The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Predators trade Mikael Granlund to Penguins for 2023 2nd-round pick

6 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I'd consider it a success if we manage to make another deal with a 1st coming back from whichever team while acquiring Hronek.

if they make another deal including any one of boeser, garland or miller for reacquiring picks... its possible.

That way we recoup the 2 first rounders we had and maybe even a 2nd back.

We'll see what happens by the end of friday.

I fell like I'm losing it here and need to take a break.

Boeser or Garland WILL NOT get us anywhere near a 1st. We will be giving up picks just to move them. No one wants them. They are not valuable. Maybe if they were getting paid $3m a piece, but they're not.

Miller WILL NOT get us anywhere near a first. Last year yes, but this year he has a monstrous contract (not a terrible contract) but still huge. We are asking teams to do us a favour if they take him.

Seriously people need to stop thinking our players performing below their pay, on a bottom dwelling team are somehow valuable to playoff bound teams.

5 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Get him for less? I'm sure if they offered a 2nd for Boeser we would have taken it and run. 

Sorry man, Boes hasn't proven anything because his play is trending downward. And in fact he is struggling to even play a complete game. 

As much as people love to overvalue our own players, your way off base.

I promise you, if/when Boes gets traded, we are either retaining salary, or adding a pick, and will be taking back a lesser player.

I don't believe there is a single gm in the league who would trade Boeser for Granlund straight up.  Boeser is scoring as the 18th highest player at his position at even and Granlund is 77th.  Unfortunately the career stats nor season stats back you up.  I am not overvaluing Boeser, i am giving you actual statistics and you keep countering with exaggerated opinions like "way more" and "way" off base.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, JayDangles said:

I fell like I'm losing it here and need to take a break.

Boeser or Garland WILL NOT get us anywhere near a 1st. We will be giving up picks just to move them. No one wants them. They are not valuable. Maybe if they were getting paid $3m a piece, but they're not.

Miller WILL NOT get us anywhere near a first. Last year yes, but this year he has a monstrous contract (not a terrible contract) but still huge. We are asking teams to do us a favour if they take him.

Seriously people need to stop thinking our players performing below their pay, on a bottom dwelling team are somehow valuable to playoff bound teams.

i agree. 

we'll just need to see what happens. 

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson

2 hours ago, -Moose said:

Boeser > Granlund. Pens messed up. 

Granlund likely a better option than Boeser for where Penguins wanted to improve.  Teams aren't built by hoarding talent but also by adding pieces that fit to make their lineup more effective.  Tampa just paid a boatload for a bottom-6 F because they felt he was their missing pieces vs a high end F.  

Granlund more versatile where he can play C and also kill penalties and be out late to protect the lead.  He's not a goal scorer and will pass on an open net but he's smart and works really hard.  He's always on the right side of the puck and has impeccable work ethic where he's been cited by Boudreau and Hynes as the standard they want their players to achieve.  

Before the TDL indication was that Sullivan was concerned with their bottom-6.  Granlund expensive but he can play higher in the lineup.  Maybe this move allows them to create a 3rd line that Sullivan trusts.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Collecting draft picks is only one part of the rebuild.  We already have Petey, Hughes and Demko.  Are Nashville going to get those types of players with all of those picks?  It's not like they have a bunch of top 3 picks coming up.

David Legwand, Scottie Upshall, Scott Hartnell, Brian Finley, Ryan Suter, Colin Wilson, Seth Jones.  Do you know what these players all have in common?  They were all of Nashville's top 10 picks in the draft since their inception.  Do you see any Elias Pettersson or Quinn Hughes in those players?  Good luck to Nashville with all of their picks.  I am happy we already got our star franchise players...

Suter was a legit D1.  Nashville also had more success in the later rounds.  Josi + Saros are still among leagues best.  They also drafted Shea Weber, Pekka Rinne who were considered franchise players.  

17 minutes ago, mll said:

Suter was a legit D1.  Nashville also had more success in the later rounds.  Josi + Saros are still among leagues best.  They also drafted Shea Weber, Pekka Rinne who were considered franchise players.  

None of those players ever led the Nashville Predators to the Stanley Cup.  That is the bottom line and why you play the game...

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

None of those players ever led the Nashville Predators to the Stanley Cup.  That is the bottom line and why you play the game...

Pettersson, Demko and Hughes have yet to.  

Demko has 3 years left on his deal after this season - not sure Vancouver will be in position to win by then.   He'll be 30 when he hits UFA.  Do you give him the Markstrom deal?  

Hughes is UFA in 4 years.  Pettersson has a decision to make next season.  

Nashville finally accepting that they have to re-set.  So now to see what they can do with Trotz as GM.