The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 Canucks end of season media availability

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Not surprising to see players in a somber mood.

These guys crave competition and knowing that they fell short of their goal and have to wait 5 months to compete again has gotta be tough.

Not to mention they’ve got to say goodbye to guys who are basically their brothers for three or four months. Can’t be easy.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

I am going to use my own words and exercise a bit more patience with OEL.

Getting older you don't heal up as quickly as you'd like. I like that he has a positive attitude and seems to be good teammate. The hate he gets is more of this salary cap hit, and Benning taint more than the player. I'm hoping he surprises the haters.

• Like 1

I secretly hope NJ bombs out because I don't want Quinn getting too on board with other teams that are winning. It's only natural for him to be there and support his brother...but I'd rather him not associate a "great" experience with another team after experiencing more disappointment with this one. I'm a bad person, I know. Selfish reasons.

But then again, that would mean I'd have to cheer for the Rangers so....probably not. Even though my bff Lafreniere is there.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Thing is though....patience IS required and some just say/think it's "same ol'" but changes have been made. Some significant ones.

So there's no reason not to believe things could be different. Demko was out and most teams that get there rely on solid goaltending. Ours was a little suspect at times. Yes, it did expose some weaknesses but we've also got Hronek coming in so a wait and see isn't totally unwarranted. We've been "damaged" as fans by what we've seen unfold with awful starts. But we have to also take a bit of a wait and see and not panic.

I do get that people aren't buying in and proof's in the pudding. So it's understandable, but I have hope (again) that things will be different. I think Tocchet will be on top of it if it shows any signs of going totally south again. He's expecting things from the group over the summer and will likely read the riot actot anyone not on board.

I don't disagree with your assessment at all, but being the long suffering and cynical fan that I've become, I will hold my breath and reserve judgement until I actually see meaningful, and continued forward momentum.

I like Tocchet a lot, and I'm hoping his message (even more so) next year drills some of the complacency and bad habits that still linger in the room....and I hope, as always, that the FO will put in to motion the things that they say and promise. 

They've made great strides for sure, but there's much more needed (obviously), so I'll remain cautiously optimistic, while aspiring to be stoked :towel:

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Man, kudos to the players for tolerating the most boneheaded questions.

Between Drance and his garbage to the clown from TSN (he called Torts “Mike” once) these clowns are embarrassing in their dumb and reductive questions. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I secretly hope NJ bombs out because I don't want Quinn getting too on board with other teams that are winning. It's only natural for him to be there and support his brother...but I'd rather him not associate a "great" experience with another team after experiencing more disappointment with this one. I'm a bad person, I know. Selfish reasons.

But then again, that would mean I'd have to cheer for the Rangers so....probably not. Even though my bff Lafreniere is there.

I like that Huggy points out that NJ bombed for a season or two, and look where they are now. That he's hoping for a quick turnaround for the Canucks.

That and it seems the players are more hungry now. That's good motivation. And they've learned just because you finish strong you can't take anything for granted.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I like that Huggy points out that NJ bombed for a season or two, and look where they are now. That he's hoping for a quick turnaround for the Canucks.

That and it seems the players are more hungry now. That's good motivation. And they've learned just because you finish strong you can't take anything for granted.

Difference is NJD bombed hard and the right way, got top-5 picks consistently, whereas we're back out of the top-10 again. Surely even the players understand this but tanking from a player's perspective is just not on.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I forgot if the yr NJ first won the lottery and drafted Hischer was when they started tanking. Then they won again 2 years after and drafted J Hughes, and then L Hughes and Nemec. I'd be honest I am very jealous of NJ as they look like they're on the rise. L. Hughes apparently is said might be the best of the 3 brothers which is super scary. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • elephant 1