The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Spencer Martin, Axel Jonsson-Fjallby

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think they know exactly what they are doing but they don't really need to give you or I or anyone else a play by play of what their real plans are as that would tip off the rest of the league as to what is really going on here.

My astute observation over the past year is that JR likes to talk, but he also likes to deceive.  He hired Allvin who is really good at talking alot and saying nothing.  Unlike Jim Benning, they try and keep things under wraps until it happens.  The Horvat trade is a key example.  The one time the media found out about their plans in advance it backfired on them spectacularly, which was the Boudreau firing.  I don't think they are going to make that mistake again, and JR has promised to keep his mouth shut and let Allvin do the talking, which we know leads to him not saying anything...

Hmm well I don't think the Horvat trade was something management tried to keep hidden necessarily.

Everyone knew it was likely bound to happen.

The team situation and all the events leading up to it such as the rejected contract offers and even management outlining that they wanted the roster player, pick and prospect package for any type of trade, was eventually something that ended up happening.

I guess if anything, the Miller re-signing was the one that probably threw off a lot of canuck fans and even the rest of the league, which was pretty much the opposite of the Horvat ordeal.

However, I do agree with your point that they don't owe anyone an explanation. 

The results will speak for themselves. 

On 2/13/2023 at 12:03 PM, canuck73_3 said:

Edmonton has won it half a dozen times, time to put this myth to bed. 

Edmonton won the Stanley cup a dozen times.  Well when was the last time A Canadian team won the cup??? 30 years ago 1993.!!! And when did Garry buttman became commissioner of the NHL? 1993??? Coincidence? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aznmonk said:

Edmonton won the Stanley cup a dozen times.  Well when was the last time A Canadian team won the cup??? 30 years ago 1993.!!! And when did Garry buttman became commissioner of the NHL? 1993??? Coincidence? 

100 percent, all professional sports are managed now for profit. It’s all about money and has turned professional sports into professional entertainment. The NHL will make more money each year having an American team win the cup rather than a Canadian team. Canadian fans will always love hockey and keep coming back. Where as if X American team doesn’t do well those fans will disappear.

Edited by Kage17
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Kage17 said:

100 percent, all professional sports are managed now for profit. It’s all about money and has turned professional sports into professional entertainment. The NHL will make more money each year having an American team win the cup rather than a Canadian team. Canadian fans will always love hockey and keep coming back. Where as if X American team doesn’t do well those fans will disappear.

To be fair, there are many Americans that live and die hockey. 

Most of the original 6 teams are American. 

While this is Canada’s game, it’s also a game that has its roots in the US. 

The profiteering is definitely exacerbated by the US capitalism model and that will suck every penny dry until the ‘game’ we love is a shell of its former self. 

But I digress. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

To be fair, there are many Americans that live and die hockey. 

Most of the original 6 teams are American. 

While this is Canada’s game, it’s also a game that has its roots in the US. 

The profiteering is definitely exacerbated by the US capitalism model and that will suck every penny dry until the ‘game’ we love is a shell of its former self. 

But I digress. 

It's why buttman trying to suffocate canadian teams to sell all?of them to the us! A monopoly.

1 hour ago, aznmonk said:

It's why buttman trying to suffocate canadian teams to sell all?of them to the us! A monopoly.

Canadian teams were suffocated from the start of the League though.

Canada was not the be all and end all of when the NHL was formed. 

The US was. 

The population base for this League was always down South. 

The League just sucked all the Canadian talent down South in order to pay them more. 

The Canadians love Canada. The money wasn’t in Canada. It’s the reality, then and now. 

If a Canadian team ever won the Stanley Cup, then ‘we’ should always root for them and celebrate them. 

Rooting for an American team, even if they have Canadian players, is the stupidest, backward, self-immolating thing you can do as a ‘Canadian’ hockey fan, unless your family member is on a particular US team. 

I’m just using your post as a means to a diatribe end. 

No disrespect to you, I assure you. 

The fact that we have more Canadian teams now than ever before and don’t have a Cup in ‘our’ Country, for the last 20 years, is despicable and saddening. 

The ‘best’ ‘teams’ are from Canada. This country taught the rest of the world how to play the game, and Canada has lost all its talent to elsewhere. Meaning, coaches, scouts, players and others. 

If any Canadian teams wins the Cup, celebrate them. It might be the last time the Cup is raised on ‘our’ soil. 

Sorry.