The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks
12 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If he want to be competitive and is serious about winning a cup he will keep it under 10. 

Petey is super competitive and wants to be part of a winner for sure. That's why his agent negotiates the contract and Petey will say whether he agrees or not when the agent believes there's a fair offer. 

10.5 x 8 might not be enough. Petey is an amazing player. He's top five at his position and we will be getting him through his prime where he will be (very likely) top five in the league. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Looking at potential comps... if I were JR/PA, I'd point to Barkov.  That'd be awesome if Petey signed a similar deal.

EDIT:  Just so I'm clear, I don't think $10M AAV.  For one, Petey is younger.  Then there's the tax advantage of Florida.  So maybe $10.5 to $11M.

$10.5M x 8 would be great.  That's Petey leaving $500k to $1M on the table.

Edited by HKSR
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Similar to previous threads with Horvat and Miller, setting up a Pettersson thread where we can post news and discuss it all in one place.

Waiting for the Hronek thread... that one should be interesting... ;)

• Cheers 2

Definitely if we can get Petey under $10M AAV it's a steal. I'm expecting his agents will start by asking for around $11M and hoping it gets negotiated down.

An interesting comparable to watch will be Sebastian Aho. While he's had a slight dip in production this year, he's consistently been a 30+ goal, PPG center who plays all situations and like Petey can start negotiations this summer.

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Give him the Tkachuk 9.5 million X 8 years, and call it a day. Hopefully they get this done and not be a big distraction. 

I love that his own agent referenced Tkachuk. I'd even plop an extra milli on top cause Petey's a centre. I'd take that and run.

• Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think if he keeps it at $10M x 8, that's a discount.  Realistically, Petey is probably worth $11M+.

If we all take our homer glasses off, we can see that Pastrnak should be a hard ceiling for Petey.  

Pasta has numerous seasons as a top goal scorer/point producer. Petey has 1.  

Pasta scored 60 goals this year. 

I do agree that Petey taking 10 mil would be a slight discount, but it's close to fair. Let's keep in mind that Quinn is making under 8 mil.  

6 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'd expect his agents would start with $13 million with a limited NTC as his starting point.  I wouldn't be surprised if they settled just short of McOMMFG money with a modified NMC.

That seems more realistic than his agent starting at $11m. I hope they can end at $11m.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'd expect his agents would start with $13 million with a limited NTC as his starting point.  I wouldn't be surprised if they settled just short of McOMMFG money with a modified NMC.

You crazy dawg... I love Petey but he's not McDavid or MacKinnon, not even close.