The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Arizona Coyotes | Apr. 13, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I wanted a tear down and rebuild but I have changed my tune watching Hughes, EP, JT, and Demko. The future is now weather we like it or not, weather we want it or not. Just gotta hope the right moves are made because ready or not, our star core is here now.

Perhaps this is what management believes in and try to make the moves that need to be made. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

They'll have a deal in play, if they don't land Bedard or 2nd overall or if their top guys on their list is gone then they'll make a deal. Or they just go ahead and pick BPA

Canucks are in a win now mode.  Drafting BPA won’t help them make the playoffs next year.  Canucks barely beating Arizona in a nothing game shows that.

I just hope it’s not a OEL fiasco again.

Edited by BPA
  • Cheers 1

Realistically, the Canucks could go into next season with a similar forward group, although they'll need to shed cap at some point for Petey's next contract. Scoring wasn't much of an issue this year so I'm okay with that, but hopefully chaos giraffe is gone and we can bring in someone better to partner up with Hughes. My guess is management will look for a trading partner for Boeser or Garland so we can sign a good 3C.

Mikheyev-Pettersson-Kuzmenko

Beauvillier-Miller-Garland / Boeser

Podkolzin-______-Kravtsov

Joshua-Aman-Di Giuseppe

Dries / Hoglander

Hughes-______

OEL-Hronek

Hirose-Bear

Burroughs

Demko

Silovs

Possible signings: Schenn, Gavrikov, Barbashev, Monahan (wouldn't mind him on a cheap contract), 

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

Canucks are in a win now mode.  Drafting BPA won’t help them make the playoffs next year.  Canucks barely beating Arizona in a nothing game shows that.

Agree although tbh last game of the season, team going nowhere, and after being up 4-1 the players looked as if they were studying holiday brochures... wouldn't put too much into yesterdays play...

But yes god help us if the LE going to OEL fiasco continues into another of Titanics ankers....

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, rekker said:

I wanted a tear down and rebuild but I have changed my tune watching Hughes, EP, JT, and Demko. The future is now weather we like it or not, weather we want it or not. Just gotta hope the right moves are made because ready or not, our star core is here now.

I never wanted a full tear down just more reasonable spending, a cap reset, and an eye to building with the future, present, and longevity in mind. However, I've decided I'm going to try to be more positive as it seems a portion of cdc gets really annoyed when people are critical and realistic..

Could contain: Helmet, Hardhat, People, Person, Crash Helmet, Adult, Male, Man, Hat, Playing American Football

Okay, starting now. :lol: The margins are super tight but on the upside we could be competitive with a couple shrewd moves. One quality RD added to Hronek would shore up the defence quite a bit. How they shed cap and add that player is hopefully something management can swing. A real 3C is also needed and a backup goalie. We're all in so like you I'm hoping for the best. I am quite interested how they go about the off-season so that's something to look forward to.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I thought Honzek was a winger?  He's interesting, but most have him rated mid-late first and that might be a bit of a gamble when there's more dynamic players at #11

He's really intriguing. Could end up being a steal. Lots to like as he's got the size, plays heavy, and started putting up some good point totals as the season progressed. Agreed though it's a reach for sure.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Agree although tbh last game of the season, team going nowhere, and after being up 4-1 the players looked as if they were studying holiday brochures... wouldn't put too much into yesterdays play...

But yes god help us if the LE going to OEL fiasco continues into another of Titanics ankers....

Lol…

Canucks trade 1st + Myers + Hogz to CHI for Seth Jones (no retention).

:sick:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, coho8888 said:

Pretty good assessment.

PDG is also at a Salary of 775K for the next two years.  You need guys that provide that kind of value while offsetting your high priced players

Wonder if Arizona would take Garland back while giving us something of value?  

Burroughs to me is like a Stecher with slightly less offense but tons more grit.

I like Hirose's smarts and smooth skating but you are correct.  Our defense as it stands is too small (Myers will not be here next year we hope).  He is about as tall as Hughes is but less bulky.  He needs to add weight to his small frame but the problem is that he is no longer 19 or 20 which makes it less likely that he could do that.  Yes we need to get one of Gavrikov or Graves (if we can clear cap).

Delia's inability to control his rebounds is his undoing.  He also can't control his side to side movements very well and on at least one of the goals, he slid himself out of position.  I doubt that he will be resigned.

Totally agree on the defensive assessment.  As much as I may sound like a Homer on here, I am still not convinced that we are a playoff team just yet.  Much needs to be done, and if it is not, then I will hop on to the doom and gloom train like some others on here.

Spot on. Our big holes this off season are 3rd line checking center, defensive defenceman (LD or RD, doesn't matter) and then cap flexibility.

If there's a Garland trade with anyone you make it, but I wonder if we can just give him back for a 3C like Boyd or even better McBain. They've got a boat-load of cap space and if they want a veteran defenceman to help groom their kids, we could dangle Myers their way? Obviously that would be a pipe dream for Canucks fans (Myers + Garland for Boyd) but we'd probably have to shed something quite decent futures-wise. I'd give up Rathbone or a 3rd and 4th to make it happen. Arizona are stock-piling picks in a big way, if they want more they can have a 3rd + 4th to take 11M off our hands and give us a familiar face and tough 3C back. Obviously with that cap space we can splurge 5-6M on Gavrikov (heck we could even sign Mayfield but that's being a bit cheeky) and away we go:

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

PDG - Miller - Boeser

Beauvillier - Boyd - Hoglander

Joshua - Aman - Studnicka

Gavrikov - Hronek

Hughes - Bear

OEL - Burroughs

Still don't like Bear at 2RD but that's a much nicer balanced team than what we have right now.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I never wanted a full tear down just more reasonable spending, a cap reset, and an eye to building with the future, present, and longevity in mind. However, I've decided I'm going to try to be more positive as it seems a portion of cdc gets really annoyed when people are critical and realistic..

Could contain: Helmet, Hardhat, People, Person, Crash Helmet, Adult, Male, Man, Hat, Playing American Football

Okay, starting now. :lol: The margins are super tight but on the upside we could be competitive with a couple shrewd moves. One quality RD added to Hronek would shore up the defence quite a bit. How they shed cap and add that player is hopefully something management can swing. A real 3C is also needed and a backup goalie. We're all in so like you I'm hoping for the best. I am quite interested how they go about the off-season so that's something to look forward to.

He's really intriguing. Could end up being a steal. Lot's to like as he's got the size, plays heavy, and started putting up some good point totals as the season progressed. Agreed though it's a reach for sure.

I hear you. I was livid with the Hronek trade but once I thought on it, watched him, I realized that first is a ticket that means nothing when added to this current core. I wouldn't even be against trading next years first if it meant the right quality move for a dman. The time is now. We have some of the best players in franchise history on this team and management will need to figure on how to change the surrounding cast. Allvin has shown an ability to build a quality bottom six in Pittsburgh and it's coming to fruition here. The bottom six is looking good and even the depth is building there. To me, lose Myers, and one of Boeser, AB, Garland and use the cap wisely. OEL? Ugg. I'm sure Tocchet will have a nice talk with him about conditioning and expectations. If OEL falls short coming into camp next year it will be a long season for the vet. 

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, John McClane said:

1st time running the simulator, after the Canucks landed in 11th. Maybe it’s lucky number 11??? If only it could really happen. 

Could contain: Page, Text

I've run the Sim ten times, finished 11th everytime. Even had that look Linden had at the first lottery, lol.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Pretty good assessment.

PDG is also at a Salary of 775K for the next two years.  You need guys that provide that kind of value while offsetting your high priced players

Wonder if Arizona would take Garland back while giving us something of value?  

Burroughs to me is like a Stecher with slightly less offense but tons more grit.

I like Hirose's smarts and smooth skating but you are correct.  Our defense as it stands is too small (Myers will not be here next year we hope).  He is about as tall as Hughes is but less bulky.  He needs to add weight to his small frame but the problem is that he is no longer 19 or 20 which makes it less likely that he could do that.  Yes we need to get one of Gavrikov or Graves (if we can clear cap).

Delia's inability to control his rebounds is his undoing.  He also can't control his side to side movements very well and on at least one of the goals, he slid himself out of position.  I doubt that he will be resigned.

Totally agree on the defensive assessment.  As much as I may sound like a Homer on here, I am still not convinced that we are a playoff team just yet.  Much needs to be done, and if it is not, then I will hop on to the doom and gloom train like some others on here.

Seeing us blow all these leads makes me think we have a lot of work to do as well. Hiroshi had a tough game. So did Myers. Didn't matter who he was paired with, (-1 with Hughes or - 2 with Hiroshi). Guy was on the ice for 3  goals against vs a very crappy team and only grabbed a +1 when he jumped on for 2 seconds for Peteys goal. 

I dunno if it's bad luck or just poor play. 

On his first goal against, he made the right play initially when Hiroshi turned the puck over and aggressively challenged the forward on the shot. Delia let out a poor rebound and Myers missed it as he swept at the puck as he skated right by it beside/behind the net. That's 3 different players with errors there. (Hiroshi, Delia and Myers) 

On his other goal against, he followed his guy (O'Brien) behind the net,made a hit but then o'Brien slipped into the high slot and tipped the puck in while Myers stayed deep and was standing beside Hiroshi who was already engaged in a battle with Mcbain in front of the net. 

Tough call here also because many of Myers problems we see is him running around chasing guys and losing his position on the ice whereas this time, he didn't chase the guy into the high slot but he was also the only guy not taken as every other player was engaged with an Arizona player.  

3rd goal against was on Miller and Myers was just a casualty along with the rest of the players. Miller was standing around not knowing who to take when he should have taken Schmaltz. Myers was already engaged in a battle in front of the net. 

Basically what this boils down to is our players needing better coaching on who to take and what is their responsibility in their own zone. Much like the stop start whistle drill that RT did. Looks like they need more of that. 

How much would Hronek have improved the situation? Maybe cleared the puck instead of missing it on the first goal? Maybe making the right read and taking obrien on that other goal? 

If Hronek played, that might have saved 2 goals. 

I really do think we need 1 more solid top 4D on top of Hughes and Hronek. OEL due to his immoveability will probably be hroneks partner. Myers is as good as gone. He needs to be if the goal is to make the playoffs next season.  He's making too much to be on the 3rd pairing. 

Its clear

The Canucks are not a playoff team if Myers is in the top 4. We can't replace him in the top 4 if he isn't traded. So knowing the brass wants to make the playoffs, I can't see how he would still be here next season. 

8 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I don't think I'll tune in. 

Looking back, it's been a pretty big disappointment when looking at the overall picture. 

Bottoming out at 5th from the bottom only to rise all the way to 11th has been pretty brutal.  

I knew we weren't going to stay at 5th, but 7th-8th was perfectly within reason and reach. 

At 11th overall, we are going to miss out on the big 4, then miss out on the best D-man, and miss out on the 1 or 2 players that fall through the cracks. 

from our last night's game 82 roster, I'm not expecting to see any of these guys in the opening line-up next year:  

Boeser   Garland   Dries   McDonough   Kuzmenko   Studnicka   Hirose   Bear   McWard   Myers   Delia   Beauvillier

For differing reasons, that's 12 players gotta go - some just to help to carry others out.

But, does Alvin already have deal options-in-waiting from those intense TDL negotiations?  He seems quite a canny operator.

Once our lottery hopes are officially dead, will we trade our 1st pick for more NHL-ready help on our D, given that we appear to

have cornered ourselves into a 'win-now' management time-frame?

• Wat 2

2 minutes ago, Mo Grit said:

from our last night's game 82 roster, I'm not expecting to see any of these guys in the opening line-up next year:  

Boeser   Garland   Dries   McDonough   Kuzmenko   Studnicka   Hirose   Bear   McWard   Myers   Delia   Beauvillier

For differing reasons, that's 12 players gotta go - some just to help to carry others out.

But, does Alvin already have deal options-in-waiting from those intense TDL negotiations?  He seems quite a canny operator.

Once our lottery hopes are officially dead, will we trade our 1st pick for more NHL-ready help on our D, given that we appear to

have cornered ourselves into a 'win-now' management time-frame?

I think Kuz is here? 

They wouldn't have signed him to trade him. He's part of the supporting cast for the core (Demko, Petey Hughes). Supporting cast being guys like Miller, Kuz, Hronek 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BPA said:

What do you mean in a “win now” mode?

We are far from the end of EP and QH prime years…. We have plenty of time to win. Win now is when we are at the end of their prime and running out of time

53 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Spot on. Our big holes this off season are 3rd line checking center, defensive defenceman (LD or RD, doesn't matter) and then cap flexibility.

If there's a Garland trade with anyone you make it, but I wonder if we can just give him back for a 3C like Boyd or even better McBain. They've got a boat-load of cap space and if they want a veteran defenceman to help groom their kids, we could dangle Myers their way? Obviously that would be a pipe dream for Canucks fans (Myers + Garland for Boyd) but we'd probably have to shed something quite decent futures-wise. I'd give up Rathbone or a 3rd and 4th to make it happen. Arizona are stock-piling picks in a big way, if they want more they can have a 3rd + 4th to take 11M off our hands and give us a familiar face and tough 3C back. Obviously with that cap space we can splurge 5-6M on Gavrikov (heck we could even sign Mayfield but that's being a bit cheeky) and away we go:

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

PDG - Miller - Boeser

Beauvillier - Boyd - Hoglander

Joshua - Aman - Studnicka

Gavrikov - Hronek

Hughes - Bear

OEL - Burroughs

Still don't like Bear at 2RD but that's a much nicer balanced team than what we have right now.

Agreed on Bear I don't like him at all. I think management is trying to re-sign him but that leaves us with a poor defence once again if we can't improve at that spot. He's Myers level bad just not as big. He doesn't take countless needless penalties though. I wouldn't mind having him as a bench support but if he's starting we're in trouble. I would start Johannsen or McWard before him.

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Haha, I am not a GM so I should learn by reading the posts of more non GMs. Am I posting on a fan site or a GM site, I forget. 
I have been pretty consistent here in saying which decisions I have liked and disliked, not going to rehash a year of comments. 
‘They have put themselves in a position where our window is fairly short, probably 3-4 years at best before JTM loses a significant step.  That is our contention window. 
We are capped out.  Just assuming an OEL buyout and a miraculous trade of Myers is insane. So those 2 are blocking cap and taking minutes away from a rebuilding D. We still need a third line centre, and probably 2 top 4 D and I kind of agree with the commentators, they haven’t really found a winger for JTM.  We could also use a bit more experienced backup goalie as Demko’s health is a chronic concern.  Oh and don’t forget after next year we need to have about $20M in cap space for EP and Hronek. 
That is the list that needs to be fill to truly be a competitive team in the window where JT is a reasonable option as second line centre. Not sure Raty will be ready to take over that role by then.  We may see some internal development but Lekkerimaki is a long way away. Podz and Hogz are developing but Podz had a fairly quiet year. 
I just think they had opportunities they squandered through the year and have pushed themselves into a short contention window and so will gamble big to win now. 

Well stated. Building for longevity doesn't mean a full rebuild. I also wanted to trade JT for the obvious reasons you've listed and the short all in contention window it creates. Having said that JT rebounded nicely after a rocky start and if he keeps his play up he's a very strong player who adds lots of offence and definitely could contribute to a winning team. The team needs a lot of stuff to play out though as you've mentioned. One positive is that this management group has been getting better as they go. I have some belief they will be at least able to get us close. My concern is it will only be for next year before the bills are due.

• Cheers 2