The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

11th overall pick in the 2023 Entry Draft

Rate this topic

KyGuy123

24 minutes ago, McBackup said:

So your solution is to just keep shooting for mediocrity and hoping the stars align instead of trying to build a consistent competitor. 

Hate that over used word “mediocrity”. 

We’ve never “weaponized cap space” either. Nor have we ever rebuilt. This team has historically and will forever be fielding the most competitive team that they can EVERY year. 

You just have to accept it and move on. 

We made it to the Finals as a Cup favourite once and as a Cinderella team twice.

Don’t get worked up over it. It just is. 

Edited by grandmaster
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

A trade sweetener would be a conditional 2nd next year with Garland and a player back.

Garland pots 20g say, the pick becomes a 3rd.

Moving a first, in this draft, only if you can bring in a 25 or under RHD that can play top 3 Minutes in the NHL.

Oh wait, we did that already.

AB, Garland and Brock would be movable with a conditional 2nd, IMO for next year.

Just now, grandmaster said:

Hate that over used word “mediocrity”. 

We’ve never “weaponized cap space either. Nor have we ever rebuilt. This team has historically and will forever be fielding the most competitive team that can EVERY year. 

You just have to accept it and move on. 

We made it to the Finals as a Cup favourite once and as a Cinderella team twice.

Don’t get worked up over it. It just is. 

Now you’re putting words in my mouth. Nowhere did I say “rebuild”. I said I don’t expect them to magically clear up their cap issues, run back the same roster that failed the past year, and magically sneak into a wildcard spot and make a run to the cup. Aiming for the playoffs and hoping for the best is a less likely to be successful strategy than aiming for a cup and long term competitiveness.

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

A trade sweetener would be a conditional 2nd next year with Garland and a player back.

Garland pots 20g say, the pick becomes a 3rd.

Moving a first, in this draft, only if you can bring in a 25 or under RHD that can play top 3 Minutes in the NHL.

Oh wait, we did that already.

AB, Garland and Brock would be movable with a conditional 2nd, IMO for next year.

Do we have our 2nd next year?

• Sad 1

On 5/8/2023 at 5:58 PM, KyGuy123 said:

With the 11th overall pick in the 2023 NHL Entry Draft the Vancouver Canucks are proud to select?……. 

Discussion.

BPA. 

Lots of options.

Benson

Wood

Danielson

Sale

Moore

Barlow

Perreault 

Edited by TheQuietQuitter
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, McBackup said:

Now you’re putting words in my mouth. Nowhere did I say “rebuild”. I said I don’t expect them to magically clear up their cap issues, run back the same roster that failed the past year, and magically sneak into a wildcard spot and make a run to the cup. Aiming for the playoffs and hoping for the best is a less likely to be successful strategy than aiming for a cup and long term competitiveness.

Never said you did say rebuild. It’s just a common gripe a lot of guys keep repeating.

We don’t have Cap issues. I said that we will be Cap compliant and don’t need to shed Cap. I told you about the Hronek, Mik additions, no injured Dem and the intangible that has been our Achilles heel; the slow start. I have faith in this team and RT to ensure that does not happen next season.

36 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

IMO, wee would be insane not too take one of the two, should they be available.

Personally ASP plays like a Hughes 2.0 with a way more solid core and can hit with effect.

Reinbacher is a more prototypical NHL D man with a great outlet feed.

They are almost the same weight but Reinbacher is 3 inches taller.

ASP on the Right Side with Ep40 and Hughes, Miller and one of our dozen wingers would be a devastating PP.

devastating.

I agree. Priority is one of those defender unless by some miracle Michkov drops to the 11th spot…

5 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Never said you did say rebuild. It’s just a common gripe a lot of guys keep repeating.

We don’t have Cap issues. I said that we will be Cap compliant and don’t need to shed Cap. I told you about the Hronek, Mik additions, no injured Dem and the intangible that has been our Achilles heel; the slow start. I have faith in this team and RT to ensure that does not happen next season.

Those aren't mutually exclusive.  You can have $12 million in cap space taken up by two 3rd pairing defensemen and still be cap compliant.  Just won't have a good structured team.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Those aren't mutually exclusive.  You can have $12 million in cap space taken up by two 3rd pairing defensemen and still be cap compliant.  Just won't have a good structured team.

No one is saying we don’t have inefficient contracts. My argument is not that. It’s that we are not forced into having to get rid of those contracts. The sky is not falling like how some say they are.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

No one is saying we don’t have inefficient contracts. My argument is not that. It’s that we are not forced into having to get rid of those contracts. The sky is not falling like how some say they are.

You want to be able to compete to some degree though (increases the likelihood a guy like EP will re-sign as he's not going to want to waste his prime years in front of a blueline that is 50% of Myers & OEL).  Who's to stay Hronek will want to re-up as well.

Of course the sky isn't falling.  Jim Benning is no longer GM handing out those kinds of contracts to Myers & OEL. Not to mention have Travis Green as the head coach (Jim Benning's hand picked coach) where EP was looking like Boeser.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

You want to be able to compete to some degree though (increases the likelihood a guy like EP will re-sign as he's not going to want to waste his prime years in front of a blueline that is 50% of Myers & OEL).  Who's to stay Hronek will want to re-up as well.

Myers is not going to be in our Top 4 next season and he may not even be on this team if we can unload him on Sept 15th. Bear will likely be QH’s partner. An uninjured OEL paired with Hronek will be fine. 

We will be fine in terms of competitiveness.

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

Myers is not going to be in our Top 4 next season and he may not even be on this team if we can unload him on Sept 15th. Bear will likely be QH’s partner. An uninjured OEL paired with Hronek will be fine. 

We will be fine in terms of competitiveness.

:lol:  Hornek is good but he ain't that good to be carrying OEL.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

:lol:  Hornek is good but he ain't that good to be carrying OEL.

OEL in the season previous was a LOT better. I’m fairly confident that his foot injury was a big part of his big drop last season. Having a decent defensive partner and not the chaotic giraffe will also be a huge part in OEL’s comeback 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

OEL in the season previous was a LOT better. I’m fairly confident that his foot injury was a big part of his big drop last season. Having a decent defensive partner and not the chaotic giraffe will also be a huge part in OEL’s comeback 

Different head coach.  He was awful with Tocchet in Arizona.  But hopefully I'm wrong.  Heck I *want* to be wrong.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Boeser is fine. And so is Garland. The two killers are Myers and OEL. 

They are fine, but not together in the same team...

They don't PK and don't score enough together with Kuz, Petey and Beau our top 6 is way to soft, and they are too expensive as 3rd liners...

If at all we have an opportunity to make a decent trade, then it has to be done, for at least one of them.

Myers and OEL together is the same problem. Hopefully getting rid of Myers can get OEL up a level with a different RHD support.

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

They are fine, but not together in the same team...

They don't PK and don't score enough together with Kuz, Petey and Beau our top 6 is way to soft, and they are too expensive as 3rd liners...

If at all we have an opportunity to make a decent trade, then it has to be done, for at least one of them.

Myers and OEL together is the same problem. Hopefully getting rid of Myers can get OEL up a level with a different RHD support.

What about big trades with the Habs and Washington? 

Boeser to Washington for Mantha.

Garland to the Habs for Anderson.

All players have negative value. But at least we get bigger and tougher. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What about big trades with the Habs and Washington? 

Boeser to Washington for Mantha.

Garland to the Habs for Anderson.

All players have negative value. But at least we get bigger and tougher. 

Yes I won't say too much about whom, but if they can make the $ work, I'll be happy to see us get bigger...  Could be done with a few more Joshuas in the top 6/9

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yes I won't say too much about whom, but if they can make the $ work, I'll be happy to see us get bigger...  Could be done with a few more Joshuas in the top 6/9

Mantha might be tall but he doesn't play big. In fact his commitment was questioned by Detroit. Hot/Cold 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Hey Aaron Rome wasn't that bad outside of one late hit by a millisecond.:ph34r:

Those types of players that Jim Benning *FAILED* completely to acquire.  Not that Aaron Rome was anything special.  If anything, he was easily replacable (a depth defenseman).  Problem was Jim Benning signed guys like Poolman for several million on term.  Aaron Rome *NEVER* got a contract from the Canucks for over a million (highest was an amount that could be completely buried in the AHL).  Benning was more than solid in setting up a team for future success (revamping the *amateur* scouting department with huge success) but was completely lost on how to support those elite prospects with a good (and cheap) supporting cast.  Schenn was an exception but unfortunately he was the rare example of the pro scouting department doing its job.

Spot on...

Rome got ridiculed by our fan base constantly, but he was great at, what he was brought in for... a big stay at home Dman at next to no cost.

And his importance to the team was felt severely, when he got tossed from the finals...

And yes, to start with, he wanted to support the future stars and show them how cup winners go about their business, but he spent way too much money on players, that didn't live up to their contracts.

I did like some of his support players Dorsett was good here, and so was Motte, but both were smallish... the few larger players Benning brought in never played that big.

Hopefully that is going to change.

• Cheers 1