The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[ECF] Carolina Hurricanes (M1) vs. Florida Panthers (WC2) | Panthers win series 4-0

Rate this topic

2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Conference Finals  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Hurricanes in 4
    • Hurricanes in 5
    • Hurricanes in 6
    • Hurricanes in 7
    • Panthers in 4
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/21/2023 at 12:00 AM

7 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, People, Face, Head, Clothing, Coat

Sure some love for Lui even if he did crap his shorts in 2011 in more ways than one. It was his CUP to win in 2011. 

How about some kudos to Paul Maurice. He says no thanks to the dressing room in Winnipeg and takes on the Panthers. The team underwhelmed thru the season and yet pulls it together for a great CUP run. Hard not to cheer for these guys. 

• Vintage 1

20 hours ago, DeNiro said:

We can keep laughing at Juolevi all we want but I still think that was a failure on the training staffs part too.

Surely they would have known that this was not a player that had good enough fitness to go through the rigours of training camp. He should have been kept off the ice until he got himself into proper shape. Setting up a young kid to fail IMO even if it is on him.

No, he was a 3 dressed up as a 9 he was only wasting our time. 

• There it is 2

6 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I find it a sad irony that Benning said he drafted for character guys and his first two top 10 picks (Jake and OJ) lacked strength of character. Both were weak minded. No courage. No toughness of character to sacrifice. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

Just now, Alflives said:

I find it a sad irony that Benning said he drafted for character guys and his first two top 10 picks (Jake and OJ) lacked strength of character. Both were weak minded. No courage. No toughness of character to sacrifice. 

Omg so true. Both bustaroo's. 

• Cheers 1

Boooo!!  The pettiness is strong in this thread!  Hockey is never going to be big in Florida.  Vegas is establishing long term fans which is great for the game. (And ultimately helps with the cap going up as well)

Go Vegas!!  Rain on everyone's parade!

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

20 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Boooo!!  The pettiness is strong in this thread!  Hockey is never going to be big in Florida.  Vegas is establishing long term fans which is great for the game. (And ultimately helps with the cap going up as well)

Go Vegas!!  Rain on everyone's parade!

dont be petty.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He never looked like a “9” to me…

Seemed like they were drafting by position and didn’t even target the best D man.

What had this team lacked forever at the time? An elite puck moving D or a big physical presence on the back end. Juolevi filled neither of those. He was considered a “safe” pick by many. Safe gets you nowhere as thankfully they learned the following two drafts.

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He never looked like a “9” to me…

Seemed like they were drafting by position and didn’t even target the best D man.

What had this team lacked forever at the time? An elite puck moving D or a big physical presence on the back end. Juolevi filled neither of those. He was considered a “safe” pick by many. Safe gets you nowhere as thankfully they learned the following two drafts.

Are you suggesting that “safe” is never the way to go? And by “safe” I assume you mean the combined public/private consensus. 

An interesting draft strategy if taken to its logical conclusion of trying to hit a home run with each and every pick. I suppose there’s a actual GM out there willing to give it a try.

23 minutes ago, zimmy said:

Are you suggesting that “safe” is never the way to go? And by “safe” I assume you mean the combined public/private consensus. 

An interesting draft strategy if taken to its logical conclusion of trying to hit a home run with each and every pick. I suppose there’s an actual GM out there willing to give it a try.

Im saying safe is taking a player that is well rounded and good at most things but doesn’t actually excel at any. A player that is safe to be let’s say a third pair D or third line center at worst but likely won’t reach their potential.

I’d rather a player with elite hockey IQ/stick handling/playmaking speed etc. that might be weaker or lack a defensive game but can get stronger and work on their D game.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Im saying safe is taking a player that is well rounded and good at most things but doesn’t actually excel at any. A player that is safe to be let’s say a third pair D or third line center at worst but likely won’t reach their potential.

I’d rather a player with elite hockey IQ/stick handling/playmaking speed etc. that might be weaker or lack a defensive game but can get stronger and work on their D game.

A player that pops! Yes, I’m down with this.

I’m of the mind , though, that when we look at consensus rankings, “safety” is a valued and historically consistent attribute when it comes to selections. And , I believe, that often the safe pick is the eventual “right” pick. 

Hey, maybe we blew it that first year by taking the safe, expected pick Dale Tallon over Reggie Leach?

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, zimmy said:

I’m of the mind , though, that when we look at consensus rankings, “safety” is a valued and historically consistent attribute when it comes to selections. And , I believe, that often the safe pick is the eventual “right” pick. 

Hey, maybe we blew it that first year by taking the safe, expected pick Dale Tallon over Reggie Leach?

We passed on Sittler too. 

2 minutes ago, zimmy said:

And MacLeish …..

I wasn’t old enough to even know what the draft was but remember watching those guys continue to dominate us even in the eighties !!

14 hours ago, zimmy said:

Reggie Leach took 5 pro years and 3 NHL teams before he hit his stride. Look at as line mates when he got to Philly. Talon went to an expansion team in a Canadian city that had high expectations. At that, Talon was pretty decent when he was put in tough situations. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Reggie Leach took 5 pro years and 3 NHL teams before he hit his stride. Look at as line mates when he got to Philly. Talon went to an expansion team in a Canadian city that had high expectations. At that, Talon was pretty decent when he was put in tough situations. 

Tallon was drafted as a defenseman but because the Canucks had very little talent up front he was slotted in as a forward, which he did and OK job. The Flyers were on the cusp of something and had Clarke, Barber, et al as leaders. Leach and Tallon, I'd still take Tallon in a draft as they came out of Junior. Tallon got them Korab and another big D, and in the mid 70's Phil Maloney had a decent hockey team going in Vancouver.

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Ah yes, the vagaries of judgement when it comes to drafting. Every draft has a story as do each of the selections. Right place right time, late bloomers, safe picks, sexy picks. 

Sure would be nice if it was all just irrefutable science, although it wouldn’t be half as much fun around here without the hand wringing, trauma and on going stress. 

With you on Talon. Never saw him play but have a good read on him historically. He becomes a bigger star if Philly gets him, right? I mean Bob Daily blossomed there after we traded him there.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Rather have drafted Sittler. I read his book and he thought the Canucks were going to take him.