The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Trade Day Edition

Rate this topic

Warhippy

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

One thing that hasn't been talked about is that the current roster has much more to offer than the previous roster that Benning inherited.

People are saying we did this retool thing under Benning and it didn't work, so it's not going to work now.  The problem with that argument is that Benning inherited a team that basically had nothing.  We didn't have 3-4 star players all entering their prime years.  We had declining assets that needed to be moved or retired.  I made this point many times which is why I defended Benning for many years.  I thank him for his contribution in leaving us with Petey, Hughes and Demko, plus some support players and prospects.  Benning's failure was trades, free agent signings and cap management.  The OEL/Garland deal was the last straw for me and I knew after that debacle he had to go.

Right now, we are in a much different spot than when Benning took over.  We have most of our core pieces already in place.  And they are moving into their prime years.  They are all ready to take the next step and therefore they need the support players to push them over the top.  Collecting draft picks and prospects for the next 3-4 years isn't going to help Petey and Hughes become better players, and certainly isn't going to help them to win more games.  In fact, it will have the opposite effect.  It will drive them right out of town.

Also, I think some people misunderstood what major surgery is.  Major surgery is going in and fixing the main problems of the team and replacing those parts with other parts.  It does not mean to throw the body away and start from scratch.  This I think is the confusing part for some.  And Iike I said earlier, some people also confused the Horvat trade as a sign that we are rebuilding.  When in actual fact the plan the entire time was to use that draft pick to acquire a top 4 RHDman.

The major surgery has begun.  But the body is still intact.  We have the foundational pieces in place to be a winner.  You can have 5-6 top 5 picks in a row and never get a Petey or a Hughes.  If you don't believe me ask Edmonton.  They needed like 4-5 tries plus some luck just to get McDavid.  Who knows, maybe we will get the same luck this year and land Bedard, or one of the other 2 franchise centres.  I think we are due for some good luck.  The signs are all there that this may be the year that it happens.  If it does, then I think we will all be on the same page together...

I did say it.  ;)

We're thinking the exact same way...people think it has to be BOOM everyone out/in/go but miss that it's gradual steps, not a landslide.

It's happening along the way....I pointed out that 16-17 players are gone who were on this roster last year! That's a different roster.

And the guys we've brought in are making a difference. 

You nailed it.

• Cheers 3

35 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It really would have been nice to dump a contract or two.

I feel like we’re gonna spend most of the offseason trying to deal with shedding cap again and miss out on opportunities.

Wait for it….

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I did say it.  ;)

We're thinking the exact same way... people think it has to be BOOM everyone out/in/go but miss that it's gradual steps, not a landslide.

It's happening along the way....I pointed out that 16-17 players are gone who were on this roster last year! That's a different roster.

And the guys we've brought in are making a difference. 

You nailed it.

image.gif.a96ea9c6f62d8cff6ffb27d757cd1b34.gif

:P

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, ey40 said:

People need to remember from Day 1 Rutherford got the job, he never committed to a rebuild, and in his several news conference he reiterated that even the team needs a major surgery, but they are going to do a retool instead of a rebuild. They are going to bring in young players in their mid-20s from other teams. That is their plan all along, nothing more, nothing less, and they stick to that plan in this year trade deadline. That's why I think they did a good job, but I am disappointed as a Canuck fan. Especially after they traded away that conditional pick to Detroit for Flip Hronek. There is no way one could justify this deal one way or the other.

I find it funny people are saying management has no direction, when they've been doing exactly what they said they'd be doing. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

This had to be one of the worst trade deadline day in hockey history. No really big players being moved, only a few minor deals. However, the days leading up to it were great though.

The NHL should move up the trade deadline, around the All-Star break. Players can get accommodated to their new city during the festivities, rather than scrambling to find a place to settle down for 5-6 weeks.

4 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I'm talking about the people in the middle of an all out meltdown...same ones who do it every deadline. Every draft (I remember the "OMG PETTERRRRRSSUN? WHO'S HE? GLASS/VILARDI MAN"). People here are so reactionary. And it's a never ending cycle of complaints that just rinses/repeats. We're always disgruntled.

I feel that drama is just a way of life that some have become accustomed to. I don't disregard some of the concerns and I know that it's worth listening to offers, but they weren't there. It isn't perfect, but it isn't easy.

I also just really get tired of the fact that some equate picks to instant "wins"/upgrades. There are a lot of hits and misses....we sure know that by experience.

You have to build a team with a mix that works. Trial and error and I feel the changes being made are good ones. People act like we're "the same" but we're not. I've given the numbers on that since last year. 

I mean, look at the trades that went down and tell me that it's "easy" to just do a deal. I don't think it is...pool to fish from has lots of lines in it.

I don't disregard the value of picks and prospects and we've been way too lean in those departments. But they're not instant pots of gold (either).

I agree wholeheartedly. 

But, I feel like you used me to vent. 

image.gif.fa6860fa7a1c7128d06bbf93f2703e3b.gif

And, you didn’t even buy me dinner or bring me flowers. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

On that, we can agree. Although I wish that wasn’t the case. We keep doing the same retool thing year after year and expecting different results. No wonder people are frustrated. 

Only thing I will say, though, is that they're not the same "retools" because they're different players. We've had a lot of duds and there's no denying that. But the failures shouldn't be pinned on this "group" as it changes. Give them a bit of a clean slate, especially with (yet another) coach who may bring different results. He seems to be working them hard and implementing some new ways of doing things.

So it may be the same path but it's with different pieces and we do have to consider that and exercise patience that starts with "a new group"...not dating back to old ones. They aren't shiny new toys in the form of picks and prospects that some were so firmly set on, but let's see what unfolds with the "retool". I mean, there are players that haven't even laced them up for us yet...they may bring something new/good to the mix.

Some of the acquisitions we've made recently have me quite happy/optimistic. I see things to be excited about lately. Different players may give us different results.

• Cheers 4

4 minutes ago, shiznak said:

This had to be one of the worst trade deadline day in hockey history. No really big players being moved, only a few minor deals. However, the days leading up to it were great though.

The NHL should move up the trade deadline, around the All-Star break. Players can get accommodated to their new city during the festivities, rather than scrambling to find a place to settle down for 5-6 weeks.

It was a great trade week though. Probably the best I can remember as far as entertainment. 

image.gif.b416b0f97da9669746956723457541b5.gif

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

image.gif.a96ea9c6f62d8cff6ffb27d757cd1b34.gif

:P

I wonder how Roberts " portrayal" of Sgt. Lincoln Osiris would go down today. 

It took me half the movie to work out who he was. 

Me I love it, and get that it is anti- racist.

23 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Only thing I will say, though, is that they're not the same "retools" because they're different players. We've had a lot of duds and there's no denying that. But the failures shouldn't be pinned on this "group" as it changes. Give them a bit of a clean slate, especially with (yet another) coach who may bring different results. He seems to be working them hard and implementing some new ways of doing things.

So it may be the same path but it's with different pieces and we do have to consider that and exercise patience that starts with "a new group"...not dating back to old ones. They aren't shiny new toys in the form of picks and prospects that some were so firmly set on, but let's see what unfolds with the "retool". I mean, there are players that haven't even laced them up for us yet...they may bring something new/good to the mix.

Some of the acquisitions we've made recently have me quite happy/optimistic. I see things to be excited about lately. Different players may give us different results.

Oh I don't know.

New Beau and Vitaly are like shiny new toy's.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I wonder how Roberts " portrayal" of Sgt. Lincoln Osiris would go down today. 

It took me half the movie to work out who he was. 

Me I love it, and get that it is anti- racist.

Seriously? You didn’t know that it was Downey? :lol:

I love that. 

Probably the most tongue in cheek blackface that actually worked. 

Can’t do it today obviously, but that’s the  problem of ‘today’s times’. 

Even obvious non offensive stuff is offensive and everyone in the movie biz is scared. Profits over art on the back of nonsensical fear. 

But I digress. 

• Huggy Bear 1

55 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I think so too.

Then there's that Kuz guy...he's pretty good.

He's the only shining star in JR's galaxy so far.    Hope that Detroit D-Man they overpaid dearly for this week, turns out as well or I'm going to cry after throwing two very high picks away on him in a very deep generational draft year when we could have made significant progress restocking our empty cupboards which 79.38% of Canucks fans were demanding! (per the poll here on CDC)  and several thousand in another similar poll on the Donnie & Dhali show.  No one wants a re-tool except Aqua-Lini  and a tiny minority of 20%

Edited by RU SERIOUS