The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Arizona Coyotes | Apr. 13, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I won't say it would bother me if it happened, but if I was betting on it, I'd put my money on him finishing out his contract in Vancouver.

Yup by the time we get to the TDL we'll need a RD and unless we can swap him for someone better the logistics may not work. On top of that there may be zero market.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Is that the issue? He looks pretty fit to me. He's not Quinn Hughes fit, but....who is?

The thing is if he wants to play with Petey and score a lot, and in order for the team to succeed he also has to play tough defence so that line can play a lot and handle other teams top players. Otherwise he'll have to play on the third line and as we've seen he's not as good on his own, nor does he generate the same offence.

• There it is 1

2 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

We’re gonna be a good playoff team next year; take everyone by surprise.

if Alvin and the chipmunks can manage to unload OEL contract without a buyout we may contend for a cup in a couple years 

Allvin got a 40 goal scorer for free, got us a top pairing rd, and found a top4 defense man in college for free. 

not to mention mikheyev and new beau 

and we still have our 2023 1st 

might be better gm than Gillis honestly 

we’re literally just missing a 3C and another top-4 defenseman. They’re also going to revamp our bottom 6 a bit and move out slowpokes so fast forecheckers like Hoglander can play a possession game 

If JR/PA can move OEL without a buyout or an absurd overpayment, they should win the best GM award.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

How many players make up your core? For most it’s five. So basically you’re saying we have one core piece. IMHAO we have five elite core pieces (Demko, Hughes, Petey, Miller, Hronek) it’s the supporting cast where we need four more pieces. And those guys are much easier to come by (trade, free agency, draft) than getting the core five. 

I'd put Kuzmenko in that core as well 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Is that the issue? He looks pretty fit to me. He's not Quinn Hughes fit, but....who is?

Going by what Tocchet said.  Something along the lines of the season is a grind, he didn’t have the kind of fitness he should for this level and this would be an important summer for him. 
‘Not unusual for college and Euro players to struggle with the 82 game schedule and all the associated travel. 

• There it is 1

14 hours ago, IBatch said:

You're setting yourself up for disappointment.   Ten team NTC.  And his bonus isn't due to mid September.   

Yes but as I said before, you can try to nullify the ntc by threatening to waive him. Then literally any bottom feeding team can take him. If he clears, you pay out the bonus Sept 15 and waive him again. 

If I was a family man with school aged children, I would rather know where I am moving to sooner than later. No sense not approving a trade in June when the kids are out of school only to hold out and then get waived mid Sept and then end up uprooting your family and moving them to a new school and try buying / renting a house in a new city. School starts mid Aug in the States and early Sept in Canada. 

I would rather do this all in the offseason then scramble in Sept and have absolutely zero say in which team decides to claim me off waivers. 

For example, if Arizona was on my 10 team list, but then I find out I might get waived and Columbus might take me, I would definitely choose Arizona over Colombus. Your still somewhat in control but you have to expand your list. At the end of the day, why would I kick and scream to stay in a city playing for a team that no longer wants me, when I will most likely get waived and end up leaving anyway with a high risk that it'll be a place I might not like. 

12 hours ago, Strawbone said:

He was so bad this year, and if he’s as bad next year I don’t want him anywhere near this team. Literally every bad goal the Canucks let in down the stretch, I waited to see the replay to see who messed up and it was always Myers.

Perhaps he could still play 3rd pair sheltered minutes but for $6m, that’s just not tenable. And maybe, just maybe OEL can come back strong and have a decent season with Myers. They were alright the season before this, and downright good some nights. But hope isn’t much of a strategy…

Agreed

Trading Myers is the perfect example of addition by subtraction. What's frustrating is he has all the tools to be much better. But if playoffs are a real aspiration for this team next year, Myers can't be playing a top 4 D role. He should be 3rd pairing but as you said, you can't have your 5-6D making 6m

15 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Lol we dropped to 3 percent? That's ridiculous. Did we have to play quinn 30 min a night? 

More important to give the STH a few late season wins to convince them to renew. :frantic:

Edited by DrJockitch

7 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

I'd put Kuzmenko in that core as well 

For me the core is still only Petey, Hughes and Demko. Miller is a nice piece if they keep him. Kuz had a stellar rookie season even if he is not a rookie. A single season does not make him core in my books. He has a 2 year deal kicking in. If he repeats his performance next year then he is core. Horenck is kinda like Kuz but he has more of a NHL record so I put him higher up the order towards core status. I have to see him perform to December next year. Nobody else is pushing the core status.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I appreciate the optimism but you just described missing the playoffs in each of the last three years and claimed that each of those years we were better than mediocre.  I would say mediocre might be a compliment.

If this is the new Pettersson and Demko can actually be good before game 30 of the season then they really might be something next year.  But the last three years have been doggy doo.  They were pretty bad before COVID hit them that one year.  They got the Boudreau bump for part of the next year and that translated to literally the worst start in NHL history this year.  Then they went on their usual post-missing-the-playoffs winning streak and...ta-da!

This team has been so bad that the last few years that they were hoping to play their way up to mediocrity but it has two diamonds to build around...and now a few other good pieces and maybe addition by subtraction with Bo's captaincy.  Will next year be the year they finally are better than mediocre?  Could be...

2020-21 is a season that cant be blamed on anyone. That was the one and only season in the history of the NHL where a team was put on pause for a month and finished the regular season while the playoffs were going on.

2021-22

Demko came out slow to start, there was a disconnection between players and coaches and ultimately we fell too far behind, but looking at the positive side (which will always be my focal point) we caught up and for 57 games we consistently won and got results. We missed by 3 wins. I know its all a “what if” but that team was steam rolling and heading into playoffs we would have been on absolute fire. It’s unfortunate we didnt and ultimately that came down to how we started the season. It wasnt an entire season of failure and disappointment. 
Myers and OEL were an elite shut down pair last season and it was well noted around the league how effective they were.

2022-23

Another horrendous start and a crippling PK/goaltending issue basically all season long. Positive note, EP, QH, Kuzmenko, AHL depth and 4th line made an impact and this team didnt fold like a wet towel with an AHL blueline against top teams. This team ultimately is still so young and these past couple seasons have been learning experiences to draw from and take forward to next season and when the going gets tough, these kids are going to find ways to win and get out of a funk a whole lot quicker. We had to find so many ways to try and win this seasons. Last year our goalies found a way, this year when our goalies couldnt, our forwards and D did. Next year I see it all coming together. 

We have no need to panic. These are the years that will shape the character of this team moving forward and we will spend several years competing at a high level and push for a Stanley cup. And hey, another top 15 pick, let that kid marinate for a few years and come up when hes ready to do some damage on an ELC. Its what TBL did, PIT, CHI, BOS etc etc.… Cup winners have had guys on ELCs be the difference makers in the playoffs… these upcoming years will be our opportunity. I have faith and I’m getting 2007-08 Canuck vibes, greatness on the rise.

23 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

2020-21 is a season that cant be blamed on anyone. That was the one and only season in the history of the NHL where a team was put on pause for a month and finished the regular season while the playoffs were going on.

2021-22

Demko came out slow to start, there was a disconnection between players and coaches and ultimately we fell too far behind, but looking at the positive side (which will always be my focal point) we caught up and for 57 games we consistently won and got results. We missed by 3 wins. I know its all a “what if” but that team was steam rolling and heading into playoffs we would have been on absolute fire. It’s unfortunate we didnt and ultimately that came down to how we started the season. It wasnt an entire season of failure and disappointment. 
Myers and OEL were an elite shut down pair last season and it was well noted around the league how effective they were.

2022-23

Another horrendous start and a crippling PK/goaltending issue basically all season long. Positive note, EP, QH, Kuzmenko, AHL depth and 4th line made an impact and this team didnt fold like a wet towel with an AHL blueline against top teams. This team ultimately is still so young and these past couple seasons have been learning experiences to draw from and take forward to next season and when the going gets tough, these kids are going to find ways to win and get out of a funk a whole lot quicker. We had to find so many ways to try and win this seasons. Last year our goalies found a way, this year when our goalies couldnt, our forwards and D did. Next year I see it all coming together. 

We have no need to panic. These are the years that will shape the character of this team moving forward and we will spend several years competing at a high level and push for a Stanley cup. And hey, another top 15 pick, let that kid marinate for a few years and come up when hes ready to do some damage on an ELC. Its what TBL did, PIT, CHI, BOS etc etc.… Cup winners have had guys on ELCs be the difference makers in the playoffs… these upcoming years will be our opportunity. I have faith and I’m getting 2007-08 Canuck vibes, greatness on the rise.

2020-21...  The Canucks weren't going to make the playoffs COVID or otherwise.  They were below .500 and nowhere near the playoff bar when their schedule got paused.  Their record after their schedule resumed was about the same as before the pause.  Their record after the first 17 games of the season was 6-11.  After 26 games it was 9-15-2.  They were terrible.

2021-22...  Gee willickers, god awful out of the gate and already basically eliminated from the playoffs by game 30 again.  Went on a run at the end with the Boudreau bump...looked promising until none of it carried over to the next season and it was in fact the exact opposite.

2022-23...  Gee willickers, god awful out of the gate and already basically eliminated from the playoffs by game 30 AGAIN.  You say the team is ultimately still so young and learning.  Okay but every key player is older than Linden was when he was not only captain but had captained the team to a division title.  I think removing Bo from the room and the captaincy might make a big difference though.  Maybe we can skip the pooping their pants for 30 games and getting the coach fired as the beginning ritual for next season.

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Yes but as I said before, you can try to nullify the ntc by threatening to waive him. Then literally any bottom feeding team can take him. If he clears, you pay out the bonus Sept 15 and waive him again. 

If I was a family man with school aged children, I would rather know where I am moving to sooner than later. No sense not approving a trade in June when the kids are out of school only to hold out and then get waived mid Sept and then end up uprooting your family and moving them to a new school and try buying / renting a house in a new city. School starts mid Aug in the States and early Sept in Canada. 

I would rather do this all in the offseason then scramble in Sept and have absolutely zero say in which team decides to claim me off waivers. 

For example, if Arizona was on my 10 team list, but then I find out I might get waived and Columbus might take me, I would definitely choose Arizona over Colombus. Your still somewhat in control but you have to expand your list. At the end of the day, why would I kick and scream to stay in a city playing for a team that no longer wants me, when I will most likely get waived and end up leaving anyway with a high risk that it'll be a place I might not like. 

That's great in theory but I don't see them waiving a 6 mil, 13 year vet, his family, and threatening his job. It would be nice tbh but our organization isn't known for that and I don't think they want to start treating players like that. Also, if we're shopping him to a bottom feeder anyway this theory makes no sense. Like @IBatch said don't get your hopes up. I personally would be ecstatic.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

2021-22

2022-23

Excuse GIF by MOODMAN