The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

IIHF bans Russia and Belarus for 2023-24 season

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Right, because they banned the US over Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya and all the others we've lost track of. 

Vietnam?

The IIHF WJC started in 1977. 

Are you suggesting that all national misdeeds be reason enough to keep any country out of international sporting tournaments? 

Or is this just strictly whataboutism, while deflecting the illegal Russian invasion of Ukraine and its subsequent genocide and war crimes? 

Wanted to make sure it was one or the other for you.  

5 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Thing is, you may feel that the players are innocent/not involved or in support of what's taking place. But neither are the Ukrainian children who are being bombed in their homes.

I fully agree with it. 

And I'm sad that some pay the price and have to sit out but there's something more important taking place. People are needlessly dying (being executed is how I see it). Any action to try to stop that is supported by me.

I don't see how sitting out a game played across the planet played by participants who have no say in the matter would change anything. 

Don't confuse my opinion on this with my stance on the war. They're two seperate things. As they should be.

IIHF should ban Canada as well for residential schools. And the US for slavery. And Germany...

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

At this point the Russians dont need anything they can feel national pride over. As much as I hate mixing sports and politics its the right move. Nobody wants a bunch of annoying Russians coming to their host town spewing pro war crap either. 

Can always have the kids play under another team name. Similar to what they did in the Olympics with the OAC (I think that's what it was called).

6 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Can always have the kids play under another team name. Similar to what they did in the Olympics with the OAC (I think that's what it was called).

They could have, but this just seems easier. Hopefully gives some other countries a chance to compete, to help grow the game internationally.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Vietnam?

The IIHF WJC started in 1977. 

Are you suggesting that all national misdeeds be reason enough to keep any country out of international sporting tournaments? 

Or is this just strictly whataboutism, while deflecting the illegal Russian invasion of Ukraine and its subsequent genocide and war crimes? 

Wanted to make sure it was one or the other for you.  

I'm suggesting this move reeks of hypocrisy.  And who the f do you think you are policing every discussion on this board with your hysterical russophobia?

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

46 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I'm suggesting this move reeks of hypocrisy.  And who the f do you think you are policing every discussion on this board with your hysterical russophobia?

You are indeed correct that there is a double standard at play here. We have been all too willing to give the good ol' USA a pass for the atrocities that they have committed while holding other authoritarian states feet to the fire. I did lol over the "hysterical russophobia" line, always good for a laugh with the Russophiles show up intent on making Russia out to be the victim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

I don't see how sitting out a game played across the planet played by participants who have no say in the matter would change anything. 

Don't confuse my opinion on this with my stance on the war. They're two seperate things. As they should be.

IIHF should ban Canada as well for residential schools. And the US for slavery. And Germany...

What did Germany ever do?

• Haha 2

When it comes to team sports there is not a great solution otherwise we can all go the independent athlete route for individuals.

Otherwise we could do something like team Europe and have the best players not represented in the tournament including Russians to form an independent non-national team.

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

It's hard to argue against that, except hopefully we've evolved and have learned something from those horrible atrocities. I never like the examples that are used in an attempt to somehow justify current inaction. Besides, they're in the past but the stuff with Russia is current. We can't rewrite history but we can try to be a better world and learn from it. Showing opposition toward Russia for what they're doing is a show (statement) of support for the Ukraine as well.

Taking action with shows of protest are better than...doing nothing. 

2 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

But you don’t think that Russia(for starters) illegally invaded Ukraine, committed acts of genocide or crimes like targeting civilians, raping and killing kids as young as a few years old, kidnapping other kids back to Russia to become Russian, and slaughtered civilians by the tens of thousands? 

You don’t think that’s deserving of not being recognized or accepted as a participant in an international hockey tournament? 

It’s the hypocrisy of other countries that gets your goat moreso, right? 

3 hours ago, -DLC- said:

It's hard to argue against that, except hopefully we've evolved and have learned something from those horrible atrocities. I never like the examples that are used in an attempt to somehow justify current inaction. Besides, they're in the past but the stuff with Russia is current. We can't rewrite history but we can try to be a better world and learn from it. Showing opposition toward Russia for what they're doing is a show (statement) of support for the Ukraine as well.

Taking action with shows of protest are better than...doing nothing. 

Hypothetical question, would you be okay with booting Russian born players from the NHL?

13 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Most Russians are already brainwashed by Putin.

Hopefully that arrest warrant actually turns into something so he and his American puppet can go down kicking and screaming together.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Pears said:

Hopefully that arrest warrant actually turns into something so he and his American puppet can go down kicking and screaming together.

Highly unlikely. Russia doesn’t recognize the ICC by never having signed on to the treaty called the Rome Statute and also wouldn’t risk having him go to a signatory country. 

It’s mostly symbolic, like not letting Russian hockey players play at the WJHCs. Neither will change how Putin behaves, but the message to stop continues being sent in various ways.