The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Luke Schenn to Maple Leafs for 2023 3rd-round pick

A depth rental  going for what depth rentals usual go for.

:frantic:

We got something for him a 3rd is better than nothing 

they obviously were waiting for the best offer.

you can only get what someone’s willing to pay. 

a tough stay at home older slower depth rental  dman 

A 3rd sound fair. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, coryberg said:

That literally never happened.

Yeah my bad. I was confused with him being put on waivers several times before we got him..Anaheim and Tampa I believe. My point is, he was waiver fodder not long ago. Now he's  3rd round pick. Not so bad.

Edited by Harold Drunken

43 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

This is the second post you have lumped us all into " this fan base that gets so upset we trade away picks and it's ironic that we don't like receiving them". 

For the last month or so a lot of members of CDC have been hoping to get a pick for Luke. 

Sure there are many of us who hope he comes back home after the end of this season.

Not all no. just a good portion....I hope he comes back too.

I’m not happy with this one. 
I hate the Leafs with a passion. We play them Saturday. Schenn was our toughest player, with character. He wanted to stay here and we pissed him off. Leafs third rounder is almost a fourth rounder. I would have just kept him and signed him as a positive role model for this club. You need guys like Schenn, no matter what stage you’re in. 
And we probably helped the Leafs get out of the first round. I hate that thought.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Slegr said:

I hate the Leafs with a passion. We play them Saturday. Schenn was our toughest player, with character. He wanted to stay here and we pissed him off. Leafs third rounder is almost a fourth rounder. I would have just kept him and signed him as a positive role model for this club. You need guys like Schenn, no matter what stage you’re in. 
And we probably helped the Leafs get out of the first round. I hate that thought.

I feel your pain. But why are we doing these dumb ass moves? do the same owners own more than one team? maybe mutilple teams? 

8 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I was with you until you made that joke!

Opens up another roster spot as well. I think management must be fairly confident they will be able to sign at least one of these dmen out of the NCAA and that they'll jump right onto the team (the fact they can jump right into the NHL with us probably helps with signing them as well).

31 minutes ago, combover said:

A depth rental  going for what depth rentals usual go for.

:frantic:

We got something for him a 3rd is better than nothing 

they obviously were waiting for the best offer.

you can only get what someone’s willing to pay. 

a tough stay at home older slower depth rental  dman 

A 3rd sound fair. 

Schenn is who we could afford... We should have given Myers and/or OEL for a 7th

I love Schenn and he’s a good dude and maybe he would consider coming back in the offseason, but asset management is so important. You have 4 scenarios. 
1. you keep Schenn and he re-signs in the offseason. 
2. you keep Schenn and lose him for nothing in the offseason. 
3. you trade Schenn and get an asset and bring him back in the offseason. 
4. you trade Schenn and get an asset and he doesn’t come back in the offseason. 

Scenarios 1 and 3 are most ideal but for a team who isn’t competing, 3 is your biggest winner if it happens and is a step up from scenario 1, and if not, scenario 4 is what we pulled off and it’s a great option for a team who needs prospects and beats the heck out of scenario 2. 

Regardless of how much you like him, this trade had to happen. 

• There it is 1

I don't see what the big hurry was to unload Schenn today if he only fetched a 3rd (still fair) but I would have waited up until even TDL to see if something better came along..and if nothing, You'd still get at least a 3rd and if not, Just re-sign him.

Edited by Canuck You