The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Get Drance some crow

Rate this topic

Timråfan

13 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I unsubbed from the Athletic 6 months ago and told them the main reason was the poor quality and overly negative clickbait of their main Canucks coverage in T Drance. 

Clearly didn't work - but maybe if we all do the same... 

This franchise deserves a better class of coverage. There are too many clickbaity little blow hards like Drance, Patterson etc who love to rile up the twitter hate crew into creating the toxic environment that the Canucks fanbase is becoming both online and in the rink, and has been for some time. 

I mean there are plenty of reasons to be negative right now sure - This franchise is a total mess. But, for it to move forward I feel the reporting and coverage need the same overhaul, that the scouting, development, management, physio, playing staff and DJ !!! need to get us back to winning ways with direction and a future to be positive about. 

That's all fair, but really...

You'd struggle to find enough positive stories to make a living.

This year we had an insane amount of drama surrounding the team, almost all of which was negative.

I'd be interested to see what sort of positive articles you would write about a basement team with a rather bleak short term view.

• Upvote 2

Just now, DSVII said:

What exactly has to happen for him to eat crow? I don't think he's denying that Hronek will be a good player for us.

That Allvin can do what Gillis did and build a great team, and do it in the next two years. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Not really, Athletic and Drance doesn’t make more money of their ads when I put a picture here.

Drance has an account on this forum. While you posting pictures doesn't directly contribute to The Athletic's ad revenue, it creates engagement. Not every person who reads this board will subscribe or even visit their site, but he will 100% notice people talking about his articles. The same happens on Twitter and other social media platforms. As long as people talk about what he writes and says, he will be encouraged to keep doing it since inevitably some of those people will subscribe to The Athletic or visit their site. He also isn't the only one who does this, even members of the national media like Friedman will purposely tailor content towards this fanbase because he knows we'll eat it up every time.

Obviously not saying you're the problem. It's just a product of the business itself. You have the right to believe it's excessively negative, and I honestly agree it's too much sometimes, but they're simply catering to the market. We thrive on drama.

Edited by Brad Marchand
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Bell said:

I imagine there is a huge amount that played at least junior hockey

I'm sure theres a lot of people that would say that.

I can say that I played in the NHL, it doesn't make it true.

Most of the users here are children.

I'm going to assume the likelyhood Drance played hockey is just as high as the general user on CDC. 

5 minutes ago, Bell said:

I imagine there is a fair amount that played at least junior hockey

I would agree. Lots of knowledgeable fans on here. Not so knowledgeable after too many drinks har har

• Cheers 1

It’s easy to point fingers after the game is over. Some people seem to thrive on negativity. Perhaps Drance is one. I think we have a very knowledgeable fan base and after watching lots of hockey, I for one don’t need to read about negative articles. This season’s problems are easily identifiable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattWN. said:

Right! Why would they be negative about a team who went to the Stanley Cup finals just *checks notes* 12 years ago!

32 teams in the league... how many teams has been to the finals the last 12 years?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Oldmanpower said:

It’s easy to point fingers after the game is over. Some people seem to thrive on negativity. Perhaps Drance is one. I think we have a very knowledgeable fan base and after watching lots of hockey, I for one don’t need to read about negative articles. This season’s problems are easily identifiable. 

Yup. It's all pretty clear to see.

That being said, I don't know how many positive articles you'd be able to write about this season.. I'd struggle to come up with more than a handful.

If guys like Drance don't put out content, they don't get paid. 

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

32 teams in the league... how many teams has been to the finals the last 12 years?

I don't know, you could probably google it though.

Check how many teams have averaged a worse record than us during that tenure too. That'd be fun to see.

1 minute ago, MattWN. said:

Yup. It's all pretty clear to see.

That being said, I don't know how many positive articles you'd be able to write about this season.. I'd struggle to come up with more than a handful.

If guys like Drance don't put out content, they don't get paid. 

Agree. It’s tough being the loser but somebody’s gotta do it

• Like 1