The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Trade our 2 1st

20 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

If this team was close to being a cup contender, and adding a couple of really good pieces right now gave us a good chance of winning it all in the next couple of years, then yes.

But right now, nope.

We need Räty to be a solid 2C, Demko back, in shape, an RHD(we might already have him) that can help OEL and a 1stRHD.

So it might be only a 1st RHD before we’re a contender.

Out offence is good and will only get better.

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

But will that be a better player than Noah Dobson, Shea Theodore etc?

we might already got our C doublepunch in Räty and Petey wich means a third quality C isn’t necessary if it isn’t Bedard.

You're not getting a Dobson or a Theodore, both Vegas and the Isles have shown they're teams that want to actually compete sooner than later. Vegas is looking at Meier, they've brought in guys like Pacioretty, Stone, and Pietrangelo, they're not going to give away pieces that make them competitive now for futures. 

Same goes for a team like the Isles, the Horvat acquisition alone as well as their shipping out a 1st for Romanov doesn't give any indication that they'd be looking to move out a player like Dobson for uncertain futures. 

I'm not as high on Raty as others either, which isn't to say he's not a good prospect. The Isles prospect pool wasn't great, saying he was their best prospect doesn't mean as much as it would if he'd belonged to a team with a better pool of prospects. Maybe he hits 3C, maybe he shifts over to the wing, maybe he ends up being an NHL tweener, we don't know. I'm not willing to pencil him in as a surefire NHL'er, it'd be great if he turns out that way but we'll see. 

You always need to be acquiring prospects too, the draft is where you're mostly likely to get top grade players. I think not taking advantage of a deeper 1st round would be a mistake, restructuring the D is likely to be a more of a gradual process anyway imo so I don't think management needs to try and rush it. 

All this being said, trading the Isles pick is one thing whereas trading our own pick is another. If the Isles pick lands around 13 or later maybe moving it could be a consideration, I'm bullish on keeping our pick though as it should likely be top 7. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

We need Räty to be a solid 2C, Demko back, in shape, an RHD(we might already have him) that can help OEL and a 1stRHD.

So it might be only a 1st RHD before we’re a contender.

Out offence is good and will only get better.

I wish we were a single top-pair RHD away from being a contender, and maybe we are. Sometimes a single key player can have a huge ripple effect on the entire roster.

But I don't think any of Stillman, Dermott, or Burroughs makes a contending roster, and OEL/Myers would be fine as a 3rd pairing but are paid like 1st pairing guys which really limits our options at acquiring another solid D-man or good defensive depth forward that I really think we need. 

1 hour ago, Strawbone said:

I wish we were a single top-pair RHD away from being a contender, and maybe we are. Sometimes a single key player can have a huge ripple effect on the entire roster.

But I don't think any of Stillman, Dermott, or Burroughs makes a contending roster, and OEL/Myers would be fine as a 3rd pairing but are paid like 1st pairing guys which really limits our options at acquiring another solid D-man or good defensive depth forward that I really think we need. 

This is a lot of players that can thrive if we get a real good RHD with Demko and Silovs as the goalie tandem.

Hughes and a player like Theodore can play at least 25 minutes each.

Mikhejev. Petey. Kuz

Miller Räty. Podz

Beauvillier Klimovich. Boeser

Di Guiseppi Joshua. Garland

Karlsson Åman Lekkerimäki

Lazar Studnicka Dries

Pearson

Hughes Schenn

Stillman/Dermott/Petey2 Theodore

OEL Bear

Woo or someone else from Abbotsford

Demko/Siliovs

Edited by Timråfan

The team isn’t good and one RHD isn’t going to turn us into a contender.  I don’t think helping us get to “maybe” squeaking into the playoffs in the next couple of years should be the goal.

Get as many picks and prospects between now and 2025… hope that we get a critical mass of young cheap player to start getting good at that point as they filter onto the roster.  Some of those picks will come in pretty much right away and some may marinate in Europe or lower leagues for 2-5 years.  It would furnish a pipeline to actually make the team better and more cap efficient.

1 hour ago, Bobby James said:

Reality is I don't think Van trades 2 first at this point. 

But for fun, who would make this trade??

To Van 

Seider

To Detroit:

2 x 1st round picks 2023

OEL

Yzerman hangs up the phone, hunts you down, and spits in your face.

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

9 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Statistically it’s a small chance to get Bedard with a fifth in the draft so wich team is willing to gamble their first RHD for a chance to get Bedard? 

Exactly, so what is the teams ready to pay for a chance to get him? 

Well, a team wanting Bedard might be willing to gamble.

There are other players in the draft besides Bedard lol…

3 hours ago, J-23 said:

There are other players in the draft besides Bedard lol…

Well, he is the player to draft.

Carlsson might be similar to Petey. Fantili, Michkoh etc, are they definately gonna be a franchise player or is it just a hope now?

Wich D is as dynamic as Dahlin was par example? I’ve seen talk about Sandin-Pelikka and I wasn’t impressed by him.

7 hours ago, Bobby James said:

Reality is I don't think Van trades 2 first at this point. 

But for fun, who would make this trade??

To Van 

Seider

To Detroit:

2 x 1st round picks 2023

OEL

Finally someone who can play along.  
You should get a prize for being poster of the month or something similar. :towel:

Seider seems to be exactly what we want, young, established and on ELC.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Well, he is the player to draft.

Carlsson might be similar to Petey. Fantili, Michkoh etc, are they definately gonna be a franchise player or is it just a hope now?

Wich D is as dynamic as Dahlin was par example? I’ve seen talk about Sandin-Pelikka and I wasn’t impressed by him.

And what's your point lol.

A team is not going to trade a RHD like Dobson or Seider lol.  

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

What is the cost if we wait till next year to buy him out? 

What we need to hope for, is that the owners and GMs agree to give all teams a freebie.   It happened before after the housing crisis.    Let's hope that's what happens.   Without checking i'm pretty sure each team was given two freebies.   We used them on Booth and Ballard, the guys MG spent all that cap savings on.   Too bad instead they just didn't re-sign Mitchell.   Probably have a cup now and still be loving that. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

At the end of the day the way out is still draft reliant.    And this is going to take quite sometime.   Best case they can tread water while they wait for cap to shed, re-invest wisely on short-midterm deals and keep it up with the Bear like transactions.    Make the playoffs a gain some experience in 2025, and the next wave comes in and replaces those guys.   Hate to say this but EP and QHs are likely 28-31 before this team has any chance of actually contending.