The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

IIHF bans Russia and Belarus for 2023-24 season

Rate this topic

On 3/22/2023 at 6:18 PM, Sharpshooter said:

Russia illegally invaded and butchered women and children in the most heinous ways imaginable. 

Ukraine didn’t ask for this war and are defending their country, people and right to exist. 

Yes, this is a case of good vs ‘evil’. Not letting the Russians play hockey at an international event is the bare minimum that ought to happen to it nationally as a consequence.

You act like no other country has invaded another one and did not commit war crimes.  You realize every country does it, including the great United States of America.   I’ve seen interviews of America troops admitting to killing children because “they posed a threat to the men”. 

anyways.  This is about hockey, and I feel hockey doesn’t belong in politics therefor all countries should be allowed to play.  Players had nothing to do with what’s going on in Ukraine.   If they are banning the team and players of russia, should Russian born players in the nhl be allowed to play.  Of course they should!  

• Wat 1

41 minutes ago, sassbs said:

You act like no other country has invaded another one and did not commit war crimes.  You realize every country does it, including the great United States of America.   I’ve seen interviews of America troops admitting to killing children because “they posed a threat to the men”. 

anyways.  This is about hockey, and I feel hockey doesn’t belong in politics therefor all countries should be allowed to play.  Players had nothing to do with what’s going on in Ukraine.   If they are banning the team and players of russia, should Russian born players in the nhl be allowed to play.  Of course they should!  

I did?  Citation please. 

“Every country” tries to illegally annex parts and then the whole territory of neighbouring countries while commiting genocide? Please, do tell. 

Thankfully the IIHF doesn’t feel the way you do. 

Terrible attempts at whataboutism and false equivalency and basic if/then logic. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I did?  Citation please. 

“Every country” tries to illegally annex parts and then the whole territory of neighbouring countries while commiting genocide? Please, do tell. 

Thankfully the IIHF doesn’t feel the way you do. 

Terrible attempts at whataboutism and false equivalency and basic if/then logic. 

I said “you act”.     Meaning the way you are going off about all of this this is like Russia is pure evil and the only country that has invaded another.   Lol if they are banning countries like that then America should theoretically be banned permanently in every sport.     

I respect your opinion but if you really want me to spit facts and compare America’s atrocities to Russia’s then I can. But it’s about hockey in this thread. 

Edited by sassbs

1 minute ago, cripplereh said:

So a kid can't ever see his family again? Easy to say but most in life love and want to see their families.Why this is such a difficult situation.

If they don't reject Putin and his Nazi regime, that's part of the consequences.  I'm also not opposed to denying work visas to any Russian athletes.  You wanted the kids to be able to play; I proposed a solution.  A Russian team is simply not an acceptable option.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sassbs said:

One major issue with Russian athletes that did compete in international competitions is the outward display of the 'Z' symbol that for intent and purposes is a symbol of support for this war. 

And really there is no good way to avoid that except banning them as it will be a bigger issue for the organizers if someone sneaked that symbol in. 

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

If they don't reject Putin and his Nazi regime, that's part of the consequences.  I'm also not opposed to denying work visas to any Russian athletes.  You wanted the kids to be able to play; I proposed a solution.  A Russian team is simply not an acceptable option.

Well my grandpa was in WWII and I have friends who's family from from Germany.Like back then it will take way more then saying no or rejecting Putin.My faster in law grew up around that time from a neighboring country that suffered.That is one of the hardest things to do is get someone out of power.Takes years and years.

I am just saying kids with no say should not suffer but I understand why the stance has been made.

20 hours ago, sassbs said:

Yes, it's a double standard; especially if you consider the invasion of Iraq, but that was 20yrs ago when many folks

were still naive about the US government.  I still question the IIHF protecting Canada's 'dirty little secret' though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sassbs said:

I said “you act”.     Meaning the way you are going off about all of this this is like Russia is pure evil and the only country that has invaded another.   Lol if they are banning countries like that then America should theoretically be banned permanently in every sport.     

I respect your opinion but if you really want me to spit facts and compare America’s atrocities to Russia’s then I can. But it’s about hockey in this thread. 

Again, this is blatant whataboutism without acknowledging the actual atrocities committed by Putin and his acolytes. 

Do support what Russia has and is doing is Ukraine? 

Are you educated on the subject of the war crimes committed by Russia in Ukraine? 

Why do you think the majority of the world’s countries have condemned Putin and Russia? 

Has any other leader had a warrant out for their arrest been issued because of their decisions in an illegal war? Do you think Russia’s invasion and continued war are legal or justifiable?

6 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Again, this is blatant whataboutism without acknowledging the actual atrocities committed by Putin and his acolytes. 

Do support what Russia has and is doing is Ukraine? 

Are you educated on the subject of the war crimes committed by Russia in Ukraine? 

Why do you think the majority of the world’s countries have condemned Putin and Russia? 

Has any other leader had a warrant out for their arrest been issued because of their decisions in an illegal war? Do you think Russia’s invasion and continued war are legal or justifiable?

Ukraine was warned not to flirt with the idea of joining nato, if that wasn’t enough they broke the peace agreement by flying unmanned drones into Russian airspace.   They broke the Minsk agreement.  

am I for Russia?  I am for no one.  No one “wins” a war.   Both sides are hurting.  Senseless deaths.    Especially the innocent.    You speak of “illegal war” and “war crimes” and I hate using America as an example but were you this passionate when America invaded Iraq and having a direct involvement in the deaths of 400,000 innocent women, children and men? Were you this passionate about the Afghanistan people when America was directly involved in the deaths of almost 90,000 innocent women children and men?  What about with Israel and Palestine?  Passionate about that conflict?

you hate Russia so much do you have any clue the crimes America committed?  They are the only country that can enter another country, take all their resources by force, rape and pillage and come hone with smiles on their faces because well,…. “America” 

again, I can factual get into details about the real reasons they invaded Iraq, Afghanistan, their involvement with the fall of gaddafi in Libya, their involvement  with Venezuela “bankruptcy”.  

I know everything there is to know about war crimes.  Pls don’t act like Ukraine hasn’t either?  They take refuge in hospitals, apartment buildings and launch attacks from there thinking they are safe. What do you think will happen?    Its rather exhausting how everyone’s ripping into Russia when they cheer on other countries who have done far far worse things than Russia has ever done! 

anyways, I appreciate how passionate you are about all this.  I respect everyone’s opinion and am open minded about any subject.  

• RoughGame 1

49 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I think you’re a Russophile using terrible arguments to defend and excuse Russian actions. 

You’re blaming Ukraine for being attacked by Russia, and then you’re blaming Ukrainians for the bombings of hospitals by bringing wounded people to  tide hospitals to get treated after they’ve already been wounded…and you call it taking refuge??

Ukrainians taking refuge in their own apartments are legitimate targets?? 

I can’t actually believe I’m hearing this nonsense from someone on this Board. 

I hope your post gives many others pause. I hope they get an understanding of what it looks like when brainwashed real people regurgitate Kremlin propaganda. 

The fact that you think the Ukrainians in hospitals and apartment buildings are

legitimate targets, is beyond disconcerting and disappointing. 

Oh my god.  You are not understanding anything that im saying.  It is absolutely pointless to discuss these topics with someone with a fixated train of thought.   I’m not wasting any of my energy on this. All the best 

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

18 hours ago, sassbs said:

Oh my god.  You are not understanding anything that im saying.  It is absolutely pointless to discuss these topics with someone with a fixated train of thought.   I’m not wasting any of my energy on this. All the best 

Well, I am an Ukrainian myself and I am totally understand what  you are saying. You've just repeated a typical ruski propaganda , word by word. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, sassbs said:

Ukraine was warned not to flirt with the idea of joining nato, if that wasn’t enough they broke the peace agreement by flying unmanned drones into Russian airspace.   They broke the Minsk agreement.  

am I for Russia?  I am for no one.  No one “wins” a war.   Both sides are hurting.  Senseless deaths.    Especially the innocent.    You speak of “illegal war” and “war crimes” and I hate using America as an example but were you this passionate when America invaded Iraq and having a direct involvement in the deaths of 400,000 innocent women, children and men? Were you this passionate about the Afghanistan people when America was directly involved in the deaths of almost 90,000 innocent women children and men?  What about with Israel and Palestine?  Passionate about that conflict?

you hate Russia so much do you have any clue the crimes America committed?  They are the only country that can enter another country, take all their resources by force, rape and pillage and come hone with smiles on their faces because well,…. “America” 

again, I can factual get into details about the real reasons they invaded Iraq, Afghanistan, their involvement with the fall of gaddafi in Libya, their involvement  with Venezuela “bankruptcy”.  

I know everything there is to know about war crimes.  Pls don’t act like Ukraine hasn’t either?  They take refuge in hospitals, apartment buildings and launch attacks from there thinking they are safe. What do you think will happen?    Its rather exhausting how everyone’s ripping into Russia when they cheer on other countries who have done far far worse things than Russia has ever done! 

anyways, I appreciate how passionate you are about all this.  I respect everyone’s opinion and am open minded about any subject.  

Sorry friend; you are far from open minded. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Sorry friend; you are far from open minded. 

How? If you show me facts, with anything.   I could say Canucks are this, but if you come at me with Canucks are that…. I’m going to say… my goodness, I had no idea thank you.  My mindset has changed .

so give me facts.   I know for a fact Ukraine has been recorded to killing unarmed, wounded, incapacitated Russian soldiers, the very definition of war crime.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Silent Man said:

Well, I am an Ukrainian myself and I am totally understand what  you are saying. You've just repeated a typical ruski propaganda , word by word. 

How can it be ruski propaganda when every media outlet is for Ukraine.  There is nothing supporting Russia out there.  I’ve come up with my own conclusions, just as I’ve come up with the fact that American government is the most vial scum dictatorship in the world, they just rotate new faces every 4 years.

• Wat 2

26 minutes ago, sassbs said:

How can it be ruski propaganda when every media outlet is for Ukraine.  There is nothing supporting Russia out there.  I’ve come up with my own conclusions, just as I’ve come up with the fact that American government is the most vial scum dictatorship in the world, they just rotate new faces every 4 years.

Because you're spewing the same garbage as Putin and the rest of his Nazi regime.  There's no reason for anyone to make excuses for time Russians or to treat their orcs the same as actual people, but the Ukrainians still do so.  If you actually think the US is worse than the Putin, seek professional help.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Because you're spewing the same garbage as Putin and the rest of his Nazi regime.  There's no reason for anyone to make excuses for time Russians or to treat their orcs the same as actual people, but the Ukrainians still do so.  If you actually think the US is worse than the Putin, seek professional help.

Lmao you really need to figure out the real reasons America invaded Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan and learn the role they played in the fall of Gaddafi and Venezuela’s current financial crises.  

• Wat 1