The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Time's up! Finish your last sentence...

AngryElf

2 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Man this OEL contract just sucks so bad. 

No matter how you slice it, a buyout is just so painful. The two seasons where the cap penalty is greatest are also probably the seasons we want to make a serious run in the playoffs - all our core pieces will be in their primes. 

Idk how they work their way out of this one. 

LTIR. 

He clearly has some sort of chronic injury. He can barely skate compared to the years past.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Yeah, he looks like he just doesn't have 'it' anymore; no hustle; no hard-hitting; no hunger.

Hope he has a GREAT GAME tomorrow so somebody gets fooled into taking him off our hands for a small amount of sweeteners.

Feed him Petey!  5 assists for Pettersson and OEL with his best night ever; maybe get him some bananas and coke.

Take a brutal contract back (as long as its term is short); F I Don't Know.

80% coaching, 15% horrible defensive play by the fwd group 

10 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I just dont understand what happened

Last year he seemed pretty solid defensively

This year he just seems always out of position

Injuries and body strain caused by injuries get worse over time to the point where it just becomes impossible to do the stuff that was natural to do before.

Yes, he was pretty good last season but I noticed him hobble when retrieving pucks. There were instances where he got beat on the puck that the forechecker had no business getting.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Yeah, he looks like he just doesn't have 'it' anymore; no hustle; no hard-hitting; no hunger.

Hope he has a GREAT GAME tomorrow so somebody gets fooled into taking him off our hands for a small amount of sweeteners.

Feed him Petey!  5 assists for Pettersson and OEL with his best night ever; maybe get him some bananas and coke.

Take a brutal contract back (as long as its term is short); F I Don't Know.

Is he back already?

As an aside, watching Nashville and Washington pivot as quick as they are...

Makes me wish our management had the balls to do that back in 2012-2015...

The amount of picks Nashville has been able to accumulate in such short amount of time doesn't happen unless you have the self-awareness that success requires patience, even in spite of a Finals appearance not too long ago. 

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Xur said:

No to Pettersson. The penguin fans have been dying to dump him for years. He was the most hit guy in the nhl. Can't do special teams. Cant clear in front of the net. They say he is a 4 million dollar 3rd pairing guy. Penguins have to pay big for us to take him. By the way Rutherford is the one who signed him to the crappy over paid contract.

Well, he will fit right in here then.

It's a foregone conclusion that Marcus Pettersson is coming here if we are trading Boeser to them. A bad (and surplus) contract for another bad contract.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I just dont understand what happened

Last year he seemed pretty solid defensively

This year he just seems always out of position

I don't know how people didn't see it when we made the trade, he was steadily declining before we ever got him. People here tried to blame that decline on the Coyotes but it was pretty obvious that he wasn't worth his contract.  I really hate Benning for not being patient enough to wait out those 3 horrible contracts for 1 more year.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

So then there's no cap savings for van. What's the point?

Shifting fwd assets into defense. I wouldnt be surprised if thats how it plays out. Versus a small retention with a good return but 5m freed up. 

Either way be interesting to see what happens

Just now, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Shifting fwd assets into defense. I wouldnt be surprised if thats how it plays out. Versus a small retention with a good return but 5m freed up. 

Either way be interesting to see what happens

Well MP isn't the guy to do that with, imo.

Oh are we ?

tbh I’m sure we are trying but I doubt anything good happens 

just so use to having poop happen to us 

the still man trade on a bigger scale is what we need like a forsberg/hornquist trade, like a naslund/stojanov…

maybe that’s the kravstov trade but I feel like we need one more move this tdl for things to feel really positive 

Just now, Canucks Curse said:

With J Sullivan’s comments, PITs nuts are in a vice for sure 

need to take advantage of his desperation 

McDonough 

rathbone 

Garland 

for something decent from Pit 

Season 6 Nbc GIF by This Is Us

1 minute ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

The amount of picks Nashville has been able to accumulate in such short amount of time doesn't happen unless you have the self-awareness that success requires patience, even in spite of a Finals appearance not too long ago. 

Washington is a lot like us from 2012-2015. 

Retooling while your core is still performing at a high level is super hard. It's like doing a heart surgery while the patient is awake? (sorry, probably a bad analogy).

Our core players were still good enough to make the playoffs up until 2015 (Sedins were 32, Kesler was 28, and Luongo was 33 in 2012). I see 2014 as an off-year due to the mismatch between Torts' style and the team.

That means we wouldn't have gotten enough top 5 or a top 10 picks needed to draft new core players from 2012-2015 (although it did happen in 2014 but we blew it away). 

Washington will likely face a similar fate as we did. OV and company are still good enough that they will contend and make the playoffs save for a down year like this one. They are still too good to be getting a top 10 pick this season. They will try for a quick retool by trading Orlov or other pieces and then using the draft capital to acquire a good young player to support the existing core but they won't be good enough to get them over the top teams in the East. Likely a 1st round exit at the hands of a younger team as we did in 2015 at the hands of the Flames. And then, things will collapse down and they will suck and eventually, OV and Backstrom will retire and they will have zero young core players. 

If the owner and the management are able to put aside sentiment, they will enter a rebuild. But they recently came out and said that they won't rebuild while OV is active -- sounds very familiar isn't it? 

Very similar to how Linden came out and said they won't rebuild while the Sedins are around.

The main difference is that they got their cup in 2018. We should have gotten ours in 2011 or 2012. That's the only regret. This sucking that followed would have been much more palatable had we won a cup during the Sedin era.

25 minutes ago, Plaguez said:

I don't know how people didn't see it when we made the trade, he was steadily declining before we ever got him. People here tried to blame that decline on the Coyotes but it was pretty obvious that he wasn't worth his contract.  I really hate Benning for not being patient enough to wait out those 3 horrible contracts for 1 more year.

To be fair, consensus around the league at that time was that anyone rescued from ARZ was expected to perform much better elsewhere with improved surrounding talent and purpose.

30 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

They didn't have the pieces or flexibility.  When your best pieces narrow the teams you can deal with down to 1-2, it's hard to get the kinds of deals you're talking about.

They were also fresh off game 7 of the finals, neither Nashville or Washington were anywhere close to that.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

is POJ any good? 

I’d rather it be him coming back than Pettersson. Good numbers and from what I’ve read decent defensively..only 23 and can fit the timeline well.