The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Kirill Kudryavtsev

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Podz has played over 100 NHL games now so I wouldn’t consider him a prospect anymore.

Again a lot of good support players and bottom 6/depth D players not a whole lot that screams impact player.

There is the teams next starter a top six scorer and a top four defenseman in that list. Its not sexy names and the top draft picks but some astute additions could very well pay off in the top half of the lineup.

But you aren't wrong with the majority as depth and potential NHLers which end of the day at least now youngsters are getting a better look here re: Brisebois, Juulsen.

43 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Nobody tell this guy we have one of the weakest prospect pools in the NHL, alongside teams like Tampa and Boston

We are still drafting players, you make it sound like we traded all our picks when we didn't. This year we aren't drafting the 2nd round. But twice in the 3rd and three times in the 4th. We still get a top end prospect with our 1st and we get more of the middle draft prospects. Our situation is hardly as bad as you make it when you say things like "half the fun is watching kids develop." We can and still will. We have one pick per round. Almost as if we didn't trade any picks at all. If we were negative picks IE 6 picks or fewer. I'd agree it's bad form given our prospect pool.

We still have a chance to add more picks too. The draft isn't for like 4 months and we still need to move Boeser and Garland. They won't fetch a mint. But I still argue they are at least worth a C prospect and a 2nd rounder.

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't really understand this though, There was talk about Johansson (22-year old RD) possibly joining the team soon (next season?), but then out of nowhere they signed a 19-year old 7th rounder, but plan to keep him where he is. Geez, does Allvin get a bonus for the number of Russians he signs?

Who said these 2 things are mutually exclusive? Johansson is already signed.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

Nice to see his agent has a sense of humour! 

Also, I wonder why he slipped down to the 7th round.

In any event, he sounds like a promising prospect and it only cost the Canucks a late round draft pick. 

They probably know something that we don't.  Like the Bure draft year....

13 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I knew we had him in the system developing, but I had no idea he was making any kind of strides like this, for a 7th rounder. is he that good? 

Aidan McDonough??? 

7th rounder? Will play once signed this year! So yea probably good?

3 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Nobody tell this guy we have one of the weakest prospect pools in the NHL, alongside teams like Tampa and Boston

That would be a huge concern, if we didn't  have the 3rd youngest NHL team playing. 
Its not ideal.... 

• Cheers 3

13 hours ago, hammertime said:

I like the kid a lot dont really see why he needed to be signed though. That could wait. 

He's on a non-playoff team in the OHL and as a European, he isn't restricted from playing in the AHL. He's big enough (5-11, 200 lbs).  His contract doesn't kick in until July, so some games next year in Abby towards the end of the season or playoffs maybe?

There must be something about having the contract that allows him to take advantage of some of the resources, coaching, training etc that the Canucks can provide and that the Canucks would pay for them.  I remember something about Hughes not coming out to Van post draft to participate in a young guns tournament because there were rules against him accepting a free plane ticket from the Canucks to come out.  That would affect his amateur status, but that's NCAA.  Is Major Junior as strict?

Having said all of this, his development is important and they want to be sure that it is optimized but not rushed.  I don't know if language is an issue or whether he's lonely or dealing with culture shock.  There are certainly plenty of Russians in the Canucks system now from Gonchar, 4 players now with Van (not all are assured of being regulars next season) and Klimovich in Abby.  Allvin is certainly making the club friendly to Russians.  This has to be intentional.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

We are still drafting players, you make it sound like we traded all our picks when we didn't. This year we aren't drafting the 2nd round. But twice in the 3rd and three times in the 4th. We still get a top end prospect with our 1st and we get more of the middle draft prospects. Our situation is hardly as bad as you make it when you say things like "half the fun is watching kids develop." We can and still will. We have one pick per round. Almost as if we didn't trade any picks at all. If we were negative picks IE 6 picks or fewer. I'd agree it's bad form given our prospect pool.

We still have a chance to add more picks too. The draft isn't for like 4 months and we still need to move Boeser and Garland. They won't fetch a mint. But I still argue they are at least worth a C prospect and a 2nd rounder.

We haven't drafted 7 players since 2019.  Doesn't make any sense.  We also have a barebones prospect cupboard.  Who do we have?  Hoglander, Karlsson, and Silovs.  Those are the only three likely to get some playing time on Vancouver next year.  Yes we have other players in the system like Lekkerimaki, Pettersson, Jurmo, and Klimovich... but 7 prospects for a team that never makes the playoffs is pathetic.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

We haven't drafted 7 players since 2019.  Doesn't make any sense.  We also have a barebones prospect cupboard.  Who do we have?  Hoglander, Karlsson, and Silovs.  Those are the only three likely to get some playing time on Vancouver next year.  Yes we have other players in the system like Lekkerimaki, Pettersson, Jurmo, and Klimovich... but 7 prospects for a team that never makes the playoffs is pathetic.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with our prospects over the next 12 months.  

Kirill, Johansson, Jurmo, and Petey 2.0 will lead the way on defense when it comes to potential.  One more NCAA free agent will put a nice touch on that pipeline that also includes 4 other d-men playing in Abby who are 22 or 23 years old.  

Up front we have Raty, Hoglander, Bains, Karlsson, Klimovich, Lekkerimaki, and Forsell...  but adding Josh Bloom was big as he's a different profile then those other guys.  

I feel really good about our direction forward, but it's not the complete rebuild that some people are demanding. 

9 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with our prospects over the next 12 months.  

Kirill, Johansson, Jurmo, and Petey 2.0 will lead the way on defense when it comes to potential.  One more NCAA free agent will put a nice touch on that pipeline that also includes 4 other d-men playing in Abby who are 22 or 23 years old.  

Up front we have Raty, Hoglander, Bains, Karlsson, Klimovich, Lekkerimaki, and Forsell...  but adding Josh Bloom was big as he's a different profile then those other guys.  

I feel really good about our direction forward, but it's not the complete rebuild that some people are demanding. 

I think that prospect pool is still bottom 5 in the league. 

I'm glad we have a couple players with some potential, but when you look around the league, it's still pretty bare. 

If you are only comparing the the Canucks prospect pools of the past, it's amazing. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/10/2023 at 3:26 PM, Provost said:

No brighter at all, much worse.  At least in past years we had high end guys ready to graduate like Petterson, Hughes, Podkolzin, etc.

It is quite likely none of the guys on the list ever crack the top half of a roster and most of them never even make it to the NHL.

A bunch of AHL calibre guys isn’t the same as a couple of high end talents. Every team in the league has a bunch of prospects this level.

This is a terrible take, sorry. 

Hughes and Petey not only made the team their first year, they were immediate impact players. They were never developing prospects in the AHL.

If you think our prospect pool is worse now than a few years ago you have been living under a rock. 

• RoughGame 1

18 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Hughes and Petey not only made the team their first year, they were immediate impact players. They were never developing prospects in the AHL.

If you think our prospect pool is worse now than a few years ago you have been living under a rock. 

In fairness all 3 of those players continues develope in their respective leagues after being drafted. They were all high end prospects. EP developed in Sweden and Hughes stayed a year in college. EP lit up the SHL. They were both high end prospects not playing in the NHL. Podz stayed in Russia until his contract expired. He was also a high end prospect not playing in the NHL. 

We don't have anything like that currently. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • There it is 1

3 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

That is quite a terrible take considering you are lying.  Neither Petterson or Hughes played immediately on the Canucks roster after being drafted.  That is just straight up not true.

Petterson played in Sweden for a year after being drafted, so he was a prospect in the system.

Quinn played in college for a year after being drafted... so yes he was also a prospects.

Our prospect pool that had names like Petterson, Hughes, Demko, Podkolzin, etc was much better before they all graduated to the big club.  There has been a very good player in the prospect pool up until recently.  Now there are none.

You don't have to believe me, our prospect pool ranking was really high compared with other teams back when those guys were part of it.  We now have one of the worst in the NHL according to all the lists made up.  That is especially stunning considering we have been a bottom feeder so long and that generally means getting good draft picks.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Provost said:

That is quite a terrible take considering you are lying.  Neither Petterson or Hughes played immediately on the Canucks roster after being drafted.  That is just straight up not true.

Petterson played in Sweden for a year after being drafted, so he was a prospect in the system.

Quinn played in college for a year after being drafted... so yes he was also a prospects.

Our prospect pool that had names like Petterson, Hughes, Demko, Podkolzin, etc was much better before they all graduated to the big club.  There has been a very good player in the prospect pool up until recently.  Now there are none.

You don't have to believe me, our prospect pool ranking was really high compared with other teams back when those guys were part of it.  We now have one of the worst in the NHL according to all the lists made up.  That is especially stunning considering we have been a bottom feeder so long and that generally means getting good draft picks.

However, there's one thing that is different between us and the other teams at the bottom of the prospects ranking - the average age of the NHL team. We are one of the youngest teams in the NHL because so many of our top prospects graduates to the big club. The other teams at the bottom of the prospect ranking (Boston, Tampa, etc.) are all on the older side of the average age in NHL. All that has to be taken into account, not just pure prospects ranking.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 3/11/2023 at 3:01 PM, MattWN. said:

I think that prospect pool is still bottom 5 in the league. 

I'm glad we have a couple players with some potential, but when you look around the league, it's still pretty bare. 

If you are only comparing the the Canucks prospect pools of the past, it's amazing. 

What are you basing this on?  Is everyone using the Corey Pronman rankings as the de facto authority on the league rankings?  

If so, then I welcome someone to list the middle (16th and 17th) teams and let's compare the prospects between the two franchises and the Canucks.  Might be an interesting exercise.