The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chris Gear on Sekeres & Price

Rate this topic

MaxVerstappen33

5 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

If you think five year forward it fits fine.

He will be, almost only, vet in the canucks.

I’m sure you’ve heard that we must have vets,,,

In 5 years he's going to be the worst value player in the team and maybe in the league.  He's already come back down to earth and, with a retirement deal, has no once five to put in the work........ something he clearly needs.

27 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

The whole league doesn’t use that against us.

That’s just bs or a media spin.

If you talked to the average non Canucks NHL fan and asked them what the worst recent contract in the NHL is, most of them world say Miller bro ! Why ? Because Canucks fans have signal boosted that narrative to the masses. If he was traded to the Islanders and had that contract and his current points totals, nobody would have noticed.

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

This just dropped 8 hours ago. He takes some swipes at the new regime. Some legit ones i think. Like about how none of the new regime are from Vancouver. They also go into the Benning era , Linden et al

"I'm trying to think back to 2018, the sea of Granlunds" - Gear lol

Interesting point on how they really couldn't rebuild in 2018 after the Sedins retired because they just didn't have the tradable assets to get picks and decent prospects.

Vanek was moved that year for Motte, they wouldn;t have been trading Bo or Brock back then.... probably the only valuable assets that were in 2018 were Tanev and Edler but the timing may not have been right back then to move them.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GB5 said:

Interesting point on how they really couldn't rebuild in 2018 after the Sedins retired because they just didn't have the tradable assets to get picks and decent prospects.

Vanek was moved that year for Motte, they wouldn;t have been trading Bo or Brock back then.... probably the only valuable assets that were in 2018 were Tanev and Edler but the timing may not have been right back then to move them.

The management couldn’t rebuild in 2018 because our owner will not allow rebuilding trades.  He bought the club in 2006.  He hasn’t allowed any rebuilding moves during his ownership.  It’s always sacrifice the future to build a better team right now.  Gillis did it great.  But Benning was a disaster.  Now the new group is trying to fulfill what the owner wants.  

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

This just dropped 8 hours ago. He takes some swipes at the new regime. Some legit ones i think. Like about how none of the new regime are from Vancouver. They also go into the Benning era , Linden et al

This was a pretty interesting interview...I enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

In 5 years he's going to be the worst value player in the team and maybe in the league.  He's already come back down to earth and, with a retirement deal, has no once five to put in the work........ something he clearly needs.

If he’s as emotional as people say he will put up points late in his career.

He got pride if so.

Edited by Timråfan
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

If you talked to the average non Canucks NHL fan and asked them what the worst recent contract in the NHL is, most of them world say Miller bro ! Why ? Because Canucks fans have signal boosted that narrative to the masses. If he was traded to the Islanders and had that contract and his current points totals, nobody would have noticed.

I think you’ve given the Canucks fan too much power.

organisations listens but they go by facts and statistics.

Edited by Timråfan

5 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

He got pride if so.

Yup.  Miller plays with passion.  I think if we trade Bo (I don’t believe our owner will allow it though) that Petey will be captain, but Miller will be the vocal guy, who leads that way.  I don’t know what’s wrong with Bo, but he just refuses to get involved (unless with the puck in the O-Zone) n any kind of physical play.  Why doesn’t he stand up for his teammates?  Is he a coward or has he just checked out on playing the right way? 

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Miller plays with passion.  I think if we trade Bo (I don’t believe our owner will allow it though) that Petey will be captain, but Miller will be the vocal guy, who leads that way.  I don’t know what’s wrong with Bo, but he just refuses to get involved (unless with the puck in the O-Zone) n any kind of physical play.  Why doesn’t he stand up for his teammates?  Is he a coward or has he just checked out on playing the right way? 

It just isn't in Bo's temperament.

On the other hand , it is in Millers temperament. But he should use it on the opposition more. Miller should be able to run guys into the boards directly just as Lazar does. But he always turns and hits them 80% instead of 100.

Miller should scrap and hit more too. And be a pest. He has a mouth on him. Why isn't he beaking off more and causing scrums ? Miller should reinvent himself a bit. 

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

It just isn't in Bo's temperament.

On the other hand , it is in Millers temperament. But he should use it on the opposition more. Miller should be able to run guys into the boards directly just as Lazar does. But he always turns and hits them 80% instead of 100.

Miller should scrap and hit more too. And be a pest. He has a mouth on him. Why isn't he beaking off more and causing scrums ? Miller should reinvent himself a bit. 

"Passion", the iron pyrite of the hockey world 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

8m isn't as bad as Canucks fans claim. And now the whole league uses it against us. I'd rather have Miller than Huberdaue at 10.5

I agree.  $8M for Miller is fair for a 70-80 point top line winger which he is if you take away his career season 2021-22.

FWIW, that is exactly how he's projecting for 2022-23

However, this says nothing about whether they should have picked Miller over Horvat.  But look, Horvat has been a solid 60-70 point centre (and that's being generous) who is having a career season this year.  Is this to say that he's going to repeat that performance for the foreseeable future?  It does not.  He has been running on an unsustainable s% which was as high as 24% and is already starting to slide.

At least Miller's year last year was due to a higher than usual shot rate with a consistent s%

3 hours ago, Timråfan said:

He got pride if so.

Did you hear the talk about how Miller said to I-Mac that he gets into his play so deeply and if it doesn't work out he gets so mad at himself that he blacks out for a few seconds!  This is why he doesn't get back into the play on the back check.  It's an emotional issue.

There is hope that Tocchet can work with him on this.  I feel as though they might see eye to eye.  We'll see.

• Upvote 1

On 1/28/2023 at 7:17 PM, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Gears tone & hesitancy says alot more than what he said: Francesco is the problem.  Francesco is the one that continues to handcuffed his FO's, into making shortsighted gamble for futures and good chance, the current FO will double down on retooling around Miller, instead of getting younger around EP.  Plus, I am personally, not confident with (politician) Allvin cause it seems the decision doesn't belong to him and he is only there to execute an order; and chances are good, the return will be underwhelming & predictable. 

Gear kept saying "no guarantee" with any plan and it just sounded like he was an enabler of the mess, whilst, covering up for himself.  He brought up the Laffs, Spoilers & (one of the ever rebuilding losers) Yotes as a case against rebuilding - and not mentioning the various owners & FO's making the decisions for each specific clubs.  I am not really a big fan of the show cause they seem to pander a lot, depending on the guest and they tend to (also) hesitate on asking the hard questions.  Listening to the interview, THEY COULD HAD EASILY MADE A COUNTER ARGUMENT ABOUT GEARS REBUILDING argument, by bringing up the teams and their respective FO's, that had succeeded in building up a roster, through the draft and eventually won a Cup.

Ultimately, it comes down to the person making the FINAL decisions and IT IS OBVIOUS BY NOW, THAT FRANCESCO IS A VERY HANDS-OWN OWNER and his various FO's were just hired to execute his (shortsighted) plan(s): short term profits vs a Cup.  I keep bring up, Yzerman in Detroit and how Illich had given him the reigns & the opportunity to creatively build up Detroit, after moving in from Holland.  Or how about the CBJ GM, that is creatively doing a quick rebuild around Gaudreau & Laine, after moving on from the Panarin core ?  Anyways, Francescos' ever retooling plan will continue cause a regular season win, is still enough to keep him profitable, whilst, some of the rebuilding clubs are ready to turn the page.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/569255

Edited by ShawnAntoski