The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

13 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Again it only benfits the Canucks and not EP it benefits the Canucks as there’s 0 risk of him declining over the contract. It benefits the Canucks as u can trade him because he has terms left. It benefits the Canucks coz it’s likely below what he normally would have gotten. Good chance he can get those contract also still a chance he won’t get those contract? So what if he declines before then? What if he have an injury before then? What if he suffers a few concussion before then? Literally 0 risk for the Canucks and let EP takes on every single risk 

That’s a lot of what ifs.

So, what’s the benefit for him in signing a long term contract with the team and possibly being stuck on a team, with no direction?

Money, I guess. 

• Vintage 1

What I get out of all this is the management wasn’t willing to offer anywhere close to what I’m looking for and they don’t believe I can replicate last season so there’s no point of talking until after the season. Otherwise I don’t see why he all of a sudden decides to hold all contract talks. He could have done it at the beginning of the off season 

• Wat 1

4 minutes ago, shiznak said:

That’s a lot of what ifs.

So, what’s the benefit for him in signing a long term contract with the team and possibly being stuck on a team, with no direction?

Money, I guess. 

He can be traded if the team is going no where? You think Vancouver is going to hold on to EP and let him rot as an asset if the team have no direction and is going no where? Or you going to say no one is going to trade for a 11mil+ star player coz they have no cap room? Eichel got traded karlsson got traded so that’s not even a concern as long as he’s playing up to his contract 

I don't see anything unusual in Pettersson's approach to negotiating a new contract. A possible eight year deal takes him through his most productive years and he wants to makes sure he is adequately compensated for carrying the team to the best years of their franchise life. That's the ideal. So far he has had two good seasons and a great season but wants to show next year he can do even better. By then we will know how much more the salary cap will be and what would be a fair chunk for Petey. I am pretty sure it's going to start with a 12 or 13.

50 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

He can be traded if the team is going no where? You think Vancouver is going to hold on to EP and let him rot as an asset if the team have no direction and is going no where? Or you going to say no one is going to trade for a 11mil+ star player coz they have no cap room? Eichel got traded karlsson got traded so that’s not even a concern as long as he’s playing up to his contract 

Well, considering you said that Pettersson is going to decline at the age of 30. Which contending team is going to trade for him without any retention? I would also guess, Vancouver wouldn’t want to trade him in his prime, and Pettersson will probably have some sort of NTC in his contract, which limits Vancouver to trade him to certain teams.

Also, what if Pettersson becomes damaged goods within his contract (like you said injuries, etc)? Do you think teams will be lining up for his services? 

Edited by shiznak

Pettersson has immensely high expectations for himself and everyone around him. He’s got something to prove and intends to show just how good he can be.
 Why would he sign a contract sooner rather than later and particularly before having one more season to demonstrate his worth? He’s betting on a more rounded and successful team with which he can showcase his off season focus on training and conditioning. 

He knows what he can bring and isn’t signing anything until the rest of us, including management, have seen it. 

As far as potential injuries go, he’s too confident in himself to go through life worrying about what ifs. He got this far. One more year at his planned next level and then it’s time to talk. I believe it’s as much about proving himself as it is about the money. 

Edited by Barnstorm
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Well, considering you said that Pettersson is going to decline at the age of 30. Which contending team is going to trade for him without any retention? I would also guess, Vancouver wouldn’t want to trade him in his prime, and Pettersson will probably have some sort of NTC in his contract, which limits Vancouver to trade him to certain teams.

Also, what if Pettersson becomes damaged goods within his contract (like you said injuries, etc)? Do you think teams will be lining up for his services? 

ok so therefore EP should sign a contract that's no risk and all benefits for the canucks and he should shoulder all the risk? 

It still amazes me that people think 10.5m is a “low-ball” offer. He would be tied for the 10th highest cap hit in the league, and don’t talk about inflation of the cap, because I already went through that in this thread.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

ok so therefore EP should sign a contract that's no risk and all benefits for the canucks and he should shoulder all the risk? 

There’s risk to everything, if you talk about injuries. 

I mean, he’s taking a risk right now, if that report of him not wanting to talk contract extension.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, shiznak said:

There’s risk to everything, if you talk about injuries. 

I mean, he’s taking a risk right now, if that report of him not wanting to talk contract extension.

there's risk to everything so where's the risk for the canucks? there's none

• Wat 1

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

there's risk to everything so where's the risk for the canucks? there's none

He doesn’t reach his fullest potential and only becomes a 60-70 points player. He becomes injury prone, throughout his contract. 

• Cheers 1

So the cards have been played and unfortunately, Petey is taking a play out of Horvat's playbook. 

This new management has shown they are willing to pay, "fair market value" for their players and obviously, Petey is thinking he is owed more. This regime, unlike the past, does not pay for what you May accomplish, they pay you what you are worth. 

I am thinking that management is going to get ahead of this and trade him off, while they still are driving the bus. 

I liked it that he said that he wanted to win,................ well that is not what he is saying now, that is a huge red flag.  Now he is saying he is not sure if he wants a short or long term contract, ...........just excuses. 

We need to move on him ASAP, before it gets ugly. 

He is not in the same mind set as Hughes or Miller, when they signed their contracts, his agenda seems to be different.

Sad some players think that way, really.

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

The team may also have to take what's on the table if they're not prepared to trade him, I would not be shocked if Pettersson opted for a shorter term deal when it's all said and done.

Any deal likely takes him to UFA, even if we opt to not match his price down the line another team would via UFA.

Some agents want guys to come up for renewal at around 29 so that they can try ton squeeze out a last max term contract that teams will regret.

That doesn’t mean a team HAS to play ball.

Edited by Provost

54 minutes ago, shiznak said:

He doesn’t reach his fullest potential and only becomes a 60-70 points player. He becomes injury prone, throughout his contract. 

if he doesn't reach his fullest potential he's still probably a 80point + guy.. he's literally been close to a ppg guy his entire career so that's not much of a risk you are literally saying he will regress to his career worse at 60-70 point guy.. if what you are saying is going to happen that's even less of a reason why EP would do ur short term deal lol.

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

if he doesn't reach his fullest potential he's still probably a 80point + guy.. he's literally been close to a ppg guy his entire career so that's not much of a risk you are literally saying he will regress to his career worse at 60-70 point guy.. if what you are saying is going to happen that's even less of a reason why EP would do ur short term deal lol.

2 seasons ago, he barely broke 65 points, if it weren’t for the last month and a half, where he scored like 19 points in 14 games.

Edited by shiznak