The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 Canucks end of season media availability

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

Disagree, there will be multiple teams interested in adding him at the tdl for a playoff run, imo. 

Probably true but if we're in a playoff spot he's probably a starter for us so we'd have to find a replacement at the same time. Not impossible by any means but it's a little tricky in that we ideally replace him with a better player for less money. A couple moving parts there as you definitely don't want to take parts away from the team.

• There it is 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Disagree, there will be multiple teams interested in adding him at the tdl for a playoff run, imo. 

How are we cap situation wise if we keep him? 

How much cap do we have to dump to be compliant next season with Kuz and Miller contracts kicking in? 

Also keep in mind adding Hronek and AB in exchange for Bo's cap hit this year is another big increase. 

Thats 4 players that take up more cap space than this past season and we were a cap team to the dollar. 

Keeping Myers sounds like defense will stay status quo and we won't be able to add another top 4 D

But does that mean we need to get rid of some forwards? If so, who? 

Are we banking on Pearson, Poolman on LTIR? Their salaries don't cover the increases

34 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hopefully the Canucks management team is not thinking this way. That's a great way to be over-confident and lazy with our approach based on nothing but hopes and dreams. Completely wrong attitude. If the players and management take this approach we will almost assuredly miss out again. This team needs to get better. As currently constructed it is clearly not good enough, and hasn't been good enough for years. It's time to actually figure out how to improve the team in order to be competitive and stop resting on our laurels. I do have faith it can be done. It's tricky but our little run this year is not sustainable winning hockey in this league, just like last year.

RT has said this many times, you don’t think management is in line? Come on, everyone can see the difference of fitness from the beginning of the season to mid way. It’s completely  part of the issue. 

I can see that half the league is playing and in top game shape for about a month passed the non playoff teams. That longer and higher fitness level is an advantage for next year as well. 

It’s time that these guys keep a close to peak level of training all year round. It will make a difference.

Also do not discount Demko. Once recovered from his injury, he is a game breaker. He was not right when we started the season. 

At peak form, Petey is a top 5-10 forward, Miller a top 10-15 forward, Demko at top 5 goalie and Hughes a top 5 defender. At peak form…..

The other main issue was the defensive structure which seems to have improved and could very well be sustainable. You won’t win games if you can’t defend, especially when we had the league worst PK. 

Edited by grandmaster
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Training Camp is no longer the time to get in shape. 

No more sluggish starts.

I believe we would have been in the playoffs these last 2 years if this was not an issue. 

I don’t believe this at all.

Maybe players like Virtanen but he is not the ordinary NHL player.

I believe the ”get in shape”- excuse is just an easy way out of hard questions if the team doesn’t perform.

If someone on the team can’t be motivated he just hires a PT to fix the problem long before training camp.

That excuse resonates very well with a lot of fans so it’s very easy to use it and get away with it.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Don't be so hyperbolic.  Now that he's in a decent system he's playing well.  

I get complainers gotta complain though

What better place to be hyperbolic. 
I just don’t believe he has any value at all. He has been mostly terrible for us especially last three years and was a mess of trying to hard and sitting in the box in the playoffs. 
I will believe he can be traded when he is traded and will give all the credit in the world to the management if getting rid of him costs less than a second round pick. 
I think the Myers will be traded and OEL will be bought out narratives are pure bunk and stand almost zero chance of either happening. Will be another season before can truly rebuild D. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

How much cap do we have to dump to be compliant next season with Kuz and Miller contracts kicking in? 

Also keep in mind adding Hronek and AB in exchange for Bo's cap hit this year is another big increase. 

Thats 4 players that take up more cap space than this past season and we were a cap team to the dollar. 

Keeping Myers sounds like defense will stay status quo and we won't be able to add another top 4 D

Are we banking on Pearson, Poolman on LTIR? Their salaries don't cover the increases

Essentially if we trade one of Brock, Beau or Garland we are cap compliant with what we have.
All three really need to go to make any significant changes assuming that Myers and OEL are with us next year (I would call that 99% certain).

I think it’s in our best interest to keep Brock and move Garland and Beau if it’s about shedding cap and flexibility. Both the latter have friendlier caps, with Brock I still believe teams want him for free (as per Bo telling us) he will bounce back next year and he may be the piece at TDL next year that gives us a positional add for final push because we will be a playoff team. :towel:

10 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Well, they're going to have to make some tough moves regardless.  If they can move Myers and get something decent, I'm good with it.  But he'll have decent value at the tdl, so if they have to add a sweetener to move him in the summer, I'd prefer they wait.  This org isn't yet in a position to do that, imo 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

RT has said this many times, you don’t think management is in line? Come on, everyone can see the difference of fitness from the beginning of the season to mid way. It’s completely  part of the issue. 

I can see that half the league is playing and in top game shape for about a month passed the non playoff teams. That longer and higher fitness level is an advantage for next year as well. 

It’s time that these guys keep a close to peak level of training all year round. It will make a difference.

Also do not discount Demko. Once recovered from his injury, he is a game breaker. He was not right when we started the season. 

At peak form, Petey is a top 5-10 forward, Miller a top 10-15 forward, Demko at top 5 goalie and Hughes a top 5 defender. At peak form…..

The other main issue was the defensive structure which seems to have improved and could very well be sustainable. You won’t win games if you can’t defend, especially when we had the league worst PK. 

Yup I agree with all of this just not that fitness and goaltending is the only issue and with that we're a playoff team. We also need to be better personnel wise. It doesn't matter how fit we are if we roll out the exact same team we'll be on the outside looking in. Maybe a 15% of grabbing the last spot.

It's a massive task for management but I am hopeful they are up to it and make some positive ground up there. It may involve trading this or next years first though, or being extremely creative. The biggest obstacle is finding a top 4 RD and affording him. In that respect it's also a positive that we don't need many moves, just 2 or 3 good ones.