The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Kirill Kudryavtsev

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Podz has played over 100 NHL games now so I wouldn’t consider him a prospect anymore.

Again a lot of good support players and bottom 6/depth D players not a whole lot that screams impact player.

He's 21 and has played majority in the AHL this year and hasn't carved out a full time role...that's a prospect in my eyes anyway. 

Edited by Harold Drunken

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No need to compare to Bure.

Kuz is his own player and came into the league 6 years older than Bure with close to 350 professional games under his belt.

Fun energetic player to watch but Bure was electrifying. One of the most exciting players to ever play the game.

I wonder how much banana Bure ate, if that's the key to it all then give the whole team a banana 

• There it is 1

5 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

He's 21 and has played majority in the AHL this year and hasn't carved out a full time role...that's a prospect in my eyes anyway. 

31 games in the NHL and 28 in the AHL this season.

Regardless that’s one player that has top 6 potential.

I’ve seen people dress up our prospect pool before. Right now it’s still pretty poor. That’s the issue with losing so many 1st and 2nd round picks. It’s so much harder to build up high end depth.

We desperately need depth at the Center position and on D and it would be nice to have another top goalie prospect coming up behind Silovs. Hopefully they can solve that in the upcoming draft.

Edited by DeNiro

44 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Could he play this season? 

He's a 19 year old, 7th rounder who's coming from the OHL. It's highly unlikely he see's pro for awhile. I would assume he's back on the OHL next year.

Edited by MeanSeanBean

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

31 games in the NHL and 28 in the AHL this season.

Regardless that’s one player that has top 6 potential.

I’ve seen people dress up our prospect pool before. Right now it’s still pretty poor. That’s the issue with losing so many 1st and 2nd round picks. It’s so much harder to build up high end depth.

We desperately need depth at the Center position and on D and it would be nice to have another top goalie prospect coming up behind Silovs. Hopefully they can solve that in the upcoming draft.

Agree, but players like Raty, Lekkerimaki, Klimovich, Podz don't necessarily get developed to play bottom 6 roles. They are all high skill guys what have been prolific scorers in their careers, they play a skill game and are offensive minded...they will be groomed and likely expected to play top 6 roles. They may start bottom 6 to watch their minutes, but the end goal for those guys would 100% be future top 6 skill guys. I think all of those guys are capable of doing so...that's typically where 1st / 2nd rounds picks like Lerkkerimaki, Podz, Raty, Klim would be drafted to play.

Edited by Harold Drunken

13 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Agree, but players like Raty, Lekkerimaki, Klimovich Karlsson, Podz don't get developed to play bottom 6 roles. They are all high skill guys what have been prolific scorers in their careers, they play a skill game and are offensive minded...they will be groomed and likely expected to play top 6 roles. They may start bottom 6 to watch their minutes, but the end goal for those guys would 100% be future top 6 skill guys. I think all of those guys are capable of doing so...that's typically where 1st rounds picks would be drafted to play.

I disagree about their roles.

I very much think Raty, Klimovich, and Karlsson will be developed to play in the bottom 6. Their size and the sandpaper they play with would make them ideal third liners if they make it.

Podz will be developed with top 6 in mind but his offensive consistency is making him look more like a bottom 6 player right now. When you consider the players taken after him I’ve been pretty disappointed with his offensive development.

Lekkermaki is top 6 or bust and right now he’s trending towards bust. We’ll see if he can get back on track next season though. 

Edited by DeNiro
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I disagree about their roles.

I very much think Raty, Klimovich, and Karlsson will be developed to play in the bottom 6. Their size and the the sandpaper they play with would make them ideal third liners if they make it.

Podz will be developed with top 6 in mind but his offensive constancy is making him look more like a bottom 6 player right now. When you consider the players taken after him after been pretty disappointed with his offensive development.

Lekkermaki is top 6 or bust and right now he’s tending towards bust. We’ll see if he can get back on track next season though. 

Which is why we need to hit on this year's draft 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Pods 

Raty

Hogz

Kravstov

Lekkerimaki

Bloom

Pettersson

Klimovich

Jurmo

Silovs

Rathbone

Kudryavtsev

Karlsson

Mcdonough

Bains

Johansson

We are starting to get some depth in our pool, maybe not any "blue chip" players, but the cupboards are getting stocked bit by bit. It's much brighter than it was a few years ago. There are def. some forwards in there with top 6 potential.

I'll say this much, I'm much happier with how our prospect pool is looking now than I was at this point last year. One of biggest knocks on our drafting recently has been it's inability to find NHLers outside of the first rd, and it seems like we now have quite a few guys trending in the right direction. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1