The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Seattle Kraken at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 04, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hope it's just a maintenance day seeing as he's played twice as much hockey as most of our defencemen. Hope we haven't just broke him playing 27 minutes a night of useless hockey. Tone him down a couple of minutes a night and he's got a shot at keeping up his PPG rate, but if he misses the last few games, that Norris nomination goes out the window.

Will be interesting to see Hirose and McWard basically lead our defence though.

Rathbone - Myers

Hirose - Bear

Burroughs - McWard

?

I like Tocchet. But him continuing to play Hughes almost 30 minutes a night in completely meaningless games is a mistake. It’s foolish. The target is in the start on next season. Cut him way back or just sit him. Same with Demko

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hope it's just a maintenance day seeing as he's played twice as much hockey as most of our defencemen. Hope we haven't just broke him playing 27 minutes a night of useless hockey. Tone him down a couple of minutes a night and he's got a shot at keeping up his PPG rate, but if he misses the last few games, that Norris nomination goes out the window.

Will be interesting to see Hirose and McWard basically lead our defence though.

Rathbone - Myers

Hirose - Bear

Burroughs - McWard

?

What does the coaching staff expect. Playing Hughes 25 min+ a night when we are not going to the playoffs. Incredibly stupid.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, You Mad Bro? said:

I like Tocchet. But him continuing to play Hughes almost 30 minutes a night in completely meaningless games is a mistake. It’s foolish. The target is in the start on next season. Cut him way back or just sit him. Same with Demko

Foote deploys the D but I get what youre saying.  Throwing out the youngins to the wolves isnt easy either

38 minutes ago, You Mad Bro? said:

Well the good news was when Hronek was playing he did cut Hughes minutes down. So hopefully next season. But yeah I was concerned about this. Folks on here were going  "oh he'll be fine". No, playing takes wear and tear on your body. And managing his minutes is essential for him to have a long and effective career.

Edited by Ghostsof1915

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Sedins, Burr, Kes, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Luongo I guess Edler was emerging at that point. I do think you're right though 6-7 minimum. 

The 2011 core was older and more experienced than the current core. Sedins (29), Burr (29), Kes (26), Bieksa (29),

Lou (31) and the youngster Edler (24).  Hamhuis (27), Erhoff (28), Samuelson (33) and Malholtra (30) were

brought in by Gillis to support the core.

Just like you have mentioned, when the current group are ready to become contenders, there may be other

core players (like Kes and Edler were)who are still developing prospects right now.  We might even find that

the add-on supporting cast may end up being several Canuck drafted players and not so many trades/UFAs.

This team hasn't even made it to the playoffs yet (don't count the bubble year), so we need to give them time

to develop into a contender.  We need to see how sharp the scalpel is this summer and what sort of trades

can be had.  Also, the draft needs to return at least a couple of promising players.

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Someone please give me a written summary of Toc’s comments. 

Anything on Podz?

Brisebois is week to week, not likely to be back.
Hughes was ill. Expected back.
Old habits creeping back and he needs to put a stop to it.
Likes JT Miller.
Nothing on Podz.

Was at the game. Not a great one overall. Decent 1st period then 2 bad ones to follow. 

Main guys were pretty quiet all night. Petey was alright, but felt like he was lacking support out there. 

The game was lost due to the big players not showing up. 

Was happy for the rookies/new guys that got in.

- Hirose looked alright, skates well and makes good decisions. Just needs more games to settle in. 

- Rathbone didn't look good unfortunately. Made quite a few poor breakout passes and in general not a ton of presence out there. However, he had 1 shift in the offensive zone that was great and he was all over the place making plays and we had a couple chances that shift. 

- McDonough still feels like the guy needs more ice time. I would have like for him to get a game in the top 6 even just for the experience. 

Of course 

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Someone please give me a written summary of Toc’s comments. 

Anything on Podz?

From memory:

Player Commitment: Shouldnt be an issue for professionals even if season is winding down.

Battle level: team is on the lighter side but it needs to be addressed. Summer will be very important to get stronger 

Joshua: better suited with (my boi) Aman

Hirose: good fundamentals

Miller: Been excellent.  Body language not an issue (contrary to VAN media saying so)

Injuries: sucks

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1