The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Tuesday March 28 2023 - Vancouver Canucks @ St Louis Blues - 5pm PT/8pm ET - St Louis

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

11 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Not sure why Kravtsov is back in, would have liked to see more of McDonough. Joshua deserves the rise and might do really well with the skilled guys the way Mikheyev did so like that move up. Glad Miller, Boes and PDG are still together, they're really growing some chemistry. That third line has been pretty trash to be honest, a few nice skating trips here and there but not generating much offence on their own, they need a shake-up or a healthy scratch. Studnicka and Aman looked decent, like to see what they can bring consistently.

Finally, I'm ready for a bit more Hughes-Myers, it's about time we play our best RD with our best LD and Myers is playing like one. Bear has been weighing Hughes down for a while now. Brisebois and Hronek should be interesting too, Brisebois is a safe pair of hands which will hopefully let Hronek move up in the play a bit more and shoot a bit more freely the way he did in Detroit.

I mean Garland has started each of the last two games by setting up his teammates for grade A chances in the slot. 

6 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I mean Garland has started each of the last two games by setting up his teammates for grade A chances in the slot. 

I get that he's been buzzing around at times, but the fact of the matter is that he's got 2 points in his last 6 games, 40 points in 72 games this year, is nowhere near close to hitting the 20 goal mark which is far more offence-minded than when he once hit 22 goals 3 years ago, and he costs us 5M in cap space.

He doesn't play with fantastic linemates, you are right, but he's got to do better than 13 goals on the year for 5M. Joshua is 2 behind him (probably will catch up with him now he's getting elevated to the top line) and costs a fifth of what Garland does.

If we're looking at where we can cut cap next year, it starts and ends with Garland. Hoglander or Podkolzin can come in and clean up his production for a quarter of the cost combined.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

3 winnipeg wins will end our chances, or 5 winnipeg points.

Math:

Maximum points that Canucks could get = 9 games x 2 = 18 points

Jets ahead by 12 points

Canucks can't catch Jets if they get 6 or more points

Tiebreakers go to Jets on equal points as Canucks are 11 games behind Jets in ROW

Therefore Jets getting more than 5 points (or 3 wins) will eliminate us.

Cheering on each team the Jets play.

• Tanks a lot 1

7 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I get that he's been buzzing around at times, but the fact of the matter is that he's got 2 points in his last 6 games, 40 points in 72 games this year, is nowhere near close to hitting the 20 goal mark which is far more offence-minded than when he once hit 22 goals 3 years ago, and he costs us 5M in cap space.

He doesn't play with fantastic linemates, you are right, but he's got to do better than 13 goals on the year for 5M. Joshua is 2 behind him (probably will catch up with him now he's getting elevated to the top line) and costs a fifth of what Garland does.

If we're looking at where we can cut cap next year, it starts and ends with Garland. Hoglander or Podkolzin can come in and clean up his production for a quarter of the cost combined.

He's 5th on our team in 5 on 5 scoring behind Petey, Kuzmenko, JT, and Brock (I admit Brock was a surprise for me). 

I'd be fine with shipping him out but it would be foolish to think that anyone other then Petey, Kuzmenko, or JT could drive a line like he does. If you give Boeser and Beauvillier two non-driving third line forwards, you'll get very little offensive production from that line.  

For me the order of who I'd wanna move out on wings would be: 

1. Boeser 

2. Beauvillier 

3. Garland 

For you it would be 

1. Garland 

2. Beauvillier

3. Boeser

???? 

I'm very encouraged by Brock's play in the last two weeks. We are finally seeing him do some dynamic cut-backs and play with h confidence. 

Either way, none of those three wingers should be given away for free. Bjorkstrand is older then all of them, making 5.4 million for four years, and got a 3rd and a 4th round pick in return. Boeser still has the possibility of getting a fresh start somewhere else and going off for 30 goals. 

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Knew we were good, but wow not that good defensively. Makes you wonder - if we made the coaching change 10 games earlier, would we be talking about the playoffs now?

The BB firing was an odd one timing-wise, some wanted it earlier, some wanted it later and some not at all. I agree it had to happen at some point, but just like with the Green firing we left it too late. A mid-season firing is always weird. Let's just hope this translates to next season otherwise it's a real waste.

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

Those are wicked stats. BB had the offensive bump as opposed to RT’s more important defensive play. Our team is gonna rock it next year. I say we not only make the playoffs. We dominate a couple rounds. 

I'd be cautiously optimistic, we all thought this after we were consistently a top-10 team with BB for like 50-60 games and then came out like trash this season. I can see how people think the Tocchet coaching bump is more sustainable to the BB bump, but still...I don't trust it until we start next season the way we end this one.

More importantly, who knows how we'll fare in the playoffs. Right now we have a fantastic top line, great 2nd line, but we really need a solid center on the 3rd line who can check. Got a great 4th line though.

Our team defence is great but the personnel need a bit of a shakeup. We're boasting an almost all-AHL defence right now through injuries, in the playoffs we'll need someone sturdy to really help lock it down.

In goal though we've got as good a netminder as anyone.

I'd say we become a very dangerous wild card team or 3rd place in the Pacific for sure.

2 hours ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

This has nothing to do with tonight’s game but I was just looking at my Facebook memories from today in past years and 4 years ago today I drove up to BC to go to a game and I have two important memories pop up from that game.

1. 4 years ago today Quinn Hughes recorded his first NHL point against the Kings, and I was at the game to see it which is so awesome especially since I now consider him my favorite player on the team. 

2. I was sitting one row ahead of and 2 seats to the right in front of a celebrity that was on the jumbo screen at one point at that game that I had never heard of before. I texted my best friend a picture (which I’m attempting to post here) and said “hey I’m in front of some guy that’s apparently in action movies. Never heard of him before but figured you might know who he is. It’s the guy with the popcorn bucket.” I got a reply saying “OMG that’s Anthony Mackie! The Falcon!!! Holy crap dude! How do you not know who he is?!?!?!?” So now I often get made fun of because my buddy posted my picture to Facebook and all of his marvel movie friends constantly give me crap haha. 

Figured it would be fun to share these memories. Side note, I have since seen some of those Marvel movies and am much more aware of Anthony Mackie and his fame now. 

29EFE1C8-FE1C-4BE7-9FE3-4B13CFBE6762.png

New Captain America is actually a Canuck! 

Jokes aside, that's a great story.   I was there for Petey's first game/goal and Boeser's first hatrick, where you just had to laugh.  Nothing beats these memories.  

Edit: I realized that it wasn't the "just had to laugh quote" but the "he got lucky" quote.  I feel like this slip up is acceptable and I hope Boeser is laughing all game.  

Edited by Petey Castiglione