, a second center in Geno Malkin who was an Art Ross and Conn Smyth winner... and a topnotch goalie in Marc Andre Fleury... all drafted by Craig Patrick when he was GM.  And in 2016 he lucked out with a rookie goalie in Matt Murray who totally played over his head... the best of his career.

In those years Rutherford just added small pieces to a strong core... he didn't make any important moves.  He hasn't drafted any particularly great players.

Arguably Rutherford found himself with a really strong team and was able to tinker a bit and come off with wins.

He also won the cup as a GM with the Carolina Hurricanes in 2006.  He joined them in 1994 so he spent 12 years building that team into a champion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1