The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are the Canucks Actually in Cap Hell?

Rate this topic

CanucksJay

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

No, we're not in cap hell at all.  What we are in though is cap limitation.  We could certainly use more flexibility, and that's why JR/PA are looking to unload cap and buyout certain guys.

I think cap flexibility is key. 

If opportune deals for Boeser, Garland or Myers comes up, we should probably take it. 

That doesn't mean we NEED to take it though. 

We're not as desperate as some say we are. 

I don't think we need to retain cap on any of our guys. If we do, I'd say just keep them. 

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I think cap flexibility is key. 

If opportune deals for Boeser, Garland or Myers comes up, we should probably take it. 

That doesn't mean we NEED to take it though. 

We're not as desperate as some say we are. 

I don't think we need to retain cap on any of our guys. If we do, I'd say just keep them. 

If the rumours are true about the NHL cracking down on teams using LTIR contracts to hit the cap floor, a guy like Myers would be a really coveted asset for the bottom teams.  $1M in actual cash owed with a $6M cap hit would be perfect. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, CanuckFan1123 said:

I think there are cap concerns but calling it cap hell is a major overstatement. We won’t have much room to go play in UFA but we have virtually our entire team under contract already with the exception of Dermott, Bear, Burroughs, Wolanin, Juulsen, and Kravtsov. Assuming Martin comes back up next year… I assume Bear stays, Dermott is moved for a pick, and the rest are 1 mil or less to keep. Pearson end Myers are going into their final years and should be easy to unload. The biggest hope is that a cap floor team like Chicago will take back Myers with no retention. Assuming we move one of the rumored Garland or Brock, we end up in a better situation. OEL is our only big question mark at that point. 

I think Pearson and Poolman will be LTIR. 

Myers after bonus is paid costs a team 1m cash. Any cap floor team would love him@ 1m.that's like a 70% discount. It's a no brainer for any team that's not up against the cap. 

OEL is literally the only unmoveable piece without retention. I think he's a keeper for this reason. 

A healthy OEL is a 4.5m defensemen. 

We're overpaying him by 3m

He'll be the one bad contract on this team. No point retaining 3 m to find another 4.5m player

Just pair him with Hronek and hope he regains form by playing with an up and coming star defensemen. 

Schenn looked like a star playing next to Hughes. 

Maybe Hronek can do that for OEL 

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If the rumours are true about the NHL cracking down on teams using LTIR contracts to hit the cap floor, a guy like Myers would be a really coveted asset for the bottom teams.  $1M in actual cash owed with a $6M cap hit would be perfect. 

Exactly. 

Ppl who say we might need to retain on Myers is worrying about nothing. 

He's a no brainer for a cap floor team. 

Like would you rather have Stillman or Myers if they cost virtually the same? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Strawbone said:

More like cap heck. I think they'll be OK.

Alvin seemed pretty upbeat in his last presser when he was asked about cap space for next season, indicating they had options in place for this off-season. I think this management group might just be a competent bunch.

They've hired an amazing amount of people to their front office... I doubt very much they leave anything to chance... 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Exactly. 

Yup. That Myers’ contract will be very attractive to the cap floor teams. They save 5 million on that contract. Plus they can flip Myers at the 2024 TDL for a second or a third rounder. If we want to trade Myers (and clear all his cap without taking any back) this summer we will definitely be able to. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Yup. That Myers’ contract will be very attractive to the cap floor teams. They save 5 million on that contract. Plus they can flip Myers at the 2024 TDL for a second or a third rounder. If we want to trade Myers (and clear all his cap without taking any back) this summer we will definitely be able to. 

Didn't even think about deadline trade for a cap floor team. 

Ofcourse they would trade him and get a 2nd. 

All that for 1m while he plays top4 minutes? Heck yes. 

Such good value

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Exactly. 

Doesn't Myers have a 10 teams NMC ?

Have a feeling most cap floor teams will be own that list?

Just now, CanucksJay said:

Didn't even think about deadline trade for a cap floor team. 

Ofcourse they would trade him and get a 2nd. 

All that for 1m while he plays top4 minutes? Heck yes. 

Such good value

Bye bye Chaos Giraffe. :towel:

for a million bucks keep him for a bottom pairing, save some dough.

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Edited by justathought

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

No, we're not in cap hell at all.  What we are in though is cap limitation.  We could certainly use more flexibility, and that's why JR/PA are looking to unload cap and buyout certain guys.

This exactly. The cap will go up, and we’ll move guys to help make more space as needed. It’s not near as bad as some people are making it out to be. 

• Cheers 1

No, they are not in cap hell.  They will have to get creative to move things around a little, but I think they will be fine.

Garland is going to get into the 50 point range, with most coming 5vs5.  He is certainly tradeable with 3yrs left at under 5.  I think he could be dealt for a 2nd paring LD with similar term and $ left. There are going to be teams that at  heavy on LD that need to open up space for prospects, and may need some help on the middle 6 wings.  

Myers will be tradeable with some retention.  If we get his cap hit to 4, after paying his bonus, he will have a market for sure.

Poolman is most likely done.  Not many guys sit out a year and a half due to head issues and come back.  If I'm correct, we can probably deal this contract.  

Pearson will start on LTIR from the sounds of it.  I'd love to move his deal, but that may be tough.  

I've really liked what this management group has done, and the guys they have targeted.  I'm feeling confident in their ability to have a very productive off season.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Could be. when Does he have to submit his list? 

No sure... tbh... as per cap friendly the player starting July 1 2022 the player to submit a 10 team No Trade list...

Guess the club tells him as soon as the season is over, that they need him to make a list, just in case they decide to move him..

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

With the recent team's success, I looked ahead to next season to see how much cap we need to shed once Kuz and Miller's contract kicks in (additional 7.3m) along with activating Mik from LTIR (4.75) and re-signing Kravstov (1m?)

We would then have 15 forwards under contract at a cap hit of 48.2m

Ofcourse we would waive/send to Abby 2 players making 762k each (1.524) which means we'd have 13 forwards @ 46.7m (without losing /trading anyone and signing Krav to 1m)

On defence, with OEL coming back off LTIR, we'd be at 5 defensemen @ 26. 3m (Hughes, Hronek, OEL, Myers, Brisbois) 

And need to sign/re-sign 2 of Dermott, Bear, Burroughs Juulsen, Wolanin . 

Goalie we have Demko (5m) and need a backup

So to summarize

We're set at forwards (13 players @ 46.7m)

Defense (5 signed  @ 26.3m)

Goalie (1 signed @ 5m)

Thats 78m total. 

Cap is 83.5 next year

We have 5.5 to spend on 2 d men and 1 back up goalie. 

We have options folks. 

On goalie,

we can sign a league min guy to warm the bench and then bring up Silovs every time we need backup to play. 

On defense

We can stay status quo and sign 2 bottom pairing D

or

We can trade Myers after bonus is paid and free up 6m more (11.5m cap space) and spend on someone like Gavrikov  and re-sign 2 bottom pairing d men like Burroughs and Wolanin to round out the defense

Forwards we're pretty set but could trade a guy like Garland to free up 5m and call up Hogz to do the same job. 

Anyway, things don't seem as dire as people seemed to suggest after the Hronek trade. 

I'm starting to believe in this management team after my initial knee jerk hissy fit. 

Questionable moves were Boeser, Miller, Mikheyev, Kuz (re-signing) 

Miller looks now to be a good deal at 8m (physical 2c putting up a PT / game while winning draws and playing good 2 way hockey) 

Kuz is worth every penny

Mik was amazing for us while playing with 1 leg

Boeser is finally playing like a 70-75 PT player. 

Can we at this point say that management has been dead wrong about anything? 

Even the Tocchet hire. 

well said, your eminence!

Yes, just like the last 5 years we're tight up against the cap without the ability to add where necessary to fix the roster properly. That's why you see Pearson's, Poolman's, OEL's. Myer's, Garland's, and Boeser's, scattered through the roster where less but better players would vault us right up there to compete with the top teams.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when it comes to Conor Garland conversation.  

Great play last night to gain the blue line and flip the puck to Aman, who goes to Brisebois.  Then a great one touch, cross ice pass to Kuzmenko who's got an empty net.  

He's driving the offense on the 3rd/4th line right now. He's producing on PP2. 

Why are we talking about dumping him?!?  

He's better then Bjorkstrand, younger, on a cheaper deal.  I'm not trading him for scraps just to get cap space. 

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yes, just like the last 5 years we're tight up against the cap without the ability to add where necessary to fix the roster properly. That's why you see Pearson's, Poolman's, OEL's. Myer's, Garland's, and Boeser's, scattered through the roster where less but better players would vault right up there to compete with the top teams.

We've been fixing gradually though

Since management have come in, we have Kuz, Mik, Aman, Joshua, Beau, Hronek and a much better / complete JT Miller 

This summer Hogz moving up to take Garland or Boeser's spot would be that internal promotion you are speaking of. Podz playing in AHL has been great for him and he is a much better player now as a result. 

We can't expect the fix overnight but when looking at the job this group has done in less than a year and a half, it's actually pretty good. 

All of their questionable moves at the time have turned out to be ok

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1