The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Arizona Coyotes | Apr. 13, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I don't know.... I think Myers is as good as gone. 1m cash for a vet 5D while hitting cap floor on a cash strapped team? Yes please. 

You're setting yourself up for disappointment.   Ten team NTC.  And his bonus isn't due to mid September.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

3 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Okay lets face some facts

2020-21 - hands down worst scheduling, 19 games in 30 days to finish the season after 1 month long layoff due to COVID running rampant through the locker room. The one and only team to be affected in such a way. 
not only 19 games in 30 days to finish the  season, but 18 games in 30 days to start.

Pettersson was shut down for the remainder of the season. Missed playoffs by 5 wins through all of that.

Does that sound like mediocrity in 2020-21 or does that sound like hell and an uphill battle? Is that really on the team? No.

2021-22 

Missed playoffs by 3 wins

Poor PK, Demko had a slow start, after a 8-15-2 start and a coaching change, Vancouver was one of the best teams over the course of the next 57 games, barely missing playoffs, needing only 3 more wins.

Mediocrity? I wouldnt say so, just a poor start. Over 2/3 of the season they were an elite team.

2022-23

Demko piss poor start again. Worst PK in history for the 2nd season in a row, mainly due to goaltending. Early December Demko goes down, Martin takes the net, Delia is back up, neither goalie able to stop a beach ball. Team scoring at a high rate, but bleeding goals due to horrendous goaltending. Top 10 PP for most of the season and the Blue line depleted…

Coaching change, team once again winning a high rate, PP still producing, PK 85% under new coaching staff. Team has not stopped scoring since game 1. Despite the horrific goaltending, PK and injury bug, missed playoffs by 13pts, 7 wins.

Mediocre? I dont think so. We clearly can score with the best of them. Our PP is solid. 
PK struggled and that was largely due to goaltending. If goaltending showed up on time to play, this team is a playoff team last year and this year. Not much could be done about the 20-21 season with COVID destroying us and the intense scheduling to follow the footsteps of COVIDs destruction.

Mediocre teams are teams without stars, teams without goaltending, teams that struggle to score each and every night. This team CAN score, this team HAS stars and next season we will find out if we have an elite goalie or if Demko will forever be a slow starter. But I believe in Demko and that he will start off on both feet next season. 

If this team can put it all together, goaltending sharp out of the gates, effective PK, PP doing its thing and our stars doing what they have done all season…. This team has the potential to be an absolute force.

Think of this… between the start of the season and the day OEL went down, our goalies combined for pretty much -50GSAA. Fifty f***ing goals that everyone else is stopping… Hard for your team to win with numbers like that and its easy to make your defence look bad when they are constantly digging the puck out of the net on so many low danger shots or saveable shots around the league.

Not only that, but locking up EP ASAP before the cap rises, will allow soooo much more room for good players in a few years. The timing of this cap freeze has forced some of our stars to take what they can get and over the next 7years they will be playing well above their cap hit. This could all pay off big time for us in a few years.

I appreciate the optimism but you just described missing the playoffs in each of the last three years and claimed that each of those years we were better than mediocre.  I would say mediocre might be a compliment.

If this is the new Pettersson and Demko can actually be good before game 30 of the season then they really might be something next year.  But the last three years have been doggy doo.  They were pretty bad before COVID hit them that one year.  They got the Boudreau bump for part of the next year and that translated to literally the worst start in NHL history this year.  Then they went on their usual post-missing-the-playoffs winning streak and...ta-da!

This team has been so bad that the last few years that they were hoping to play their way up to mediocrity but it has two diamonds to build around...and now a few other good pieces and maybe addition by subtraction with Bo's captaincy.  Will next year be the year they finally are better than mediocre?  Could be...

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

With Tocchet and Kuzmenko I think it's a case of cutting off one's nose to spite their face.  What did having Di Giuseppe on the #1 PP replacing Kuzmenko prove?  Other than killing a milestone which Kuzmenko could have had 40.  Kuzmenko is one of a very few bright spots the Canucks had all season.  To be so small and petty isn't a good look for Tocchet.  If the game had gone into a shootout who's Tocchet's first choice?  He'd call on Kuz for the shootout for sure but not on the PP because Tocchet wants to send a message?  Left a bad taste in my mouth considering it's against the Coyotes in a mean nothing game.   Mean Spirited 

Edited by Pure961089

38 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

We'll be lucky to stay at 11. 

Knowing our luck, it will be Blues getting the top pick and Flames getting number 5.  Hopefully JR and PA can work on some trades and new personnel in the next few weeks. I think that after the last 2 months of good play and the opposition, probably looking at the Canucks just outside the playoff bubble right now but certainly a lot more competitive than last Fall.

Level reminds be a bit of the 2020 season during the bubble and play-in. Also,  I wonder if the NHL and Bettman (since he has strong ties to the NBA) will revamp the playoffs to make it more competitive in the future - top 6 (3 from each division) conference make the playoffs directly with 4 additional teams doing a play-in for the additional 2 spots, just like NBA.

43 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

With Tocchet and Kuzmenko I think it's a case of cutting off one's nose to spite their face.  What did having Di Giuseppe on the #1 PP replacing Kuzmenko prove?  Other than killing a milestone which Kuzmenko could have had 40.  Kuzmenko is one of a very few bright spots the Canucks had all season.  To be so small and petty isn't a good look for Tocchet.  If the game had gone into a shootout who's Tocchet's first choice?  He'd call on Kuz for the shootout for sure but not on the PP because Tocchet wants to send a message?  Left a bad taste in my mouth considering it's against the Coyotes in a mean nothing game.   Mean Spirited 

I don't care for it either, but I don't think it's due toTocc being 'mean spirited'.  I see Tocc as being 'old school'.  He was

a 6th round draft pick and worked his way into becoming a tough as nails power forward that could score.

Problem is, I don't think that style works too well with a different generation of players. Kuze is an important

player on our team, so I would think that if it becomes a problem, PA would step in to sort it out.

9 minutes ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

Knowing our luck, it will be Blues getting the top pick and Flames getting number 5.  Hopefully JR and PA can work on some trades and new personnel in the next few weeks. I think that after the last 2 months of good play and the opposition, probably looking at the Canucks just outside the playoff bubble right now but certainly a lot more competitive than last Fall.

Level reminds be a bit of the 2020 season during the bubble and play-in. Also,  I wonder if the NHL and Bettman (since he has strong ties to the NBA) will revamp the playoffs to make it more competitive in the future - top 6 (3 from each division) conference make the playoffs directly with 4 additional teams doing a play-in for the additional 2 spots, just like NBA.

That's a nightmare scenario.

2 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

I don’t know I have a hard time seeing him here past the deadline.

He was so bad this year, and if he’s as bad next year I don’t want him anywhere near this team. Literally every bad goal the Canucks let in down the stretch, I waited to see the replay to see who messed up and it was always Myers.

Perhaps he could still play 3rd pair sheltered minutes but for $6m, that’s just not tenable. And maybe, just maybe OEL can come back strong and have a decent season with Myers. They were alright the season before this, and downright good some nights. But hope isn’t much of a strategy…

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Strawbone said:

He was so bad this year, and if he’s as bad next year I don’t want him anywhere near this team. Literally every bad goal the Canucks let in down the stretch, I waited to see the replay to see who messed up and it was always Myers.

Perhaps he could still play 3rd pair sheltered minutes but for $6m, that’s just not tenable. And maybe, just maybe OEL can come back strong and have a decent season with Myers. They were alright the season before this, and downright good some nights. But hope isn’t much of a strategy…

Yeah I can’t imagine him being here to start the season…I really think he is one big fish to fry!

39 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I don't care for it either, but I don't think it's due toTocc being 'mean spirited'.  I see Tocc as being 'old school'.  He was

a 6th round draft pick and worked his way into becoming a tough as nails power forward that could score.

Problem is, I don't think that style works too well with a different generation of players. Kuze is an important

player on our team, so I would think that if it becomes a problem, PA would step in to sort it out.

I think what Tocchet tried to say was that he wasn’t really in NHL shape and he couldn’t really handle the minutes. 
NHL is a grind, especially for a west coast team. His fitness should improve. 

7 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I think what Tocchet tried to say was that he wasn’t really in NHL shape and he couldn’t really handle the minutes. 
NHL is a grind, especially for a west coast team. His fitness should improve. 

Is that the issue? He looks pretty fit to me. He's not Quinn Hughes fit, but....who is?