The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Since Toronto is all in.....

Since Dubas is clearly in the "win now" mindset. They don't have much left. So let's help take everything!

From Toronto:  (C) Fraser Minten, 2024 4th round pick, 2025 3rd round pick

In Exchange:

Hoglander, and Rathbone

We get a centre, that we can take time to develop into a defensive forward with upside, and picks. Toronto gets players that suit their win now mentality.

Here's the devious part. This puts Toronto up against the contract limit. Hoagy is an RFA and even if he signs with the Leafs. He loses his waiver exempt status.

So Vancouver might even be able to snag him back!

• Sad 1

I just don't see the value being there for Toronto, I'd argue that Rathbone's trade value is minimal and Hoglander's being in the AHL isn't exactly a strong selling point. This doesn't really look to help them much at the NHL level unless Toronto is convinced Hoglander would work better there, which his track record doesn't back up at this point. 

Canucks pieces that could fit in easily and help Toronto would probably be Bear, Schenn, maybe Beauvillier with retainment, and possibly Lazar. 

• Like 1

Just let them marinate in the AHL, OP.  There was word that Hoglander was probably too good for Abbey but they kept him down there precisely for the waiver exemption.
If Schenn wants a chance to win I say we trade him at the deadline to them, and perhaps we can get Timmins back with a pick since it looks like he lost waiver eligibility and will cost $1.1 million next year (while they have bigger contracts to re-sign).  

1 hour ago, BarnBurner said:

Not ready to give up on the Hog yet. 

He's got grit, and skill. 

Rathbone? Not so sure. But they're both young guys. 

My theory is since they won't have any prospects for a while, maybe the value of having ones now, and Hoagy has shown he can play in the NHL level.

But I understand if the feelings are we need to add more on our side.

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Since Dubas is clearly in the "win now" mindset. They don't have much left. So let's help take everything!

From Toronto:  (C) Fraser Minten, 2024 4th round pick, 2025 3rd round pick

In Exchange:

Hoglander, and Rathbone

We get a centre, that we can take time to develop into a defensive forward with upside, and picks. Toronto gets players that suit their win now mentality.

Here's the devious part. This puts Toronto up against the contract limit. Hoagy is an RFA and even if he signs with the Leafs. He loses his waiver exempt status.

So Vancouver might even be able to snag him back!

Why trade young assets that are more advanced than Minten?  A guy like Schenn is what TO needs.

Minten has some appearance of more upside than Hogz. Good #'s for the Blazers. I o not read read elite skills or athleticism when u read his bio. 

https://dobberprospects.com/player/fraser-minten/

Do you have more insight?  Hogz is a stud athlete with a very high floor.  Already faster to pucks, pushes bigger guys off them in the corners.  Needs to learn the positioning and slots to drop in to offensively that Horvat learned. But its just upside to capture. He seems a much more guaranteed NHL player to me.

5 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Not ready to give up on the Hog yet. 

He's got grit, and skill. 

Rathbone? Not so sure. But they're both young guys. 

You are correct about Hoglander. It's not a question of skill with him, he just has to keep learning to put all of the pieces together in a complete package. He is almost to the point where he could help the NHL club, but I think it is better for him to hang with Abbotsford and maybe learn what playoffs look like in North America. As for Rathbone, if he can avoid brutal hits from behind into the end boards, he'll be a really good puck moving defenceman. Just not yet.

• Cheers 1