The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Columbus Blue Jackets at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 27, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, Pavel the Bure said:

A partial ACL tear is also called a grade 2 sprain. Grade 2 injuries are rare and occur when the ligament stretches enough to become loose and damaged.

It is not always clear if partial tears should be treated surgically since in many cases it is possible to recover after nonsurgical rehabilitation. The decision often depends on your pain level and whether or not your knee is unstable.

By contrast, a grade 1 sprain is when the ligament is slightly stretched and damaged but the knee is still fairly stable. A grade 3 sprain is a complete tear of the ACL. With this injury, the knee joint becomes unstable and surgery is almost always necessary to correct it.

Mikheyev had a grade 2 sprain. Partial tear. He said it was almost completely torn, but he may not know exactly what the damage is, or can’t explain it properly. JR needs to do another press conference with the head doctor I think to advise on the actual extent of the damage.  

Again, I’ll stand corrected if someone has more info, but I don’t think playing on the ACL is a big “risk” in the short term. 

Eventually it needs surgery because long term it’ll start to wear the cartilage and short term you’re not going to be 100%.  

But in the short term it’s not like you’re taking a huge risk of blowing the whole knee out. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Pavel the Bure said:

A partial ACL tear is also called a grade 2 sprain. Grade 2 injuries are rare and occur when the ligament stretches enough to become loose and damaged.

It is not always clear if partial tears should be treated surgically since in many cases it is possible to recover after nonsurgical rehabilitation. The decision often depends on your pain level and whether or not your knee is unstable.

By contrast, a grade 1 sprain is when the ligament is slightly stretched and damaged but the knee is still fairly stable. A grade 3 sprain is a complete tear of the ACL. With this injury, the knee joint becomes unstable and surgery is almost always necessary to correct it.

I had this same injury when I was 16.

Lots of physio and time on a bike and strengthening the muscle groups in the area.

After a couple weeks off could still play hockey but it reaggrevated itself fairly often and this went on for several years.

I could see how an NHL player could play through it but it would be hard to put it in the back of your mind. If surgery is an option it is wise to do for a professional athelete so they don't have to deal with years of ongoing reaggrevation.

3 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Again, I’ll stand corrected if someone has more info, but I don’t think playing on the ACL is a big “risk” in the short term. 

Eventually it needs surgery because long term it’ll start to wear the cartilage and short term you’re not going to be 100%.  

But in the short term it’s not like you’re taking a huge risk of blowing the whole knee out. 

Yeah, I’m thinking it was initially a partial tear and then progressively got worse. It came to a point where it was almost completely torn as Mikheyev suggested, so they decided to have the surgery now. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’m aware the doctors need to clear him. I’m asking why they did?

It’s probably a small tear that can just easily not give you any serious issues,.   
He’s been skating hard on it , looks painless.

im sure it was monitored.

This gives him the Summer to look forward to and training hard after rehab.

The timing is perfect .

I was there.

It was fun.

OEL's penalties were both hot garbage.

Tyler Myers penalty was a good call.

Delia played really well, just overplayed the 'off the back' goal which was unfortunate.

Team Tank lost, but... it was still fun.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, GB5 said:

I had this same injury when I was 16.

Lots of physio and time on a bike and strengthening the muscle groups in the area.

After a couple weeks off could still play hockey but it reaggrevated itself fairly often and this went on for several years.

I could see how an NHL player could play through it but it would be hard to put it in the back of your mind. If surgery is an option it is wise to do for a professional athelete so they don't have to deal with years of ongoing reaggrevation.

Same thing happened to me at 16 too. Weird thing was, I could play hockey but baseball and basketball just killed me ... quickly ... had surgery within a year ... thank god!!! 

• Like 3