The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

2 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Do you think they’ll do a tribute video now? He’s kind of made it awkward, lol.

Did one for Kesler, would look kinda bad if we didn't for our former captain. Regardless of how I feel about him, he should probably have a tribute video. He didn't specifically ask for a trade. The only bad blood is Bo sticking his foot in his mouth. Which is more funny than bad. He played hard here, he just wasn't the leader we hoped he was. Also, we were a really poorly run team. He gave us nothing to cheer for, management didn't give him much to work with. Give him his video, give him the same mixed reception Kesler got, call it a day. Maybe less boos. Like I said, there's no real bad blood with Horvat. At least I don't view it that way, it's fun to meme him. But I don't think I dislike him.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Did one for Kesler, would look kinda bad if we didn't for our former captain. Regardless of how I feel about him, he should probably have a tribute video. He didn't specifically ask for a trade. The only bad blood is Bo sticking his foot in his mouth. Which is more funny than bad. He played hard here, he just wasn't the leader we hoped he was. Also, we were a really poorly run team. He gave us nothing to cheer for, management didn't give him much to work with. Give him his video, give him the same mixed reception Kesler got, call it a day. Maybe less boos. Like I said, there's no real bad blood with Horvat. At least I don't view it that way, it's fun to meme him. But I don't think I dislike him.

Well said.  He didn’t have much to work with, and was given the C too young.

Hope he gets a tribute video. Maybe they can list all of his accomplishments, then throw in ‘I’ll tell you that for free’ for good measure.

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Like 1

And all of the Bo lovers, who keep defending him ad nauseum, thinking they know what the definition of a captain is when in reality, they know piss all....I'll take the word of an ex NHL'er who's connected, any day as word.

It was on his shoulders, and it was on him. He failed to lead the charge. Anyone who doesn't have a crush on the lad could see him, year after year, go through long stretches of disappearing and indifference....even if his smug pic were on milk cartons, he would still be nowhere to be found. Never any fire in his belly....

Anyway, we fleeced NYI in the trade, it's fkn larceny, and I'm glad we finally have management that's experienced and smart enough to make the necessary moves when called for.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1
  • elephant 1

5 hours ago, CR7 said:

I mean if your take is Bo was shit and did nothing for us, McDavid is garbage and has done nothing for Edmonton. Sure they had 2 decent playoff runs, but he has also got coaches fired...

Your comparing Horvat to McDavid who has lead the oilers, and put up some of the most remarkable stats in the history of the NHL ??

McDavid has done more as a Leader and Captain in Edmonton even in their years out of the playoffs.

You vastly overate Horvat ,  who will be the undoing of Lou L next.

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Playoff Beered said:

My vote is for Quinn, if you have a true number #1 defense man you give them the C. Give A's to Petey, and Miller and then you have officers on the ice pretty much all game long.

I don't know.  Phil Housley was a mega number one defenseman, Hall of Famer with a bullet but I don't really think of him as the captaining a team to the Cup type.  Mike Green.  Jeff Brown was a pretty legit number one D-man...heh, that might have been worse than Messier if he had been captain.

Guys like Ray Bourque and Scott Stevens absolutely scream "captain" and pretty much did from their first game.  But that's a different kind of player.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

Bo strikes me as someone who just might read these forums late at night when nobody is looking to see what people are saying about him, and I could totally see how doing that would get him riled up and feeling disrespected by this fan base. So for the record, I don't think he's a bad guy at all, I'm not mad at him in any way, and I wish him all the best. He's a very good hockey player and any team would be happy to have him. But I do think he's too meek to lead an NHL team, and isn't a guy that inspires greatness or really drives play. He's a very good support player that is a little overpaid now, And I'll happily take this all back if he leads the Islanders to a Stanley Cup in his tenure there!

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

I can't believe this is even in question.

This is Earth ?  Isn’t it Kenny ??

Has the world and hockey changed that much?

The new generations of fans only respect how they look in a uniform and not how they perform ,  .. it seems a bit pretentious.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Hi light all of his fly bys , and back turning in scrums..   

So if Canucks make EP40 (or QH) the next captain, do you expect him to throw down in the next scrum?  

Just want to know what you’re expectations are.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Fantastic post. 
We keep hearing how good the core is but this really highlights the depth of the problems outside the core 3. This isn’t something a buyout of OEL and then spending like crazy on a UFA to replace him will fix.  
We need to subtract a bunch of player to have room to add pieces that are needed to complement the core we have.  This will probably take a couple of years as Myers won’t go anywhere because he doesn’t want to and has enough control to make it hard to move an unappealing d-man. OEL won’t likely be bought out this off-season, it is just too much money. Best we can do is subtract 1-3 of Beau, Brock and Garland and that will likely cost us futures or bring back other teams ill-fitting pieces. 

Our best subtraction became our biggest plus in the last 5 years.

It also moved a lane Captain out of the dressing room that preferred to pass along in  his career without actually leading anything except the status quo.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

Just now, BPA said:

So if Canucks make EP40 (or QH) the next captain, do you expect him to throw down in the next scrum?  

I don’t expect Hughes or EP to take the Captaincy,  I’m hoping that goes to Miller for all the right reasons of attaining a Captaincy.

Not given to someone like Horvat on potential,.

or anyone else because of point output.

A captain should be ready to throw down to show his team they shouldn’t tolerate some aspects of the game .

to answer your question,  yes,  they should be willing to throw down when nessescary.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I don’t expect Hughes or EP to take the Captaincy,  I’m hoping that goes to Miller for all the right reasons of attaining a Captaincy.

Not given to someone like Horvat on potential,.

or anyone else because of point output.

A captain should be ready to throw down to show his team they shouldn’t tolerate some aspects of the game .

to answer your question,  yes,  they should be willing to throw down when nessescary.

Yikes. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, BPA said:

6 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Yikes. 

Even though there are a small group of teams without a Captain.

Every Captain currently listed on an NHL Team is willing to throw down..

Are we going to suffer through this again for another decade or more ?

Pick a Captain who looks strong and silent,  looks imposing,  .. poster boy, scores goals, gets points, has a great jawline,

..but won’t stick it out when he needs to get a game back on track or to rally his team to show they won’t be taking liberties against them.

Great point getters can be great point getters without taking on the the WORK and RESPONSIBILITY of a Captain.

Captaincy is not a reward.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Honestly i think its going to be Hughes

Hes vocal enough, and has an insane work rate, and the whole team respects his skill level

He'll always hold the whole team to a very high standard

I love Miller, im glad we kept him, hes just too emotional to be captain in my opinion. When things dont go right, i dont think hes the guy you want everyone looking to for their cues on how to behave. 

Add that Hughes plays half the game too.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Bo strikes me as someone who just might read these forums late at night when nobody is looking to see what people are saying about him, and I could totally see how doing that would get him riled up and feeling disrespected by this fan base. So for the record, I don't think he's a bad guy at all, I'm not mad at him in any way, and I wish him all the best. He's a very good hockey player and any team would be happy to have him. But I do think he's too meek to lead an NHL team, and isn't a guy that inspires greatness or really drives play. He's a very good support player that is a little overpaid now, And I'll happily take this all back if he leads the Islanders to a Stanley Cup in his tenure there!

Or maybe he has his wife read them for him, like Matt Cooke did.