The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Matthews walks to Anaheim via free agency

50 minutes ago, Quantum said:

I think Auston Matthews goes to Arizona and saves the franchise. That's what I believe. They'll have the cap space to give him the biggest contract in NHL history next summer if he chooses to walk.

Totally agree. There’s a reason why Matthews insisted on a contract that took him to his first free agent year and had a no trade in the final season. He wants to get to pick his destination. He goes to Arizona and saves hockey there and that’s a legacy that very few have. Gretzky in California. Mario in Pittsburgh. Auston in Arizona. He might like that company. 

• Cheers 1

On 5/13/2023 at 1:38 PM, Bob.Loblaw said:

Arizona is lame but that's his home.  He grew up there.  His family and friends are from there.  He spends his summers there.  Maybe if Matthews can't get a deal going with the front office he bolts to a better team in Anaheim, but he'll definitely want to play in Scottsdale.

More importantly, Matthews must decide if he wants to be on a competitive team or a rebuilding team.  Teams like Anaheim and Chicago are rebuilding.  They will certainly improve over time but their teams absolutely suck.  He could decide to join other big teams like LA, New York, or Vegas.  Or something that everyone here has ignored - he could just re-sign with Toronto long term.

As for getting a raise, I'm not entirely sure.  I know that he is a potential 60 goal scorer, but he had a poor year by his own standards.  If he has another down year, do you think he will earn more than MacKinnon and McDavid?  More questions than answers here.

Lol imagine if Matthews went to Chicago... they'll have to fill out their wings but Matthews - Bedard up the middle would be something special.
Agreed though he'll probably go to Arizona (and re: OP I wonder if they'll trade Nylander also, and build around JT and Marner (could also re-sign O'Reilly to be that defensive 2C).

10 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

I understood you were only suggesting what they may want, but I'm not sold on him as somebody I'd even want part of my team. 

But like I said, some dumb ass team is going to offer the moon, whether it's via a trade, or his next contract. 

I personally don't want the Canucks to be any part of that. 

And you're right, when/if he's traded, he will get quite the return. 

Someone also mentioned he has a NMC kicking in July 1? 

So far he hasn't done squat really in the postseason.   Sure he's had some tough teams, that's one thing Toronto has had some bad luck with in the first round, despite having some of their best regular seasons ever, that division/conference is just stacked right now.     As for his clause, i'm pretty sure he'd be open to a trade if they can't come to a number he likes.   

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

So far he hasn't done squat really in the postseason.   Sure he's had some tough teams, that's one thing Toronto has had some bad luck with in the first round, despite having some of their best regular seasons ever, that division/conference is just stacked right now.     As for his clause, i'm pretty sure he'd be open to a trade if they can't come to a number he likes.   

That's true, but "elite" players like him and supposedly Tavares, and you could even throw Marner into that mix, are suppose to be able to elevate their game and pretty much insist upon winning. I don't see that in any of them. That's the difference between winning rounds and the Cup, compared to golfing. 

Anyway, he's not someone I'd want on the Canucks. 

• Cheers 1

I highly doubt Matthews walks at the end of his contract. TOR is going to want to maximize the return with a trade, and they will get a big haul. ARI also has a lot of cap space.

(e.g.?)

to ARI - Matthews

to TOR - 1st (2025), 2nd (2026), Guenther, Lamoureux, and Kassian (TOR might try to add grit)

The Coyotes will have Keller-Matthews-Schmaltz (they'll still suck, which means TOR will have ARI's high 1st in 2025).

With Matthews on the team the Yotes should fill that high school arena. Bettman will be pleased. :picard: 

25 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I highly doubt Matthews walks at the end of his contract. TOR is going to want to maximize the return with a trade, and they will get a big haul. ARI also has a lot of cap space.

(e.g.?)

to ARI - Matthews

to TOR - 1st (2025), 2nd (2026), Guenther, Lamoureux, and Kassian (TOR might try to add grit)

The Coyotes will have Keller-Matthews-Schmaltz (they'll still suck, which means TOR will have ARI's high 1st in 2025).

With Matthews on the team the Yotes should fill that high school arena. Bettman will be pleased. :picard: 

Matthews was interviewed today and he said he wants to stay in TO and have an extension in place before the end of the summer.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Matthews was interviewed today and he said he wants to stay in TO and have an extension in place before the end of the summer.

Wow, I never heard that. He's a sucker for punishment.  I'm assuming TOR will be making some big trades to shake things up. Tavares? Marner?

I think Matthews stays in Toronto still. 

But for fun, if he was to move LA should go hard for him. They have tons of young players with lots of value. A bunch of talented wingers signed long term. 1st round pick next season. I'd go hard with an offer starting with Byfield and a 1st + a top 6 forward (lots to pick from, including some centers). Then smooth out the details maybe another prospect added in or another 1st round pick. 

LA gives up a ton of stuff to Toronto, but keeps most of their best players and adds an elite #1C (contract agreed upon prior to the trade). They still have great young players, guys like Kopitar who are good, but also about to expire in another year (10 million freed up) and LA is ready for their contending window. As a Canucks fan I hate it. We'd be playing regularly against McDavid, Matthews, Bedard all in the West...what the heck. 

But LA should do it, cause why not and Matthews will be a star in that city.  

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Wow, I never heard that. He's a sucker for punishment.  I'm assuming TOR will be making some big trades to shake things up. Tavares? Marner?

Tavares has a no move clause. Marner has a no move kick in July 1, 2023. Same day as Matthews has his kick in. IMHAO the Leafs will run it back with pretty much the same club and Dubas as GM. And Keafe is Dubas’ guy so he will be coming back too.